Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

I need a San Diego hotel to get excited about!!!

Old Dec 7th, 2007, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spending Christmas week in San Diego, just myself and my husband. I've been looking at hotels all over Trip Advisor. I don't know if it's just me, but I can't seem to get excited about the hotels. Everyone always has a gripe about something. The front desk, the sheets, parking charges... There must be a hotel besides The Lodge At Torrey Pines that "has it all". Give me your best suggestions in the $150-$200/ night range! I know you can!!!
Old Dec 7th, 2007, 06:50 PM
oceankayaker7

I was looking for a place as well. Came across the Parisi Hotel as its a S.L.H. member.

Old Dec 7th, 2007, 07:04 PM

The Hotel Del Coronado is beautiful and Christmas. We used to go every Christmas for a dinner and evening before the rush of Christmas. They always did something special - like opera singers to make it really festive. The decorations are just gorgeous. Its the one hotel that really gives you the Christmas spirit.
Old Dec 7th, 2007, 10:53 PM

But the Del won't be anywhere close to $150-$200 a night!
Old Dec 8th, 2007, 03:57 AM

Any hotel with more than a handful of reviews on Trip Advisor will have some sort of gripe.
Old Dec 8th, 2007, 05:50 AM

STay in La Jolla. The Sheraton sounds great and in your budget (around $159/night on several websites)
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...alifornia.html

The Estancia also gets excellent reviews and is affordable for you.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...alifornia.html
Old Dec 8th, 2007, 01:44 PM

Sorry, I wasn't suggesting that the Del Coronado was in that price range. What I do suggest is going there for dinner one evening just to enjoy the Christmas decorations and spirit. The trees on the boulevard on the main street are all lit up and it is just one of the nicest places I have been at Christmas.
Old Dec 8th, 2007, 01:58 PM

Having dinner at the DelCoronado is a treat indeed and even more special during the holiday season.
I hope you are able to dine there zztopz.
Old Dec 8th, 2007, 01:58 PM

There are good deals through Travelzoo on the new Hard Rock Hotel in Gaslamp area. I was in SD last month, and the hotel looks really nice. I would definitely spend time at the Del for dinner or drinks at the bar as it is special.
Old Dec 8th, 2007, 02:00 PM

This is La Jolla but looks good and great rate at Estancia La Jolla:

http://hotels.travelzoo.com/california-hotels/346104
Old Dec 8th, 2007, 04:36 PM

I liked the US Grant downtown much better than the Lodge at Torrey Pines. Beautifully redone historic hotel. (to me, the Lodge rooms came off as more dark and gloomy, not cozy, like I'd expected.) Our Landmark Suite at the Grant was beautiful and luxurious.
Old Dec 9th, 2007, 05:13 AM

The Grant looks gorgeous, frankie.

http://www.usgrant.net
Old Dec 9th, 2007, 05:53 AM

Dear zztopz,

I already posted but I will repost for you here. Hope it helps.

I generally use Kayak.com, but I found our hotel via Hotwire's TravelTicker.

Hotels are like husbands (or wives... smile) No one place (or person!) ever "has it all."

The key for us is to find a place that will take care of most of our requirements: price (always under $200 a night with parking, convenient location, clean rooms and sheets, personable/responsive staff, and any bonus extras we can uncover: free breakfast? great pool? fabulous view?)

We have booked 5 nights at the Manchester Grand Hyatt in San Diego December 25-30. We paid $110 a night for the first 3 nights (my husband is a State Government employee, so we qualify), and $159 a night for the next 2 nights with a $100 BONUS which can applied to anything in the hotel or even used against the room charges. Self parking is an additional $20 a night and we are okay with that. If you go to the actual website the hotel is quoting $134-$229-$229-$219-$219 for the same 5 days.

Read my original post below. You should be able to get the same room for $129-$129-$129-$159-$159 with the $100 Bonus by breaking your stay into 2 reservations.

The Manchester Grand is a beautiful property. It is close to Old Town Gaslamp, and Seaport Village. The 40th floor cocktail lounge gets rave reviews from locals and travelers alike. There is a rooftop outdoor firepit.

Check under "California" later in the week or search on my screen name - jlsct - I will be sending in a very large list of SD's best Happy Hours, restaurants, dining discounts and on-line restaurant coupons.

