I Which Road trip with kids from OK to take: east coast or South

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2015, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are deciding which adventure to take this summer. I know it is kid of last minute but we are planning to go mid-July. We would be coming from Oklahoma, and we can't decide whether to go to the east coast or to the south along the gulf coast. Up to a 2 week trip depending on which route we decide on. Here are the 2 options we are looking at:
1. East coast- we would be looking at doing things like visiting Williamsburg or Sturbridge Village. More of a historical adventure but visiting the boardwalks and beaches (ie Cape May or similar) along the route somewhere as well. We may also try to swing through Charleston, SC or visit some plantations along the way.

2. Southern route: Go toward the Gulf, but probably stopping at the beaches somewhere like Destin, visit the everglades, keys etc.

Any ideas would be appreciated since I need to look into booking hotels or come up with a game plan. We have a 7, 5, and 2 year old so kid friendly attractions would be nice. We also enjoy hiking, outdoor things, etc. I am personally not a huge fan of the beach but the kids have been asking to go. I would also like to avoid beaches that have strong currents as the kids are not great swimmers. We are also open to a mix of camping and hotels if it works out that way to save money/have some fun outdoor time.
Old May 31st, 2015, 01:03 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
I would do neither.
Cape May and/or the Everglades are about 1500 miles away.
At 500 miles a day, that's 3 days to get "there" and 3 days to get back = almost a full week in the car.

There's no way I'd do that in mid-summer with three kids - "We have a 7, 5, and 2 year old"

If the kids have been asking to go to the beach, go to the beach.
If you want to take a road trip, a pool at the motel or KOA will be the highlight of the trip.

Maybe rent a houseboat on a lake in Kentucky, or go to the cooler mountains of TN/NC or go to a beach that's a day's drive (or two) away.

Here's an idea of a place with pool in a gorgeous section of quiet Florida in walking distance of the beach -
http://www.vrbo.com/7117603ha

More ideas -
http://30a.com/
Old May 31st, 2015, 01:25 PM

Get a map and connect some dots/pins for both possibilities.

those ages are not really up for "historical" things. Go to the beach and have a good time. Teke them to natural history or plantations nearby. NOT a road trip, please.
Old May 31st, 2015, 01:38 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
There's plenty of good beaches in Texas between Corpus Christie and South Padre Island.
Camping with a 2 year old is not my idea of fun.
Old May 31st, 2015, 03:44 PM

Disagree about the historical. The two older kids could definitely enjoy some of the activities at historic places - but also will need to have a lot of kid times in pools or beaches as well. The two year old won't care.

I think you're being overambitious in terms of the distances you can go with kids that age. How well do they do now with 5 or 6 hours in a car - often more than 2 or so is a problem?
Old Jun 1st, 2015, 03:57 AM

If you really want the road trip, plan on 3 days to get to Virginia beach, and plan on staying there for a week. On a rainy day, take a day trip to Williamsburg (or spend a day there on the way out or on the way back), then take 3 or 4 days to get home.

Plan on getting up very early and let the kids sleep in the car on the first day, then stop for breakfast. Stay in a motel with a pool. Have some videos or books on tape and let the kids get out and run around when you stop.
Old Jun 1st, 2015, 05:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I would suggest that instead of a road trip, you rent a cottage in a beach community. You are probably too late for the best deals, but there will be something available. If you were to rent a house in Charlestown, RI, for example, you would have access to a beach, be only a short drive from Stonington Borough, Mystic Seaport and the Aquarium and be almost as close to Newport. Rentals in New England tend to run Saturday to Saturday. There are also some rather non-descript motels in the area, most with pools.
Old Jun 1st, 2015, 05:54 AM
cd

With young children, for everyone to be happy, the less time spent in the car the better for all. I agree with a house at the beach with pool or how about a lake? We have never been to Table Rock Lake but friends had a great time there. They offer so many activities that the kids would like. Lake, pool, boats, Silver Dollar City: Just a suggestion; http://stillwatersresort.com/
Old Jun 1st, 2015, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions! We actually have a family vacation home on Table Rock Lake. It is amazing, but we are looking for something different than what we do every year and all summer long. The kids are pretty great in the car actually, we go to Colorado a few times a year, 12 hour drive in a day and survive. I was thinking for the road trip part just take our time and stop a lot to visit fun attractions. That would be when we go to the places I would like to visit and just make a day out it. I am rethinking the camping part now though and agree that will be to much. Any suggestions on Pensacola, Orange Beach or Clearwater FL?
Old Jun 1st, 2015, 12:02 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
" I was thinking for the road trip part just take our time and stop a lot to visit fun attractions. That would be when we go to the places I would like to visit and just make a day out it."

Then I would drive 500 miles or less and spend the next day (or two) at that place. Repeat for the two weeks.
Drive 500 miles.
A day or two at first place.
Drive 500 miles.
A day or two at second place.
Drive 500 miles. Then you'd be at your original destination.
Return on a different route.
Old Jun 1st, 2015, 01:20 PM
cd

Well, of course you don't want to go to the Lake on vacation when it's home! We have not stayed at this hotel but our son says it is the best on the beach in Pensacola: It has 2 pools and put put golf
http://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/hot...LHX/index.html

On a rainy day you could visit: http://www.navalaviationmuseum.org/
We have been there, really enjoyed it and the kids might like it.

You could then head up and over to Savannah and Charleston, read up on what is there for fun for your kids and maybe stay on Tybee Island for beach and pool.