I Never Met A Park I Didn't Like: Will Rogers State Historic Park

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2022, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts

To paraphrase Will Rogers: “I never met a park I didn’t like.” So when a friend of mine mentioned he had hiked recently at Will Rogers State Historic Park in Pacific Palisades, it dawned on me that in all my years of living in Southern California, I had never visited there. So Tracy, Remi and I drove out to the park, took a tour of his large ranch house, then soaked up the sun and took a short hike out to views of the mighty Pacific Ocean. I highly recommend the ranch tour as the docents tell many tales and give great insight into this very fascinating man, one of the most famed persons in the world in the early 20th century. Story with photos in link below (without photos, below photos)

https://travelswithmaitaitom.com/wil...fic-palisades/

It’s hard to believe as a native Angelino, I had never gone to Will Rogers State Park. Truthfully, I had never given it too much thought It was time to rectify that glaring omission, and on a gorgeous Saturday morning I, along with Tracy and our four-legged daughter Remi, decided to make the 30-mile journey to the Santa Monica Mountains near Pacific Palisades to check out the park, one of its many scenic, ocean-view trails and also take a guided tour of Rogers’ renovated ranch house.

To say Will Rogers wore numerous hats in his life would be a vast understatement. In the early 20th century, Rogers was one of the most well-known celebrities on the face of the planet. Not only was he a famed humorist/philosopher, but also a movie star, Broadway star, cowboy, newspaper columnist, radio commentator, philanthropist and one of America’s, if not the world’s, most quoted persons.

When he perished in a plane crash in the summer of 1935, the world grieved. Flags were flown at half-staff, and more than 50,000 mourners filed by his casket in Glendale. When he died, he was the second largest grossing movie star (behind Shirley temple). The New York Times dedicated 13 pages on Rogers.

His legacy still lives on today in the mountains west of Los Angeles. In the early 1920s Rogers purchased land on these hillsides that would eventually become his 186-acre estate, complete with a 31-room ranch house built in 1928 where the family lived until his untimely death. It underwent a $5 million restoration in 2003 and re-opened to the public in 2006.

Nine years after Rogers and accomplished aviator Wiley Post were killed in that Alaskan plane crash, Rogers widow, Betty, passed away, bequeathing the land to the state of California as a memorial to her husband’s legacy. Now it was time for us to look at the gorgeous scenery and tour the historic ranch house.

As it turned out, we arrived just in time, because a lot of other people had the same idea of enjoying a gorgeous Southern California morning, and the parking area was nearly full. Since it was shortly before 10 a.m., we decided to take the first guided tour of the day (free) of Rogers Ranch House.

Unfortunately, being a historic house, Remi would not be able to go on the tour (accidents will happen, you know), so Tracy took her on a little walk while I took the tour. Rogers famously stated, “I love a dog. He does nothing for political reasons.” True to form, Remi has never voted, except for dry food over wet food.

As has happened a few times on my local sojourns, I was the only person on the tour. And, yes, I do shower.

We admired the front porch as our two docents dispensed information regarding Will Rogers and telling tales of the family history. Rogers had always wanted to find a “quiet retreat where his family could live more simply.” In addition to the ranch house, there was also a stable for his horses, corrals, riding ring, roping area (he was a champion roper with a trick roping act he performed in Wild West shows and vaudeville), a polo field, golf course and hiking trails.

Rogers was a citizen of the Cherokee Nation (his parents were both partly of Cherokee descent), located in the Indian Territory (now part of Oklahoma), and was known as "Oklahoma's Favorite Son.” He once said, “My ancestors didn’t come over on the Mayflower, but they met the boat.” He was even dubbed “The Cherokee Kid.”

The Will Rogers Museum is located in Claremore, Oklahoma)

Rogers loved to entertain, and we entered the Main Room where the likes of Walt Disney, Clark Gable, Charles Lindbergh and other luminaries of the time visited.

As you can see, we visited shortly before Christmas, and outside of a few head of cattle, we navigated the room easily.

Actually, that is Rogers’ stuffed roping calf.

Rogers was certainly a guy who knew all the ropes.

