Zion, Bryce, South/North Rim, Page

Old Jul 10th, 2017, 05:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zion, Bryce, South/North Rim, Page

I am Vegas for a conference in June 2018 and want to plan a trip with my husband for our 21st anniversary. We've never been to this part of the country. We love National Parks! I'd like to spend 9 nights on the road, we will rent a camper van. We like hiking and beautiful views and waterfalls. I am scared of heights though, so that may limit some hiking trails. We will spend nights as follows and want to know the best route to take and what are the best views:

Zion - 3 nights- want to do the narrows hike, any other suggestions
Bryce - 2 nights - any suggestions
Page - 1 night - Antelope and Horseshoe Bend
North Rim - 2 nights - Mule ride + other suggestions
South Rim - 1 night - too crowded for us, just want to see the difference in views from North Rim

What campgrounds recommended and hikes?

Thanks!
Old Jul 10th, 2017, 07:44 PM

Kanab, Utah is the headquarters for North Rim Grand Canyon, Lees Ferry, Kaibab Forest and many, many other scenic opportunities.

The only combination driving/hiking book of this area to my knowledge is: Vermilion Cliffs National Monument available at Amazon in e-book (color photos) and print (B/W photos).

The prize landmark is The Wave
http://localadventurer.com/the-wave-...onal-monument/

My favorite geological chaos is White Pocket
http://www.amusingplanet.com/2013/03...-national.html

I've been to both places twice and plan to go again.
The Wave requires a permit available on the Internet and at a drawing in Kanab (10 + 10 permits per day). White Pockets needs a high clearance 4-wheel drive that can be rented in Kanab.

Vaga
Old Jul 12th, 2017, 07:02 PM

Are you planning the mule ride into the canyon? If so, consider your fear of heights.

In Page, lower Antelope Canyon is much better than upper. Far less crowds. Page is going to be very hot in June. Horseshoe Bend is best at sunset. Have you considered a kayak tour into the Lake Powell area of Page?

If my memory is correct, there are only two campsites on GC south rim. One is first come first serve and fills up quickly each day especially during summer vacation. The other is by reservations only and you should make reservations as soon as possible. You should be able to get details at NPS website for GC.
Old Jul 13th, 2017, 10:14 AM

Re: bailey on campsites
IN the park, there is one CG and he is right. It fills quickly.

Outside the park is a National Forest (NF) with unlimited FREE parking especially on road # 22 and 611.
About 5-6 miles before entry into the park fee booth is NF Demotte Campground that is an improved site.
https://www.reserveamerica.com/campi...&parkId=108033

Vaga
Old Jul 25th, 2017, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

Vaga, Thank you!
Old Jul 25th, 2017, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

Bailey, I am very scared of heights and wanted to do the mule ride. I do love rollercoasters and the higher the better, but I am strapped in, I was worried about the mule ride and the height issue. I thought since I am on the mule and he is surefooted I would be OK....
Old Jul 25th, 2017, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

Vaga, to see the wave and white pocket, that is at the north rim of the canyon?
Old Jul 25th, 2017, 07:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
We did the mule ride at Bryce. A few hours and well worth it.
Old Jul 25th, 2017, 09:40 PM

In Zion you should also do the short hike to Weeping Rock, and the Emerald Pools Trail, one of my favorite hikes, with beautiful views and the payoff of a couple of waterfalls and lovely pools. My husband has a fear of heights, and we've hiked this trail three times, and he never had any problems. The last time we extended our hike by hiking back along the Kayenta Trail for more nice views, and it ends at the shuttle stop for the Grotto picnic area. You could then walk the half-mile, flat Grotto Trail back to the Lodge if you don't want to catch the shuttle there.

On your way to Bryce you should stop and hike the Canyon Overlook Trail, a fairly easy trail that ends with a magnificent view of the canyon from the top. The parking area is on the right just after you come out of the tunnel, and the trailhead is just across the street from the small parking lot.
Old Jul 26th, 2017, 01:55 AM

Here is a map that was posted a while ago by another fluorite. It has distance/time chart and might help you with planning:

http://ohiohickstraveltips.weebly.co...-utah-map.html

I'd do a loop: Vegas,Zion, Bryce, North Rim then Page, South Rim, Vegas. It doesn't matter which direction you do the loop from Vegas. South Rim first or Zion first. You might look at where you can get camp sites to make your plan and/or how early you fly in and leave Vegas.

You will probably find that taking your trip before the conference will be less crowded in the parks than taking it after.

Drink more water than you think you need.
Old Jul 26th, 2017, 04:08 AM

White pocket and the wave are in the vermillion cliffs area; not at the north rim, but between Page and north rim GC; a couple hours drive from the north rim. Wave is only accessible by very limited lottery. Make sure you have a 4x4 to get to white pocket and wave.

Vega: my prior post referred to campgrounds on south rim not north rim. I stand by my advice, there are two campgrounds on so. Rim.
Old Jul 27th, 2017, 12:27 PM

bailey is correct. SR has two CGs while NR has one. I misread his post. The others, as noted, are outside of park border.

White Pocket is in Vermilion Cliffs as noted in my post. Jacobs Lake is the entry point to NR park. White Pocket is off House Rock Road that has a north (highway 89) and south (highway 89A) entry

HRR is 12 miles from Jacobs lake.Page is another 75 miles, or so.

