Ideal location to stay in San Fran

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2005, 05:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning to stay 4 nights in San Fran in 7/06. This will be our first trip and are really unfamiliar with the various districts within the city. We are in our early 30s and would like to be near some action, but also in a nice location. Also, we will be utilizing public transport from the airport upon our arrival and will need an easy location to grab a rental car on our way out of San Fran as we will be driving to Carmel area after our stay in San Fran. Our budget is around $100.00 or less per night. I know Cow Hollow Inn has gotten good reviews, but wasn't sure if it was in an idal location. Any suggestions??
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 09:11 AM

I think Cow Hollow Inn is an ideal location. It's within 3 blocks of Union St and 1 block of Chestnut, where there is lots of "action" in both the daytime & evening.

Here is a thing I wrote up awhile back, describing our most popular hotel areas.

San Francisco Hotel Areas
It seems that about once every week, there is a discussion about “where to stay” while visiting San Francisco – especially for first timers. Most people ask about either the Union Square, Fisherman’s Wharf, or the Marina/Cow Hollow hotel areas. Here are some thoughts, with a little of my bias thrown in:

1. Union Square - This is downtown’s fashionable shopping/dining/hotel area. The “Grand” hotels are here, and a few blocks north on Nob Hill (very steep to walk there, however) The big department stores are close by, along with many smaller shops and “boutique” hotels. It is also next to the theater district. Perhaps our most “elegant” restaurants are in this area (Fleur de Lys, Farallon, Masa’s, Ritz Carlton, Postrio, etc). There are fewer “simple”, “Mom-n-Pop”, or ethnic restaurants than you will find in other parts of the City. The Cable Cars run by Union Square, so you can get to the Wharf area quickly. You can get off the Hyde St C.C. line at Union St for a walk downhill to Union St/Chestnut St (Cow Hollow/Marina). The major drawback is it’s proximity to the gritty Tenderloin, which is immediately west & south of Union Square. I don’t know if crime rates are higher, but you will feel a little more threatened than you will in the other two districts I’ll describe. There are many high-rise buildings, so there’s a little less sunlight than you will find elsewhere. Union Sq. is perhaps not as “family oriented” as the other two hotel areas. It gets more business travelers, and people who want a little more “luxury” in their hotel. Union Square is a bit “dead” on Sundays, and not as lively as the other places in the evening. I don’t enjoy strolling after dinner in this area as much as I do on Union St/Chestnut St. If you have a car, you will regret it. Parking is very expensive ($50 per night or so), and driving is difficult.

2. Fisherman’s Wharf. The Wharf is mostly inhabited by tourists. Plenty of souvenir shops selling T-shirts & other things to remind you of your visit to SF. Local entertainment includes a wax museum, Ripley’s Believe-it-or-Not, and now a Hooters – things kids might enjoy (except for the Hooters). You won’t find many locals in this area (and if you did – they wouldn’t admit it). Most restaurants are tourist oriented, and most locals feel they are mediocre at best. Good proximity to the Cable Cars, which is a plus. Nice views out into the Bay. It’s also within walking distance of North Beach, which should be on everyone’s agenda for at least one Italian dinner and “people watching” evening. With the Cable Cars, it’s quick to get downtown, but you might have to wait in line for 30 mins or so at peak times. It’s about a 30 min walk to the Union St/Chestnut St areas (see 3rd option for description). The Wharf is a perfectly safe area (from crime, vagrants, etc). Hotels usually charge $25-$40 per day for parking. Lively (with tourists) every day. If you want to stay in a typical un-San Francisco environment, this is a good choice.

