I'm flying into Anchorage. Then what?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2nd, 2004, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been to all 50 states ... except Alaska. I know surprisingly little about this huge state and I need destination/excursion suggestions. Obviously, I need to do a lot of research and come up with specific questions. Here's all I know so far: I plan to use one of my frequent-flyer tickets and get to Anchorage. Then what? I have 8 or 9 days for this trip and I'd like to keep the cost under $2,000. I want to see some wildlife & some glaciers. I'd prefer a trip that's full of diversity, especially in regard to scenery. Any suggestions?
Old Dec 2nd, 2004, 01:37 PM

2bamafan, here are many people on this board who viisted Alaska and I willing to share their experiences. However, I think you should do search first under Alaska and get some ideas what Alaska is all about. You will find tons of information and answers to all your questions. After you do this part of your homework please do not hesitate to come back and ask more detailed questions. Good luck and have fun planning your trip.

Is $2000.00 for one person or more? What time of the year would you like to visit this amazing state? Are you planning on renting a car? Alaska is full of diversity and you willl see plenty of glaciers.
For the first time visitor and with only 8 days I would suggest
Anchorage 2 days
Denali 2 days
Talkeetna 1 day
Seward 3 days
Old Dec 2nd, 2004, 03:03 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Use the trip planning function at www.alaska.com, the Anchorage Daily News' excellent visitor-oriented website.

Time of year is crucial, and be aware that award seats on many airlines' FFPs are very hard to come by during peak periods, especially DL and UA.
Old Dec 2nd, 2004, 04:24 PM

Do yourself a huge favor and get a copy of the Milepost. This is a very thick tourbook of Alaska. It was suggested to us by several fodorites, and we were so glad we took their advice. It runs about $28.00, and most of your large bookstore chains will have it or will order it for you. You could also see if they have a copy at your local library.
Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 03:07 AM

All good suggestions. Depending on where you are coming from, you might loose an extra day to travel, i.e. 6PM flight departing ANC doesn't get to Chicago until 5AM the next day. A rental car could eat up a bigger chunk of $$$ than you expect but a car is necessary. If you stay at a B&B, choose one with good recommendations. Some serve a great breakfast and others just give you a cold bagel and juice and you never see your host(s) again. I think the Pratt Museum in Homer gave a great overview of life in Alaska. I think you need two weeks. June, July and August are all great months.
Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 10:03 AM

Yes, car rentals are expensive so plan accordingly. Drive to Denali (the Healey area) and stay at a B & B for a few nights. Way ahead of time book one of 'schoolbus' trips into Denali--bring your camera, snacks, water, and a pillow to sit on. If the 'golf course' restaurant is open, go there for excellent food. This was the highlight of our trip to Alaska! I also recommend the B & B in Anchorage which is run by two ladies and is part of a coverted log church (I think it was Inn on the Park or something like that). They serve a superb breakfast and tell you about good places to go and eat in Anchorage. Enjoy--you will!
Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 12:54 PM

"I'm flying into Anchorage....I want to see some wildlife.."

try the bush company..er country.
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 09:16 AM

What an intelligent suggestion, uhhhhhhhh! Your contributions to this board are so helpful! LOL ***kim***
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 10:40 AM

if you'd ever been to bush company..errr country, you'd know that the suggestion is at least responsive to the poster's request.
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 11:50 AM

Well first sit down and rest your arms....