(I've done about 4 hours of research so far, but I'm not done yet; I'd rather spend time on my laptop in front of the TV than risk a bad dinner while on vacation, especially when there is so much good stuff to be found if you just do your "homework"

"It took me almost 2 weeks to find a Los Angeles Hotel for the LA portion of our upcoming two week trip to Southern California.

San Diego came a lot easier.

I was starting to spin my wheels all over again when I got an e-mail from Hotwire TravelTicker. (I almost never even look at Hotwire because I need to KNOW where I'm sleeping before I pay the freight, but TravelTicker seems pretty good.)

TravelTicker offered rooms at San Diego's Manchester Grand Hyatt for as little as $159 a night with a $100 hotel rebate which could be applied directly to your hotel bill or used for anything on property with a minimum 2-night stay. The link takes you directly to the Hyatt website.

But the promotion curiously listed blackout dates in the middle of our proposed stay (December 25-December 30)

But I followed the link anyway and found I COULD stay during those nights. I actually broke our stay into two separate reservations to save even MORE money (Excuse please, but - Yeah for me!)

By booking the first 3 nights as a State Government employee (my husband works for a State University, so we qualify) we paid $110 per night X 3 nights.

I then went back into the system, reserved the final 2 nights, used the Code "TT304" to reserve a room at $159 a night X 2 nights, and qualified for the $100 bonus.

I checked with Hyatt Reservations and they said both reservations carried the same the room category.

(Even a non State-government employee could repeat the prices by booking the first 3 nights using the FIRST option for Code "TT304" at $129 a night X 3, and the last 2 nights by using the SECOND option for "TT304" at $159 X 2 with a $100 bonus. The trick was to break it up into 2 separate reservations!)

Here's the link:
http://www.hotwire.com/travelticker/...tId=tbug-index

If you are considering going to San Diego in the next few weeks, I think the Machester Grand Hyatt is a great choice, so hopefully someone else can benefit from all my research!"

Old Dec 9th, 2007, 06:57 AM

Here's a link to a search engine for San Diego hotels.
http://www.sandiegohotels.com/

I did a search for 12/23 through 12/29 and got pretty good prices on most of the mentioned hotels.
Alot depends on where in San Diego you prefer as the Westin and Manchester Hyatt were two that were well within you range and both downtown area. The Hilton at Torrey Pines also came in and is in the La Jolla area.
As far as reviews go on any site I try to average or research the reviewer to get an idea on their prioities. Usually if you ask ten people what they thought of a place you get ten different opinions. So sort out the extremes to either side and see what's left.
Old Dec 9th, 2007, 07:02 AM

IMO, the Estancia has not the best location. It is neither close to the beach nor to La Jolla.

I strongly prefer a hotel which is located right IN La Jolla (boardwalk, nice restaurants) and directly on the coast.

We have stayed at Scripps Inn and liked it very much (I wrote a review with photos for tripadvisor).
Old Dec 9th, 2007, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone who replied. I ended up going Manchester Grand Hyatt (thanks to jlsct). At only $129/night and a $100 hotel credit, I couldn't pass that up. I was becoming "obsessed" with trying to find the best place. I love playing travel agent when I go away. I'd never make any money at it, because I spend too much time booking a trip Again, thanks.
Old Dec 9th, 2007, 09:35 AM

zztopz - Be Sure you checked WHICH TT304 rate you signed up for on the Hyatt website; there are TWO TT304 offers.

The first TT304 offer for a King Room is $129 a night, but does NOT carry the $100 Bonus.

The SECOND TT304 offer for a King Room is $159 a night, but DOES carry the $100 Bonus. Doing this, the room rate will go down to $109 a night!

(This is the reason we broke our stay into "two" reservations.

We are arriving on Christmas Day, so who knows? Maybe we'll pass you in the lobby!
Old Dec 9th, 2007, 10:44 AM

I have stayed at that Hyatt often and think you will be very pleased! Enjoy your time in beautiful San Diego.
Old Dec 9th, 2007, 10:56 AM
GoTravel

I love that Hyatt. It is one of the nicest Hyatts I've ever stayed at.

Old Dec 9th, 2007, 11:28 AM

Hi zxtopz, it has been a few years since I have stayed at the Manchester GrandHyatt but I have always loved that hotel and also the location.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -