Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

I'm confused about the perks at Disney resorts vs. Official Downtown Disney hotels

I'm confused about the perks at Disney resorts vs. Official Downtown Disney hotels

Apr 14th, 2003, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

My daughter, age 14, and I are taking a quick trip to Disney World prior to visiting family. It's the first Disney trip for both of us. I could save quite a bit of money by staying at the Grosvenor or the Hotel Royal Plaza, or even the Courtyard Mariott at DTD, but we only have 3 nights and I'd like to get the most out of them. If I buy a park hopper pass but am staying at an official DTD property, can I use Disney transportation to get between parks? Do the DTD hotels have access to the extra hour in the morning and the e-evenings? I considered the All Star resorts, but they seem geared toward much younger kids. Are they much closer to things than the DTD hotels? Any opinions or information is welcome. Thanks!
Apr 14th, 2003, 05:29 PM

we stayed at the doubletree in the disney village thinking the transportation would be great deal. Turns out buses run slow and it takes 2x as long. If you can't stay at a Disney property, stay at a chain and drive.
Apr 15th, 2003, 05:19 AM

Bus service isn't the greatest at the DTD hotels. I'd go with the All Stars. We saw lots of people there who had teenagers or no children at all. The theming is beautiful, the food court is wonderful, and their buses run continuously. You definitely get a bang for your buck there.
Apr 15th, 2003, 07:05 AM

definitely stay on disney property - so much easier and saves so much time. do not do all star - for just a little more can stay at the moderate resorts - pick either of the port orleans resorts. our local paper shows summer discount.rates at the moderate resorts for 94.00. the port orleans resorts are gorgeous and have wonderful pools. definitely worth 94.00 or even their normal rate.
Apr 15th, 2003, 09:21 AM

I'm going to throw a bucket of cold water on things here........if your daughter is into rides (roller coasters), you will be wasting your time at Disney. Instead look into Univeral and Island of Adventure. Many, many more rides geared to teens, and if you stay on property, you get to go to the first of the line by showing your room key. I know, you feel if you are in Orlando, you must visit the mouse, but from my experience with my own daughters, Universal is at the top of the list.
Apr 15th, 2003, 10:37 AM
GoTravel

Have to agree with HappyTrails. Universal definitely has the better 'fun parks' but Disney has the monopoly on that Disney feeling.

Apr 15th, 2003, 12:57 PM

I have stayed at both. My first time we stayed at the M. Courtyard. The buses worked well for us, for some places we also had to connect to the monorail. Now, after staying in an official resort, I would recommend staying in an official Disney hotel. I didn't realize how much time we spent waiting for a bus or connecting. It wasn't enough to ruin my fun (in fact it gave us time to rest, I didn't get the second time) so if you go that route it will be just fine. If you can spring for something more expensive I would recommend it. Either way you'll have a great time.

Enjoy!
Apr 15th, 2003, 12:58 PM

I also think that Disney isn't doing the early hours anymore - with the fastpass it isn't so necessary is what I was told.
Apr 15th, 2003, 01:20 PM

If you are going to go to Disney, stay on Disney property and upgrade to one of the moderates. IMHO, the All Stars are on the same level as Motel 6 on Disney Property, walls are paper thin and you can hear the toilets flush, woodwork is beat up, rooms are showing their wear and tear. It is a good value on Disney property for those watching with kids, but you get what you pay for. Inexpensive=Very modest and not very nice. They are clean I will give them that and they do have a food court which is mediocre and expensive.

I also agree with the above poster on Universal. My teenage grandkids love that place and think Disney is for babies.
Apr 15th, 2003, 01:20 PM

I live near Disneyland and have been to Disneyworld several time and I have to disagree with the posters who say skip Disney. If you have never been there you will enjoy it. My nephews have been to both Disneyland and Disneyworld several times (they are 11 and 13) and they still enjoy it a lot. I also know lots of S. CA kids who go to Disney regularly. You have to do it at least once!! Enjoy!
Apr 15th, 2003, 01:37 PM
kp

No matter where you stay -- your daughter would probably also enjoy the water parks!