Fortunately, I was on my best behavior and didn’t have to be told to “saddle down.” The docent said the gorgeous silver-decorated saddles and bridles used were in the Rose Parade.
Although I did horse around a bit.

There are lots of ropes, saddles and Native American rugs and blankets.

As we headed toward the kitchen there were paintings of Will and Betty on the wall, which were painted after his death.

I think this was the 1920s version of an iPhone.

Ahead of their time, the Rogers family had an all-electric kitchen.

Soon I found myself in the “cozy” parlor/music room/library, where Rogers and his guests would sing and play live music on the piano banjo and other instruments.

There are lots of family photos and paintings spread across the room.

Back outside, we stood on the patio, which is where Will and Betty loved to entertain, and where everyone “could enjoy the fresh ocean breezes.” The property stretches down to Will Rogers State Beach.

Remi joined us here for a few moments.

We walked upstairs, where the rooms are filled with books and other memorabilia.

Before leaving, our docents showed us a few books they thought were worth reading about this multi-faceted man.

Meanwhile, Remi looked out over the back 40 as she awaited our walk toward Inspiration Point.

We strolled past the stables, and what Rogers jokingly called, “The Barn that Jokes Built.”

Two of Rogers’ favorite horses are buried here.

Speaking of being buried, it was time for the old man to start the walk toward Inspiration Point. The views became increasingly better, however a haze meant that we could not get a great view of the ocean. On a clear day, it is said you can see Catalina.

At one point, we looked back on the Polo Field where stars like Spencer Tracy, Clark Gable and Rogers used to play. It is the last remaining public grass polo field in Los Angeles County.

Our docent told us that in Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, the polo field was used as a substitute for Golden Gate Park in San Francisco, where the Enterprise crew landed the Klingon vessel they had commandeered.

President Obama is a Star Trek fanatic, and when he came to L.A., his helicopter once landed on the polo field. It didn’t crush any trash cans like the Klingon Bird of Prey did in the movie.

Other dogs joined Remi on the trail, and we spied houses where the other half live.

We reached a viewpoint overlooking the Pacific Ocean, and Remi told us this was the end of her uphill climb, so we obliged her since the views were a little hazy anyway.

Back at the ranch, we walked into the converted garage and watched a film about Rogers There also tidbits about his life on the walls.

Meanwhile, Remi hoped she wouldn’t be the next subject of Will’s roping prowess.

Our short trip to Will Rogers State Park was now in the books, but we’ll return to search out some easy hiking trails for the three of us.

Rogers once famously said, “I never met a man I didn’t like,” and we certainly liked our visit to his house, park and our abbreviated dog hike. If you get the chance and it’s one of those beautiful Southern California days, Will Rogers Historic State Park and Ranch House makes for an interesting and peaceful diversion. Bring your dog and have yourself a picnic. It might be a little out of your way, but just think of what Rogers might have said about that minor obstacle: “Where there’s a Will, there’s a way!”
Old Feb 4th, 2022, 02:18 PM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
We are also fans of the Will Rogers park. Being horsey people, we like going to polo games there.

Old Feb 4th, 2022, 02:56 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Polo at Will Rogers was one of the highlights of my time in LA in the '80s. Also indoors at the Equestrian Center and in Indio. But Will Rogers was best.

Old Feb 5th, 2022, 06:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At first I thought you were talking about the Will Rogers Birthplace Ranch in Oklahoma: https://www.willrogers.com/birthplace-ranch
Old Feb 6th, 2022, 06:15 AM

We enjoyed our visit to the Claremore museum and birthplace in Oklahoma back in September. Well done, informative and friendly volunteers!
https://www.willrogers.com
Old Feb 6th, 2022, 08:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
"We enjoyed our visit to the Claremore museum and birthplace in Oklahoma back in September."

Thanks for the link. Checked out the website. Looks fascinating.
Old Feb 7th, 2022, 05:40 AM

Thanks, maitaitom....a very interesting TR. Loved the 'met the boat' quip. Also, that stove is awesome. If available today (with a self-cleaning oven of course), I'd buy it.
Old Feb 7th, 2022, 05:46 AM

Thanks, maitaitom....a very interesting TR. Loved the 'met the boat' quip. Also, that stove is awesome. If available today (with a self-cleaning oven of course), I'd buy it.