Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

iberville suites, bonmaison, chateau motor hotel in NO...HELP

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 06:33 PM
modell

Are any of these not o.k. places...I realize that Iberville is more and would rather not spend that much but don't know if anything in the quarter is going to be decent.

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 06:48 PM
Meg

I don' t really know anything about any of them except that I think the Chateau Motor Hotel has the best location - it' s in the lower Quarter, which is fairly quiet and mostly residential. Iberville Suites is on Iberville, which is not my favorite part of the Quarter - but it's close to the touristy end of Bourbon if that's what interests you. I've never even heard of Bon Maison.

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 04:43 AM
John

Meg, Bon Maison is on Bourbon between St. Ann and Lafitte's (the gay bar, not the blacksmith shop). It's got an ugly sign in front...you'll notice it next time you're on that block. I think that 900 block of Bourbon is too noisy because of (a) the bars and (b) it's the first block of Bourbon which allows traffic at night meaning LOTS of vehicular movement.

Being a resident of Bourbon Street myself, I far prefer the higher numbers towards Esplanade (1200-1400).

I like Chateau's location better than Iberville, too. Iberville Street is so darn grimy without having the charm that some of the other grimy streets possess!

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 01:54 PM
Meg

Thanks, John - I can't believe I've never noticed it. The only bars I frequent are Lafitte's, The Pub and Oz, so I'm in that block on a regular basis. Tonight's bingo night! Do you ever go?

Old Aug 11th, 2001, 03:10 AM
Meg

Okay, John - I made a point of looking for it tonight - and I've seen it thousands of times, but it just never registered. That's the place that I read an article about. One of the residents wrote a piece for some magazine - I want to say Vanity Fair, but I know that doesn't make sense. Also, a writer friend of mine keeps an apartment there. I guess I just never think of it as a hotel. The sign is ugly.