Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   I would like your opinion; Would take an inconvenient ,crazy itinerary flight with the one advantage is that it's free? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/i-would-like-your-opinion-would-take-an-inconvenient-crazy-itinerary-flight-with-the-one-advantage-is-that-its-free-289543/)

Trisha Feb 16th, 2003 03:33 PM

I would like your opinion; Would take an inconvenient ,crazy itinerary flight with the one advantage is that it's free?

I live in Austin Texas and am using frequent flyer miles to fly to Newark with America West. They couldn't give us the flight out of Austin but, can out of Dallas. Originally, It was going to fly out of Dallas then Columbus , then Newark. America West has since dumped their hub in Columbus but, still honored our reservation in July but, It will go from Dallas , to Phoenix, then to Newark. Same thing coming back Newark, to Phoenix back to Dallas. We will have to drive to Dallas , stay in a hotel next to the airport and leave our car with a friend of ours. The cost of flying to New York right now is about $400.00 per person. I personally think it's worth an $800.00 savings but, my husband thinks it's crazy. He doesn't want to do it . We have until the first of March to decide as our tickets are on hold. I would just like to know what other people would do in this situation. We aren't rich and would like to have as much money as we can in New York for a week then, New England tour for another week. I would appreciate anyone's input. Thanks

CF Feb 16th, 2003 03:39 PM

I have done similar things. If you have the time, go for it. I once flew from Pittsburgh to St. Louis then to the Bahamas because the package price was unbeatable. SAme thing coming home. LOL

methinks Feb 16th, 2003 04:03 PM

At least CF was traveling south the whole time. Can you exchange the america west miles for american miles and just fly non-stop from DFW to Newark?

Trisha Feb 16th, 2003 04:19 PM

No, America West doesn't have a domestic partner. Believe me, I discussed every angle or possiblity to an alternative to this itinerary and there is none. Thanks.

methinks Feb 16th, 2003 04:33 PM

Then I would say, take $10.00 of the $800.00 you'll save, buy a thick paperback book, and take the flight. $800.00 will certainly help in Manhattan.

Seamus Feb 16th, 2003 06:10 PM

How about a quick Southwest flight to Dallas to catch your America West flight? Advance purchase for July runs $55 each way, or $220 for both of you. Is that less than your hotel plus parking in Dallas? You'd still need to get to DFW fron Love Field, of course, but there are shuttles.

Dan Feb 16th, 2003 06:13 PM

America West isn't a Continental partner these days? For years, they were allies.

gypsy Feb 16th, 2003 06:52 PM

go... GO!<BR><BR>look at it as an adventure!

HaveVisaWillTravel Feb 17th, 2003 04:29 AM

This is such a great question because it is all relative to how much your time is worth. I agree that if you have the time, and don't mind the inconvenience, buy a good book, upon check in ask for bulk head or emergency row seating for more leg room and relax. Some people though absolutely cannot spare the time. It also reminds me of that mini-bar thread. The &quot;how much would you pay for a diet coke, etc&quot; and they were right, if you've never paid $6 for a diet coke, then my friend you've never wanted one bad enough. Doesn't sound like your hubby wants to fly this route though, to some it would be worth the extra $. I for one loathe connecting flights and would rather save up and pay more to not connect because if you are delayed and miss one leg, that's it. But again, it is relative to what everyone's personal preference is, that's why sights like this are so helpful. Safe journey.

trover Feb 17th, 2003 04:30 AM

I agree definitely view it as an adventure and take the flight to save the money. Think of all the things you can do with $800 in NYC or at home or as savings for your next vacation! Enjoy!!!!!

Anonymous Feb 17th, 2003 05:17 AM

The flight isn't really free, it's costing you FF miles that you might use in some other way, plus the night in a hotel, plus your time. If there's any chance that you'll be flying again in the foreseeable future, you might want to reconsider using the miles this time. OR check Priceline or one of the cheap consolidators -- you might be &quot;saving&quot; less than $800 in reality. One last thing: Double-check the cheapest available airfare just before your March 1 deadlines, prices might have gone down and your question might really be whether all that hassle is worth just $500 or 600!

GoTravel Feb 17th, 2003 05:33 AM

$800 is a lot of money and NYC is a very expensive city. I'd do the same thing an above poster said, buy a good book(s), take the flight, and spend the $800 in New York.

don512 Feb 17th, 2003 06:19 AM

In the past, I have usually found the best rates with USAirways. Living in the mid-west that means flying to the east (Pittsburg, Philadelphia or Charlotte) for a trip to the west coast. I think that first you might want to look at toat traveling time and whether that is an issue. Also, you won't be saving $800 if you are having to spend a night in a Dallas hotel, plus the cost of gas and the extra time trveling in the car might be a consideration. But still, you are talking a probably a $700 savings and if the time or driving is not a factor, that is still a good chunk of money to add to a city that is expensive to visit in the first place.

CF Feb 17th, 2003 04:42 PM

Um, last time I checked, St. Louis was WEST of Pittsburgh....