3. Marina. There are many motels along Lombard St, which are (in general) cheaper and much more simple than the ones you will find in the other two districts. The main advantage to this area, in my opinion, is that it has more typical SF “flavor” than the other spots. Lombard St is one block from Chestnut St, and two blocks from Union St. Both these streets are loaded with boutiques, restaurants, and buildings with unique architecture (Victorians on Union, Art Deco on Chestnut). When we first moved to San Francisco almost 30 years ago, I remember a poster that said “If you left your heart in San Francisco, you will probably find it on Union St”. This is a residential area and you will find many locals doing their daily “stuff.” On a Sunday morning (especially if it’s sunny) you will see many folks going to the exercise studio, having breakfast at one of the many outdoor café’s, and standing on the street with their “lattes” and chatting with friends. There are no “elegant” restaurants in this area, but many of the type that locals enjoy (Isa, Betelnut, Chaz, Pane e Vino, PlumpJack, Balboa Café, Merende). This is a good area for strolling during the day, before dinner, and after dinner – it is quite lively, especially on weekends. It’s about a 30 min walk to the Wharf, where you can catch a Cable Car (or walk up Union St to catch the CC). East of the Union St shopping area, (just past Van Ness) is Polk St, where there are more nice shops & restaurants. Also on Polk St is La Folie, which is one of my favorite restaurants (if someone else is buying) and also one of the highest “rated” in the City. This is a perfectly safe area. One of it’s best advantages, is that you can park a car free at many of the Motels. Also, it is an easy area to drive in (although there are steep hills just south), and it’s a quick trip across the Golden Gate bridge to my favorite view in all the Bay Area (GGNRA, just north and to the west of the Bridge).

Stu Dudley

Old Dec 28th, 2005, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input. Appreciate it. Stil looking unto more detail with regards to proximity to public transport. Forgot to mention that we will be taking the BART into Oakland two nights to see Red Sox games. We will not have a car until we leave to go on more adventures of Cali.
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 05:12 PM

StuDudley

Do you know of the Hotel Carlton? TripAdvisor gave it good reviews. Is it in a good location? We are going May 29th for two nights before heading on to Hawaii...

NannyJan
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 05:42 PM

travelgirl12.

If you're going to take BART & get back late at night, I suggest that you stay in the Union Sq area - although I doubt that you will find many places that are decent, within your budget, and are in a good location in that area. You can take BART, then above ground transportation either by Taxi (from Hyatt Regency near Embarcadero BART station, or from the Palace Hotel near the Montgomery station), or take a bus. If you stay at the Wharf, there is a street-car connection from BART that runs along the Embarcadero to the Wharf.

Nannymer.
I don't know the hotel, since I've never had a need to stay in a SF hotel, but the location is a little too far out, IMO. Try to get a little closer to Powell St if you want to stay in the Union Sq area. The area is a little "dicey" also - especially if you plan to walk a lot. I would not want to stay in that location & if I wanted to impress someone with SF, I wouldn't pick that area.

Stu Dudley
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 06:14 PM

Stu, we are planning a family trip to California for early next year (2007). We plan to fly into San Fran and stay a couple of days before driving down the coast to San Diego. My first feat, where to stay with 3 kids in San Fran? Of course, we are on a budget and I don't want to pay a fortune for parking, but want to be in an area where we can get around to Fishermans Wharf, Alcatraz, Union Square and any other recommendations you may have? Please help me to get started with our journey.
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 12:25 AM

Another motel in the same (Cow Hollow) area is Motel Capri just off Lombard Street. Friends recently stayed there for about $80 per night and free parking. The room was small but clean and ya' can't beat the price in this pricey city. (Might work, too, for stressedmom.) I found this site that confirms customer satisfaction.

http://www.sftravel.com/hotels/htlma...otelcapri.html

That site also mentions other reasonable options.

You're smart to skip the car in the city. The Muni bus #30 runs near the Capri and takes you to many popular stops.

Here's the link to Muni: http://www.sfmuni.com/cms/mms/home/home50.htm

Mouse over "routes and schedules" and click on "route guide." Then scroll down to "30 Stockton" for a description of destinations on that route.

We have great public transportation in SF - Muni busses, Muni underground, BART, and cable cars - and you can get within a block of any popular destination if you're patient.

A quick word of safety - consider springing for a cab late at night. Depending where you're going to or coming from, busses late at night can be a little dicey. Dandy during the commute hours - a little stranger after 9pm.

Oh, and there are many rental car locations scattered throughout the city. Pick your favorite company and ask them for convenient locations.