We've always enjoyed Ft. Wilderness. When the children were small (the youngest is now 22) we stayed in one of their trailers. For our last visit we stayed at Ft. Wilderness Lodge--very nice!
Apr 15th, 2003, 01:50 PM

We stayed at the All Star Sports the beginning of January. We were only there to sleep so can't see paying more money for a bed. We bought a cooler and had breakfast in our room. The bus system is great. I would never stay off property.
Apr 15th, 2003, 03:19 PM

They definetly got rid of the Early morning arrival-the downtown disney resorts were elligible for this when it was happening though--but if you get there about 30 mins early you can be amongst the first in line for the good rides once the parks open....the late staying is only at the magic kindom and you have to pay 10 extra I think--have never done it--Park hoppers are nice----allowing you to go to Epcot or MGM in the afternoon when their crowds are lighter...Blizzard Beach was quite fun...You are elligible for Downtown Disney transportation which is usually in the form of coach shuttle busses--but official disney transport is steps away at the Downtown Disney Market place.....We have stayed at the All Stars quite a few time and since we spend all days/all available moments at the park it has been a nice savings in money while still having all of the amenities of disney (transportation, package delivery, etc.....) Good Luck! Enjoy DIsney (I am 23 and still love going!) Though take a look at Islands of Adventure too...it is quite fun.
Apr 15th, 2003, 03:57 PM

We were just in Orlando and stayed in DTD the Royal Plaza. This was Presidents week , which from has been posted here is one of the busiest weeks in Orlando. The rate thru expedia was 53.00 a night and the cheapest disney rate was 125.00 for same time period.
The Royal Plaza was fantastic, great pool and whirlpool, fantastic staff, lovely property and the shuttle buses came right on time. We had no children adn The royal plaza seemed to have good things for teens, game room , gym etc.
Now to agree witht he other posters Universal is really the place to go for fun rides and if you don;t stay on property you can pay an additional 10.00 per person and get the speed pass. Well worth it. I must admit we were terribly dissapointed with Disney.
We went o Magic Kingdom(fine if you are 9), Epcot ( a large scale giftshop with merchandise from around the world) Epcot did have fantastic fireworks. MGM/Disney ( was sort of a rip off of Universal with poor quality attractions ) . We must say we were a little let down by Disney as we had been to Disneyland Paris and it was great. I think with Disney you are hyped for years and you gatt here and it's all old.
Pirates of the Carribean was great in 1970, but not to great now, same with small world. Universal really has all the new hi-tech rides. Have fun try the Royal Plaza and stay away from the Grovesnor our friends stayed there and it is really sort of tired and dirty.
Apr 15th, 2003, 04:39 PM

I'd have to say that many of the Islands of Adventure rides are a rip off of Disney---not the other way around....
*please excuse my bad spelling*
Examples : Khalahari at Animal Kingdom is a simmilar ride at Universal....
Islands of adventure flume ride= splash mountain---
I think there were one or two other obvious copies
However the roller coasters at Islands of Adventure don't compare to any at Disney at the present time.....
(when did they start charging you extra to go to the front of the line---is this instead of the single riders lines?)
Spiderman is amazing....
If it's hot when you're here try Blizzard beach on a nice afternoon if you do do park hopper---It was a great deal of fun, My dad (49, and Myself 23 had a bit more fun than my sister 12) ---she was a little scared of the longest fastest slide in (america?) My dad and I did it about three times a piece.
Apr 16th, 2003, 05:39 AM
sam

I'm taking my son, and a friend (ages 10), and daughter (age 6), and I just booked Port Orleans French Quarter (in Disney), and found out they're closing for renovations. They're offering the other moderates (Coronado Springs and Caribbean Beach). If you call 407-wdisney and ask for Central Reservations office (CRO for short) and ask for rate code AXA, you should get a $94/night rate. Otherwise they're about $144/night.