Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   I'm thinking I can skip a rental car in San Franciso... (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/im-thinking-i-can-skip-a-rental-car-in-san-franciso-634491/)

TravelingMom Jul 27th, 2006 11:14 AM

I'm thinking I can skip a rental car in San Franciso...

I'll be in San Francisco with my husband while he attends a conference in early September. We'll be traveling with our 4 month old son.

His company will pay for a rental car, if we choose to have one. However, it's a small company so we don't want to make them pay for a car if we're unlikely to use it.

I've been to SF before, but my only extended visit was many years ago. I think I will have no problem keeping myself entertained for the week in the city and can just use public transportation, carrying my son in the baby carrier. (I'm thinking a stroller on those hills would be WAY too much work!)

It seems the things I would want a car for (wine country, Yosemite, etc.) are too far or inappropriate activities for a mom with a nursing baby...Am I missing something? Is there a reason we would need/want a car?

Neopolitan Jul 27th, 2006 11:20 AM

Not that I can think of, unless you're staying in a really isolated area.

We've rented apartments for a month at a time a couple of times in SF and for the most part, our car stayed in the garage the whole time. We're getting ready for two weeks in the city starting next weekend, and again -- no car.

bardo1 Jul 27th, 2006 11:26 AM

<<Is there a reason we would need/want a car? <<

No.

shortcake05479 Jul 27th, 2006 11:29 AM

I don't see a reason to rent one. Parking is expensive and hard to find anyway although I'm sure the company would pay for it.

alan64 Jul 27th, 2006 11:32 AM

A car in S.F. is more hastle than help.

JJ5 Jul 27th, 2006 11:37 AM

You are correct. Don't get the car.

suze Jul 27th, 2006 11:38 AM

No car. I often visit San Francisco for long weekends and get around on foot and public transportation. A car would be more trouble than not.

SAB Jul 27th, 2006 11:40 AM

Bring a stroller if you want to, there are many parts of town where it will come in handy and if it's collaspsible you can still use public transportation.

FainaAgain Jul 27th, 2006 11:50 AM

I agree, there is no need for a car IF adults are traveling. I live here, and don't have a car. BUT if you carry the baby, how can you also carry diapers, wipes, bottles, whatever else is needed for both? Your husband will be busy at the conference. Can you do it alone?

trippinkpj Jul 27th, 2006 11:59 AM

I've done it in the city with a baby and no car. Just pack a day size diaper bag or backpack. With a a baby that small, I think you could still use a front snuggly type pack instead of a stroller. I had a sling type I liked. I think you will be fine, if you plan carefully and have the right type of diaper bag.

trippinkpj Jul 27th, 2006 12:02 PM

Oh, I would also have a foldable type stroller for walks. The Snuggly/ Sling for when you are taking public transit. From my experience. :-)

mykidssherpa Jul 27th, 2006 01:05 PM

One more comment about strollers in SF. On MUNI, the bus system, the "rules" say strollers must be folded to board the bus.

The drivers will turn a blind eye to that rule,generally, unless the bus is crowded, the driver is crabby (which is frequent, unfortunately) or someone complains. Be sure to set the brakes on the stroller so it doesn't take off when the bus goes uphill!

dovima Jul 27th, 2006 01:25 PM

Continuing from the poster above...

If you take the stroller, don't board buses or streetcars at peak commuter hours, esp. the evening rush hour. Although San Franciscans are generally a pretty courteous and symphathetic bunch, worker bees eager to get home between 5 and 6 p.m. are not going to cut you any slack and neither is the driver of whatever vehicle you are on.

You might want to re-consider a car for a day trip out to Point Reyes or Santa Cruz.

TravelingMom Jul 27th, 2006 02:46 PM

Thanks for the confirmation! I think we'll not get a car.

Still not sure about a stroller. I took my older son to Germany for 3 weeks at about the same age and never had a stroller - and never missed it. I don't mind the front carrier and the babies actually seem happier there than in the stroller.

I was a public transit commuter for a couple years in DC, so I totally empathize with annoyance on buses/trains/etc. I'll try to be careful! :)

Faina...thanks for your concern, but with two kids I've gotten pretty used to feeling like a packhorse! ;) Luckily, at 4 months he won't be eating any real food, so I'll just have to carry a couple diapers, wipes, and a change of clothes. I just look a little silly with a kid strapped to the front and a backpack strapped to the back.

Speaking of which - is there any concern with pickpockets trying to get into my backpack??!? I doubt they'd want the diapers, but I'd probably also have a camera and my credit cards/wallet...

SAB Jul 27th, 2006 03:55 PM

I think like most cities you just need to be aware on crowded public transportation--however the only problems I've ever heard about are downtown in large stores at Christmas. I would imagine that you should be more careful in crowds in tourist areas such as the Wharf and Union Square.