Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

I'm afraid of West Nile Virus...Are there mosquitos in New Orleans during January?

Search

I'm afraid of West Nile Virus...Are there mosquitos in New Orleans during January?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2003, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in a state that is virtually mosquito-free and am probably overly afraid of West Nile Virus. Nonetheless,I'd like to come to New Orleans if there is a time when the mosquitos are mostly gone,hopefully because of frost/kill.Are there any mosquito-free months in NOLA? I was thinking about visiting next January.What is the current status of West Nile Virus in New orleans?
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 04:46 PM
Lola

Better stay out of NY and NJ and Connecticut and Florida too.
Where is a state that is mosquito free, I would love that! Not having to bother with buzzing biting insects every summer night!
If there are mosquitos in NO in the winter, wear OFF. I use it in the summer when I walk my dog in the evenings and I never get bitten.

Old Jan 29th, 2003, 05:52 PM

I'd worry more about the drunk drivers in N.O. than the infinitesimal chance you'll get the fever.
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 06:13 PM
Dan

If you're worried, use an insect repellent. I haven't seen any mosquitoes lately and the freeze last week probably killed many of them. They'll be back in the spring and summer, though, as will West Nile. So, protect yourself and remember that something like 99%+ of the people who contract the disease exhibit no symptoms.
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 06:15 AM

I wouldn't be too concerned. As has been stated, just use an insect repellant if you're here during the mosquito season, which is usually summer but sometimes fall/spring as well. The City has done a decent job of spraying for mosquito control and I didn't think they were very prevelant last year.
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 06:59 AM

marthag-
West Nile Virus is only dangerous for anyone who has a significantly compromised immune system. If you have a compromised immune system, then you should worry about West Nile. If not, you should worry that you worry too much.
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 07:09 AM

Seriously, where is your mosquito free state? I've heard many references as to Minnesota being the "land of mosquitos" etc. because of the many lakes in the area....and this is despite its harsh winters. Honestly, is there such a thing as a mosquito free state?

Anyway, beyond that, follow the former posters advice, buy some OFF!, and have a great time!
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 07:31 AM

I don't know where marthag is from, but I can tell you that on the California coast mosquitos aren't a problem.
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 09:12 AM

I was just in NO a couple weeks ago and I can assure you that there aren't any mosquitos in January. It was WAY, WAY too cold for them.

You won't need insect repellent, you'll need a scarf, gloves, hat, and a warm coat!!
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 09:37 AM

We don't have mosquitos in So Nevada either. Anyhoo, I purchased Royal Neem spray before we went to Florida last year and it worked very well. I don't like to use the DEET products as they may cause cancer. I picked mine up off the internet through the yahoo shopping website.
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 09:37 AM

I think the Mosquitos might need little bitty scarves and gloves too