IF you enter from the south, stop at the very historic house located at the junction of HRR and 89a. Simone will sell you a dozen of real/fresh/country range eggs. The ones with true deep orange colored yolks you never see in a city grocery store. She charges $5.00 - a bargain.

Re Vermilion Cliffs. 4-WD is mandatory due to deep sand. Therefore, you also need HIGH clearance. One of the worst places is north of Joe's Ranch. The road to WP is one of the better ones due to, in part, tour vans compressing the sand.

Vaga
Old Jul 27th, 2017, 01:01 PM

In Zion, you should be okay hiking Emerald Pools Trail, as well as The Narrows. Just make sure you're ready for water hiking for the latter (the right clothes, shoes, stick, etc.). Definitely avoid Angel's Landing if you don't like heights.

Bryce may be an issue if you don't like heights. Not sure how problematic it is for you. I also can't imagine doing a mule ride into Grand Canyon if heights bother you, but perhaps the issue is only a mild one.
Old Jul 28th, 2017, 07:43 AM

First, don't plan on doing either the Wave or white cliffs.

I haven't done any National Park camping in 40 years although am familiar wit the route. I haven't been to Antelope Canyon and prefer travel along the Vermillion Cliffs (89A) between the two parks.

For campground (and other lodging) options I'd start with the official NPS websites. There are a lot of phony resellers if you use Google. I believer there's a first come first served campground at Desert View, which should work for your "just a taste" itinerary IF you get there before it fills.

For South Rim, you could instead stay at Yavapai motel (operated by Delaware North) on the east side of the park, a little less chaotic than the Grand Canyon Village area.

http://www.visitgrandcanyon.com/yavapai-lodge

I think it's worth trying to get lodging inside GC North Rim which makes it possible to watch sunset and sunrise from the porch of the North Rim main Lodge. There is a campground inside the park but reservations aren't open yet.

June 2018 Reservations are open for the lodge cabins so you could book one and then cancel within the window if you get a camp site.

http://www.visitgrandcanyon.com/yavapai-lodge

For Zion, I recommend staying in Springdale, not inside the park.

I do like Kanab but it's 90 minutes from North Rim, from Bryce and from Zion. So makes sunrise/sunset difficult.

I believe Bryce has first come first served campgrounds.

There are some cabins and motel rooms inside Bryce also, June 2018 is also open for booking. I also think it's worthwhile staying inside the park (we did the motel units last year and they were fine, you can walk to the rim in the dark to catch sunrise)

https://reservations.foreverresorts....vailability.do

For hikes, I think you might be able to do the Queens Garden/Navajo combo (check the park newspaper for conditions and recommended direction). I have a moderate fear of exposure and that one doesn't bother me at all.

For Zion, I don't think you will like Canyon Overlook. That is one the edge of what I cant do. You'll have plenty of other choices, including Emerald Pools, Weeping Rock and the Riverside trails (even if you dont' do Full Narrows you can wade a little ways up from the end of road, conditions permitting).

In the Grand Canyon a good short walk down into the South rim is to Ooh Aah from the South Kaibab trail. Do it early to avoid sun exposure.

If you decide to not do Page etc I like to stop at Lee's Ferry and Navajo Bridge on 89A. There's a no-reservation campground at Lee's Ferry.

https://www.nps.gov/glca/planyourvisit/camping.htm
Old Jul 28th, 2017, 07:10 PM

There are two campground inside GCNP on the south rim. One at the near the eastern boundary-Watchtower CG. No reservations, no hookups but a super place to camp. Much quieter than the big campground in the middle of things with hookups. Reservations recommended. We have stayed several times at Watchtower and liked a lot. Can walk to the Watchtower which gives a different view of the Canyon as well as a look at early inhabitants of the area. Nice museum too.

North Rim campground is smallish. Easy walk along Rim to the Lodge and couple other facilities. Or walk the road if totally squeamish.

Best to check National Park site for ALL info.
Old Jul 28th, 2017, 09:05 PM

Yes, start with the NPS site. The campground that lindagj calls Watchtower the NPS calls Desert View. I would not recommend the Mather Campground for your preferences.

Here is the link for all Grand Canyon camp site info

https://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/cg-sr.htm
Old Aug 23rd, 2017, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

thanks everyone! will be making notes and I will ask other suggestions if I have any. Appreciate the responses!!
Old Aug 24th, 2017, 11:05 AM

mlgb - I don't understand why mlgn wrote that you should not plan on The Wave and White Cliffs (there are no White Cliffs there).
I assume she is referring to White Pocket.

1. Plan - you need a permit for The Wave. 10 by lottery in the BLM (VC) office and 10 by advance on the internet. Huge demand, so don't plan on it -- but why not try? I've won it 3 times. I'll try again in late Sept.

IF you don't win the Wave lottery, then hike into Buckskin Gulch - best slot in US. Really a magnificent dramatic slot (not as pretty as antelopes). Or try for a permit (lottery) for South Coyote that also has spectacular scenery. Very good odds of obtaining that permit. Each time I tried, I got it.

2. White Pocket - don't need a permit. Just drive there (4-WD high clearance required because of sand) Ditto with Cottonwood Cove

Vaga