5 days road trip from Washington DC

Old Mar 12th, 2013, 08:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5 days road trip from Washington DC

Hi everyone,

I am planning a 5 days road trip on the end of April from Washington DC. I really would like to have a real American experience, what do you recommend?

Thanks
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 05:51 AM

That's like saying: I'm coming to Europe and want a real European experience. What, in your mind, is a real American experience? Disneyworld? The Grand Canyon? New York City?
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 01:55 PM

I think a real American experience would be visiting Mount Veron, George Washington's home, just south of D.C. Then keep going and visit Woodlawn Plantation to get a hint of what life was like way back when (and thankfully gone now). Continue on to Gunston Hall, an 18th-century house with beautiful gardens. Then head to Virginia and visit Williamsburg. Finish up with a visit to Thomas Jefferson's home, Monticello.

There are any number of other historic sights in Virginia--you could easily spend a month there.
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 01:56 PM

That should be Mount VerNon. Submit went too quickly for a change.
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 02:53 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Explore the Blue Ridge Parkway and adjacent areas in Virginia. It's easily accessible from DC, and you can include some beautiful countryside and some wonderful, historic towns and architecture, e.g. Charlottesville VA, which has both Monticello and the University of Virginia campuses, the epitome of Thomas Jefferson's genius (and arrogance.)

Here's a trip report I did a couple of years ago for the area: http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...ring-break.cfm

...and some photos from that trip: http://gardyloo.us/Spring2011.htm
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 10:48 PM
Original Poster

thanks for your replies. Actually I would like to explore the countryside and I would also like to visit a city like New Orleans.. What places do you think would fit?
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 10:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. Actually I would like to explore the countryside and I would also like to visit a city like New Orleans.. What places do you think would fit? I like to drive so I don´t mind to spend more time in the road if I end up in really nice places
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 05:37 AM

You can't get to New Orleans and back to Washington in five days driving and have any time to see the city or sightsee on the way. It is 15 hours each way BEHIND THE WHEEL so eating, sightseeing, buying fuel, sleeping, etc come on top of that. You get to NO, have a day, then drive back.

That is all on motorways. These are not the most horrible motorways in the US, but they are no great things of beauty and you will have to get off them sometimes to see America. Google says you can drive the whole way off the interstate highways, but it will take you an extra day.

Do you know the cost of driving the car one way (so as to see the country) then flying back to your starting point? There will be a fee for leaving the car rather than returning it to your destination, but it will not be horrendous, particularly if you book the car before coming to the US.

Think about the answers to these question. There are other areas that are much closer: the Eastern Shore of Maryland and Virginia, northwestern New Jersey and on to the Adirondacks in New York, all of New England, and so forth that would be easier, esp if you took the train or flew to your starting point.
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 07:41 AM

If you want to explore the countryside, really you can't do better than a trip to into Virginia - much of the drive from Washington to Charlottesville is beautiful rolling hills (horse country), there's part of the Blue Ridge Parkway, lots of charming small towns, historical towns and sites, etc. (Nothing like New Orleans, however )
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 08:07 AM

If you are going from Washington, can I assume that you have explored the city? If not, then spend a few days there, then head out either to the Williamsburg/Virginal Beach area for the shore or to the Blue Ridge area for the uplands. Both areas have historic sites and small towns along the way.

Weather should be mild in April and spring flowers should be plooming.
Old Mar 15th, 2013, 11:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for your replies
Old Mar 17th, 2013, 07:10 PM
Original Poster

Any more ideas?