Search

Road to Hana

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 2004, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Road to Hana

What is the best way to travel the Road to Hana, clockwise or counterclockwise? Do you recommend stopping at the winery?

Thanks

Cathy
Old Sep 17th, 2004, 09:06 AM

I believe the way we went was clockwise, and I liked stopping in Pa'ia before the big drive. They have a good spot where you can pick up a nice picnic lunch (friends deli maybe? not sure). If you plan on doing a circle of the road (rather than driving out and back) make sure you have a four wheel drive vehicle.
Old Sep 17th, 2004, 09:42 AM

Another vote for wise, having also done it counterwise. If you pick up an audio CD guide tour of Hana you'll be outa sink counterwise. According to Maui Revealed, &are better wise (or forward) as well. Winery has decent but not outstanding wine, enjoyed the interesting pineapple wine and Maui Splash
Old Sep 17th, 2004, 09:53 AM

This has been the topic of many orevious threads here.

Driving clockwise has many advantages:
You can use guidebooks and cd tours to direct you. They will be useless if you drive from the south.

On the north side of Haleakala the afternoon shadows grow long early and by the time you get around there you will have lost your daylight.

There are turnouts on the mauka (inland) side of the road.

By the time you get to the north shore you will be in the midst of people who have already driven eastward earlier that day and are returning.

The waterfalls and points of interest are almost all on the north shore.

You do not need a four wheel drive vehicle, but do be very aware of the weather conditions. When we have heavy rains the road can become treacherous. And there can be heavy rains in Kipahulu when it is clear and sunny in other areas. The road beyond Kipahulu is also very prone to rock slides and loose gravel. A National Park Service ranger was killed earlier this week between Kipahulu and Kaupo when a boulder crashed down onto her on the roadway where she had stopped to clear some other rock debris. This is a greater problem during/after rains.

Winery tours are at 11:30 and at 1. Tastings are all day. I do recommend the wineray, but I usually send people there when they can spend some time, have a picnic, maybe combine it with some time at PoliPoli or other upcountry activities.

Driving the entirity of east Maui will take you about 6 hours, with just short stops. If you plan on swimming or hiking or spending any significant time at any one place, allow yourself more time. My husband took some visitors the full loop on Monday, and they stopped only briefly at key points--no hiking, no swimming. They were gone 8 hours.
Old Sep 18th, 2004, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help. I had heard that you really do not need a 4WD vehicle to do the whole route, I am glad to hear it from a local. We are going to Maui in March and I realize this is more of the rainy season, I will have to watch the weather closer as the time draws nearer.

Thanks again

Cathy