Boston to Bar Harbor

Search

Boston to Bar Harbor

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boston to Bar Harbor

I'm planning on driving from Boston to Bar Harbor for 2 nights and back to Boston early October. Is Portland, ME a nice place to stop for the night? Also, for the drive back to Boston from Bar Harbor is it about 5 hours?
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 02:42 AM

Portland is a wonderful place to stay, esp downtown, which is lively and has lots of restaurants and shops.

Time depends on traffic. I would think 5 hours would be the best you could expect, and that is on the boring inland route via Augusta. If you take the coastal route through Rockland, which you ought to do at least one way, it will take longer, even if you don't stop. But why would you come to Maine and not stop for a lobster roll?
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 05:36 AM

I love Portland - a nice little city with interesting shops and restaurants, most within an easy walking area.

You would have to be both lucky and driving at or above speed limit the entire way to make Bar Harbor to downtown Boston in 5 hours. Boston traffic area traffic, depending on time of day will slow you and surprisingly Bar Harbor traffic could as well - especially if it is raining and people are out looking for something to do. Also, you may hit some foliage-seeking people at that time of year as well.

For the limited amount of time you have (you said 2 days in Bar Harbor) I think I would take the boring inland route both ways rather than killing an entire day ont he road - but tha is purely a personal preference thing and a good argument could be made for the meandering coastal route - which only intermittently has decent views of anything and in a lot of places is just a slow secondary road.
Old Aug 26th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all, especially for the highway routes to take, which was my next consideration. I'll probably drive north on the coastal route because of the lobster rolls that were mentioned. The travel back to Boston unfortunately is the Friday which starts the Columbus Day weekend so I'll need to probably head out very early from Bar Harbor. Thanks again!
Old Aug 27th, 2009, 02:25 AM

As I have posted before, depending on how you like your lobster rolls, I suggest ASKING if the lobster will be cold, with mayonnaise, or warm lobster meat with butter. Big difference, and, if it matters, I'd ask when I order.
Old Aug 27th, 2009, 02:56 AM

Regarding your return trip on that Friday - you'll be driving the "reverse commute" (in other words, everyone else will be heading north), so you shouldn't have too much trouble.

Portland is a great small city. To maximize your time, you might want to think about what you like to do and see so you can focus your stops along the coast in places that you'll get the most out of. Sandy beaches or rocky coast? lighthouses? shopping? museums? working harbors? If you like views, the observation deck at the Penobscot Narrows Bridge is spectacular and the adjacent Fort Knox is interesting for history buffs.

RetiredVermonter: I've been coming to Maine all my life and live here for 35 years. I somehow have never had a lobster roll that was warm with butter Maybe that's a southern New England thing? Sort of like Manhattan clam chowder, which really caught me off guard one time at a restaurant when I was about 10 years old!
Old Aug 27th, 2009, 05:23 AM

cindyj:

" I somehow have never had a lobster roll that was warm with butter Maybe that's a southern New England thing? "

I suspect it is. We're originally from Connecticut, and that's how my wife PREFERS lobster. She dislikes it in "lobster salad", the way they seem to do it in northern parts of New England. So, depending on where people are from, and what they like, I thought I'd just suggest asking.

And clam chowder... She likes what is apparently called "Rhode Island" style -- clear broth -- vs cream or Manhattan type.

To each his or her own tastes, I guess!
Old Aug 27th, 2009, 03:11 PM

Wow, I've never heard of Rhode Island chowder, but then again I don't spend that much time in RI. Funny though, I lived in CT and NJ before moving to Maine. I guess we just didn't bother with lobster down there! Here in Maine its common to ask whether the roll is grilled with butter, whether the meat is mixed in with the mayo or if it is dolloped on top, and if there is lettuce or anything else in the roll. I guess we're 'purists'

Feels like fall here today and suppose to be in the 40's in parts of the state tonight. We just call it 'good sleeping weather' and it'll be up in the high 70's or lower 80's again tomorrow. Perfect...except that hurricane Danny threatens to ruin our weekend!
Old Aug 30th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

cindyj, hoping hurricane Danny hasn't ruined your weekend.

I've been watching the news coverage on it here on the west coast, course we have the wild fires to deal with! Over 110 degress today where I live, so looking forward to fall in New England.

Generally, is the weather predictable during early October or not? Basically, should I pack an umbrella?
Old Aug 31st, 2009, 08:25 AM

Definitely pack an umbrella.
Old Aug 31st, 2009, 03:17 PM

Yes, unpredictable is the right word. Remebber the old New England saying: "If you don't like the weather, wait a minute!" Pack layers - a fleece or warm sweater, and a raincoat. Its better to be prepared and still be able to get out and enjoy things. We had 90's a couple of weeks ago and we were all wilting (no AC in most homes), but now we're in the 50's at night and 70's during the day. This is the weather we love. But remember a cool weather souvenir from Maine like a fleece or sweatshirt would be great! (I remember going to San Diego in April for a conference once. I didn't pack anything warm and it was rainy and cool. It was during the America's cup races in 1996 and I bought an America3 fleece!)