I'm looking for a hotel in San Francisco...

Jul 1st, 2005, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

I'm looking for a hotel in San Francisco...

I'm going to S.F. at the end of July for a week long workshop. Does anyone know of a hotel that is within walking distance(a mile or so) of 300 Gaven St? It is at the corner of Gaven and Boyston. If not walking distance then something relatively close would be fine.
Jul 1st, 2005, 07:03 PM
SAB

That's the Visitacion Valley area, I think--I don't know that there are any hotels in that area. What kind of workshop? I've lived in SF for over 30 years and have never had occaision to go to that neighborhood.
Jul 1st, 2005, 07:07 PM

Stay at Hotel Monaco and cab it.
Jul 1st, 2005, 07:14 PM
SAB

That's an expensive cab ride from downtown!! Ask the people who are hosting the workshop for suggestions.
Jul 1st, 2005, 07:20 PM

I don't have any idea where the workshop is, I just love the Monaco!
Jul 1st, 2005, 07:44 PM
Original Poster

SAB, it is a music educators workshop, how to teach jazz to children. It should be alot of fun! Check out www.douggoodkin.com.
Jul 1st, 2005, 07:51 PM
Original Poster

I think I will call the school. Thanks!
Jul 1st, 2005, 08:46 PM

Until you can call the school -
Go to mapquest.com
Enter the address
Once the map loads, choose hotels nearby (pull down menu at the top of the page)
It looks like all but one of your options are more than a mile away
Do you plan to have a rental car?

Every conference/ workshop I've attended has provided lists of hotels with conference-negotiated rates.

Disclaimer - I don't know the area, but if I'm going to a school a mile from the closest hotel options, I'd choose to get a rental car and choose a hotel location I'd like to be in rather than a hotel close to the school - especially if I'm going to be in San Fran for a week!

If downtown hotels are too pricey because of parking and otherwise, then choose hotels with dining/ recreational options nearby.

Good luck. Have fun with the workshop!
Jul 1st, 2005, 08:51 PM

YOu could also see if any of the hotels come up on tripadvisor.

For a week, I wonder what vrbo options you could find.
Jul 1st, 2005, 09:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions.
Starrsville, I'm sorry, what are vrbo options?
Jul 1st, 2005, 09:57 PM

Hi Elizabet, welcome to the US Board!

Dear one, this school is not in SF as most would think of SF. It is down 101 and the 280 turnoff. If you stay in SF proper you will need to take BART to GlenPark and than take a bus to the school - imagine some walking also.

Just to give you an idea of what I mean, 101 & the 280 turnoff is pretty close to SFO.

You need to talk to the school to see what lodgings are available around their area plus what local transporation is provided.

After you have gotten information from the school I hope you will post back here and let us know what you found out. You want to stay in a good safe place. If you need more help I can ask a family member that lives in that area, in Daly City. Take care and best wishes.
Jul 1st, 2005, 10:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, LoveItaly.
You said, "a good safe place" Is this school in a bad part of town? I don't know much about it. This workshop wasn't recommended to me by anyone. I just found out about it on my own and happen to be very interested in the subject. I'll still go, of course, but the more I know the better.
Jul 1st, 2005, 11:27 PM

Hi Elizabet, it is really late here in CA but hopefully tomorrow I will have time to email my family member and ask his advice. Not sure about lodging in that area and it does seem to me if you stay in downtown SF you will have a bit of a commute, but maybe something is workable. You aren't going until the end of July so don't panic - please - there is something that can be worked out. Will let you know as soon as I do. Take care.
Jul 2nd, 2005, 05:01 AM

LoveItaly, I saw "House on the Hill" in two places last night. One, listed as a hotel near the school and the other was a vrbo listing in the "Noe Valley". I'm wondering if they are the same. Is the area around the school the Noe Valley? (Have NO idea obviously).

Elizabet, take a look at vrbo.com. It's a website that lists vacation rentals by owner. There were several for less than $1000 / week - not exactly in downtown SF, but that may be a good thing for you.

LoveItaly, if she stayed relatively close to downtown, would she be going against traffic to get to the school in Daly City?

If I were doing a weeklong workshop in the Bay area, I would definitely stay somewhere "neat" and sightsee away in the evenings. In fact, SF would be my #1 draw and the workshop my reason for being there.

If you are a teacher, the expenses should be tax-deductible.
Jul 2nd, 2005, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice.
Jul 2nd, 2005, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

O.K. I just got an email from the school about hotels. All is well.
Jul 2nd, 2005, 11:21 AM

Hello Elizabet, I am glad you got info from the school as my family members are gone for the 3 day weeekend (they love to travel).

Hi Starrsville, Noe Valley is much closer to the school than say Union Sq., North Beach etc. It is further southwest, north of the 101/280 interchange.

Happy 4th to both of you!
Jul 2nd, 2005, 12:34 PM

I've been to this area (around Gaven and Boysten), many times, it's basically a residential area with well kept 1920s era townhouses, not dangerous at all. But as far as I know there are no hotels in the area and getting to it without a car is problematic. Looks like you've found a way to deal with this, though. Good Luck with your workshop.
Jul 4th, 2005, 10:50 PM
Original Poster

LoveItaly..starrsville...anyone?.Where exactly is the tenderloin area? This sounds intimidating. I've been sifting through travelocity and this has come up a couple of times.
The hotel Monaco will have to wait.Wow! It's beautiful! I definitely wouldn't behave if I stayed there!
Jul 4th, 2005, 10:59 PM

DO NOT STAY IN THE TENDERLOIN!!! Just as you suspected, not a very nice area, very seedy.

Good luck,

MichelleY

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO