Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   I would like to take my elderly mother to Hawaii this time (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/i-would-like-to-take-my-elderly-mother-to-hawaii-this-time-1711791/)

marcinny Dec 19th, 2022 12:41 PM

I would like to take my elderly mother to Hawaii this time

Hello forum,

I am planning to take my elderly mother to Hawaii in May this time. Usually we go for road trips because she is not able to walk too much. Hawaii can be tricky but with your help I am sure I will put something together. She does not speak English so museums and tours are not the option. We both like to watch landscapes, nature, she likes shopping in Burlingtons :). What could we visit to have experience of this state. I am planning to spend 10 days there and hoping between island could be an option. Same with car rental. How to spend time there to have great memories and pictures. Thank you in advance!

Sassafrass Dec 19th, 2022 05:36 PM

Take this with some caution because my one visit to Hawaii was many, many years ago when I was young, had traveled very little and loved everything.

There are several bird sanctuaries, aviaries and rescues. We loved spending a couple of hours in one, birds perching on our shoulders. Look at reviews. Remove jewelry and watch for buttons. Some birds will pluck them off so quickly, you never see them do it.

While many others have long since come and gone, this old, Hawaiian restaurant has survived for 60 years. There are tons of unique and fancier restaurants now, but this was unique when it was built, by a man with a vision, and stands out in my memory as a special place. It has circular buildings and spaces connected by bridges, built over huge Koi ponds. It was finally sold and renovated, but retains the original look and intent. You could have breakfast or lunch, but I suggest you have dinner because evening is relaxing and lovely. Look for Groupon coupons for special rates.
https://www.pagodahawaii.com/about/

You might consider a cruise to several islands, though you would not be on land to enjoy evenings unless the ship stays two nights in one place or departs very late.

Sassafrass Dec 20th, 2022 05:02 AM

Though the building and ponds are the same, a different restaurant now exists in the old Floating Pagoda. It gets good reviews though, so the experience should be the same.

suze Dec 22nd, 2022 11:24 AM

I was on Oahu, staying in Waikiki, for 10 days in May this year. It was beautiful weather. I believe this is the island Sassafrass is talking about as well.

What language does she speak? There are some tours (like Iolani Palace which is fabulous) that offer audio headset tours in different languages. Or would be interesting to walk through the building even without a speaking tour. Same for places like Bishop Museum, ShangriLa Estate, Honolulu Museum of Art. Not all of them at once of course, only saying they could be interesting to a senior person, even without English spoken.

Backing up... first you need to decide which island. I do not recommend island "hopping" because it means going thru all the airport stuff an extra time or two. I suggest one island, either Oahu or Maui, with a rental car, and staying in one, or possible two places on that island.

There are things like seeing Hawaiian music and dance shows, that I think would be appreciated by anyone, regardless of age, language, etc. Plus do know Hawaii at its core is very multicultural.

suze

mlgb Dec 22nd, 2022 01:59 PM

If you want to go to Hawaii for a driving vacation, why not the Big Island instead of Oahu? You would have the Hawaii Volcano National Park, Chain of Craters Road, Saddle Road, Kohala coast, Hilo area, etc. I think Honolulu/ Waikiki would be too congested for someone not able to walk much.

suze Dec 22nd, 2022 09:01 PM

I suggest having wheelchair service for your Mom thru airports. That really helps smooth things out. Arrange in advance with the airlines.

zeebags Dec 23rd, 2022 02:53 AM

Why not

Yes it is best place to visit

MichelleY Dec 23rd, 2022 08:47 AM

We took my mom to Hawaii when she was 83. She actually enjoyed Oahu more than Kauai. More things to see and do that were handy.

marvelousmouse Dec 29th, 2022 11:30 PM

I think it largely depends on her personality.

if I was going to book a reservation for my mother, it would be oahu. Cheesy tourist stuff, lots of shopping, people watching galore. Fairly accessible.

if it was for myself, it would be elsewhere. I really enjoyed the Aulani resort because of the lagoons. I liked Molokai. I think if I returned a second time, it would be Maui or Kauai or Kona. Honolulu drove me a little crazy, though it was worth it in terms of the botanical gardens and museums and food.