Here are a couple more informative sites:

http://sanfrancisco.citysearch.com/
http://www.sanfrancisco.worldweb.com/
http://onlysf.sfvisitor.org/

Have a great time!
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 08:12 AM

Stressedmom

Your best bet would be a hotel in the Marina/Cow Hollow area (on Lombard St). Citygrrrl gave you a specific one. I've lived here for 30 years, so it's been a long time since I stayed in a hotel and know much about any particular one to recommend. If you drive down Lombard St, there must be 30 motels to choose from in about a 10 block stretch. Try to stay as close to Van Ness as possible so that you can easily walk to the Wharf, Cable Cars, etc. There must be 50 restaurants in that area also - most are moderatly priced with several good "burger joints" and pasta places - even an IHOP (I think - it may have been torn down recently). On week days early in the year, almost all will have vacancies. I think I saw one on Union & Van Ness recently that advertised a $59 room.

Stu Dudley
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 08:36 AM

A few years back we stayed at the Lombard Motor Inn, on the corner of Lombard and Van Ness. Nothing fancy, but clean, in a great location, reasonable rates, and free parking. Friends of ours stayed there a couple months ago and said the same.

http://www.lombardmotorinn.com/
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 09:31 AM

To me the best area is the Embarcadero. Priceline is a good way to get the Hyatt Regency for your budget range. The proximity to every kind of transportation makes it ideal. There's an uncrowded Cable car stop right outside the front door, the Ferry Building is across the street with the trams that run along the Embarcadero. Muni and Bart are right there. For a nicer hotel, the Vitale is right around the corner.
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 03:03 PM

Catbert - gotta totally agree with you. There are some nice boutique hotels on the Embarcadero as well.

The Harbor Court and Griffon Hotels look right out on the esplanade and Bay Bridge and are an easy walk to the Ferry Building and all of the other transportation options.
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 03:26 PM

The Cow Hollow Motor Suites has some very nice-looking suites which would be great for a family. Hotel del Sol also has at least one suite - www.jdvhostpitality.com.

Lee Ann
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 03:31 PM

Nanny, I know Carlton: Sutter @ Larkin. Residential area, no really good restaurants close, no attractions, almost boring, but safe to walk, even alone.

If you get a really great bargain, it's OK to stay there, if not, keep searching. For only 2 nights the location is essential.
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 08:25 AM

>>Nanny, I know Carlton: Sutter @ Larkin. Residential area, no really good restaurants close, no attractions, almost boring, but safe to walk, even alone.<<

I'm not sure I would agree that Sutter & Larkin would feel safe for some people to walk around alone. Just 3 half-blocks south is a small mini-park that's inhabited by homeless people & drug users. The City may have shooed them away at the moment, but they hang around in this area anyway. Also within 4 half-blocks south are several XXX theaters. It gets better north of Sutter, but south of Sutter (where the 38 Geary bus runs from downtown) is very gritty. I would not want to stay in this area.

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 03:44 PM

Sutter & Larkin isn't ideal, but not inner-city scary either.

It's about three blocks away from the AMC Movie Theater complex and Mel's Drive-in on Van Ness.

There's also a nice Internet Cafe about two blocks Northwest called Quetzal on the ground floor of a parking garage - and O'Reilly's Holy Grail (a brand new restaurant across the street from that.

This is pretty much considered Polk Street neighborhood. It was the original "Castro" before Eureka Valley blossomed with fabulousness. It's a little gritty, but better than it used to be.

And true, the Mitchel Brothers' O'Farell Theater isn't too far down the road, but this is a city.
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 01:56 PM

We will also be in San Francisco for a few days pre-cruise in mid April. Even though it's considered touristy, we'd like to stay in the Fisherman's Wharf area....we are tourists afterall! I've narrowed my hotel choices to the Best Western Tuscan Inn, the Sheraton, the Radisson or the Hyatt. They are all very close to each other and around the same price/nt. Is there one you'd recommend or avoid? Are any of these hotels better located as far as pubic transportation is concerned? Thanks in advance!