I love San Francisco by Seaurchin

Nov 16th, 2006, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

I love San Francisco by Seaurchin

I do love San Francisco! Last Friday Seashell and I caught an early morning plane on Frontier airlines at LAX and flew off to SFO. We took a cab into town which came to about 35 dollars.

We stayed at the lovely Villa Florence Hotel at 225 Powell Street, just a block from Union Square. It is such a great location and has been remodeled nicely, we stayed in a jr. suite at 265 a night. The staff were all extremely helpful and pleasant which added so much enjoyment to our stay.

The restaurant in the hotel is Kuletos (http://www.villaflorence.com/vfhdini/index.html). We had the best American style breakfast there every morning. The eggs were cooked perfectly and served with the tasty crispy homemade San Francisco sourdough bread. With perfect non-greasy potatoes and a glass of fresh orange juice and coffee it was a steal at about 10 or 11 dollars. There is also a tiny sidewalk café where you can get the coffees and bakery goods and sit at ice cream tables or go back into the lobby to munch. I would definitely stay here again.

Although we have been to San Francisco many times we decided to take a walking tour and learn some history and facts first hand from a native. I booked Foottours which is a local company who hires local comics to walk you around. I thought, why not. Our guide, Tom, was a kick, very knowledgeable about SF history and unknown and rare facts and tidbits. (www.foottours.com/) If you donít see the tour you want on the day you want on the website calendar just call and they will try and accommodate you. This is what I did and we took the whole shebang tour which lasted over three hours. We had so much fun!

We had dinner on Friday at Mona Lisa at 353 Columbus Avenue in North Beach
http://cityinsights.com/sanfran/monalisa.htmAs noted here on Fodors, the food is excellent. The service this night was not the tops as we were asked to leave the table
after about an hour and a half, minutes after we had finished eating and were still talking. I have never been asked to leave a table for the next set of customers coming in and was taken aback. It was a very busy night and we were seated earlier than our reservation so that may have been the reason BUT the food and ambiance was so good that it made up for it and we decided we would love to return the next night. Great bottle of Frascati wine.

The next day we shopped around Chinatown and around Union Square. Seashell wanted to fix up her daughterís newly remodeled room in Asian style so she was on the prowl for all things black, white and red with an Asian flair. She found some lanterns, silk pillows, etc. which I think will really make her daughter happy. Of course I had to buy scarves and goodies too.

We went to an excellent tea tasting at Vital Tea Leaf at 1044 Grant Avenue. It was nice to sit down and be treated to free tea tastings. The girl was really knowledgeable about teas and their merits. We live near an Asian community so we know how expensive teas can be if they are prepared and stored properly and are of good quality in the first place. Our girl gladly and patiently explained the tea brewing process of each set of leaves or buds and what the medicinal prospects were. After we had tasted and chosen our favs she even told us we were buying too much of each and had us scale down our purchases until we saw how we liked the results or tastes of the tea. Now that is rare! It is quite an experience to sit at the little bar tasting all the exotic teas. We tasters all bonded and we became one energetic group! Not very expensive either for the tea leaves we bought.

Sat night we went back to Mona Lisa, the food lured us back. And this time another waiter was friendly and joking and looked like "Big" on Sex and the City and we had excellent food and company. Frescobaldi again. Snooped around North Beach and then back to the hotel.

Sunday we had brunch/lunch at Kuletos which offered excellent fish dishes, great Antinori wine and company. Friends then offered to drive us over to Union Street to visit one of Seashellís clients in the clothing biz, Mimiís on Union. 2133 Union Street, which is cute little boutique. Of course I bought some more clothes and we had a good old time with the saleswoman, who was very helpful. www.mimionunion.com
We browsed around Union Street which is really lovely and happening!+

Off to the Cliffhouse for drinks at sunset, of course. Hot fudge sundae and coffee, good views and good friends, what a way to end a wonderful weekend.

Nov 16th, 2006, 04:40 PM

Love SF too, even though have just visited once. Thanks for the post with some good ideas for visitors.
Nov 16th, 2006, 05:01 PM

SeaU - so glad that you enjoyed your time in our City. Sounds as if you had a very full weekend and you lucked by just missing the rain.

I like Mimi's too, good selection and an honest salesperson. I will be wearing my recently purchased jacket and snappy scarf, in Paris over the holidays.

Come back any time, sans mouse, we love having appreciative visitors like you.

You must have left your mouse from Paris behind (possibly escaped from your luggage), as one showed up in my garage right after the weekend.

Nina
Nov 16th, 2006, 09:26 PM

oh, Seaurchin! I'm so jealous! First France and now San Francisco...two of my fave cities.

You shoulda dropped in on the plastic surgeon from Jim Haynes' party, he's located on Post St.
Nov 17th, 2006, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Hi, yes it was a fine weekend. The website for Vital Tealeaf is www.vitaltleaf.com. I just had some of the rosebud mixture and it is delicious.
Nov 17th, 2006, 07:22 AM
Kal

I don't want a plastic surgeon...I want a real one.

If you're not in debt after a trip you're doing it wrong. $)
Nov 17th, 2006, 08:12 AM

I am glad you ladies enjoyed San Francisco, but... how dare you to take another walking tour, not one of the "free" tours heavily promoted by a Fodor's poster
Nov 17th, 2006, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

Hey, Melissa, I forgot about the "plastic" surgeon! Darn! Is that like a blowup doll?

Faina, I hardly ever come over to the USA forum so I missed out on the free walking tour info. Mine was good though.
Nov 17th, 2006, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

Oh, in case anyone reads this in the future I want to add that Angie is the name of the sharp young woman at the tea tasting who was so helpful in assisting us, ask for her!
Nov 17th, 2006, 06:34 PM

hahahaaaa oh, you guys. He's a real surgeon!

So next time we should have a GTG in SF....on Bastille Day!!
Nov 17th, 2006, 08:24 PM

All right! Bastille Day it is!