Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   I-95 Washington D C (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/i-95-washington-d-c-585994/)

roy Jan 28th, 2006 01:16 PM

I-95 Washington D C

We're starting the annual pilgrimage to Florida from Ct. tomorrow and will be hitting Washington around 2:00 pm on I-95. I'm aware that traffic is never good there but can I assume that it won't be any worse than normal due to construction at this time of year on a Sunday?

VandalayVacations Jan 28th, 2006 01:24 PM

you should be fine around that time... between Fredricksburg and DC you might hit some slow spots, but it usually isn't too bad. if the restricted lanes are open as you get closer then you might want to jump on those.

MikeT Jan 28th, 2006 01:58 PM

I wouldn't worry about it.

DellaS Jan 28th, 2006 02:10 PM

You should be fine - there may be some delays south of DC due to construction, but nothing like a weekday - I would assume nothing.

obxgirl Jan 28th, 2006 02:44 PM

I've found VDOT's 511 cell number to be pretty useful for real time traffic information (accidents, construction, weather).

As others have said, there's nothing about 2 pm on a January Sunday that should cause you problems. However for planning purposes I always assume I95 will offer up some sort of delay and plan accordingly if I've got appointments. Sounds like you don't and are only passing through. Wishing you happy travels.

Hazelmn Jan 28th, 2006 03:37 PM

You'll be fine on a Sunday. There really isn't a good alternative route (they are just as likely to have problems).

Budman Jan 28th, 2006 04:29 PM

I leave Northern Virginia on a Sunday afternoon virtually once a month, and I refuse to drive I-95 North of Baltimore to the Del-Memorial Bridge. It can be insane at times.

I found the best route & least traffic would be to take Rt 50 toward Annapolis, cross the Bay Bridge, and take Rt 30l North. Once you get into Delaware, take 299 towards Middletown and connect to Rt 1 North. Yes, you will have a $1 toll. Continue on Rt 1 towards Rt 295 North. It will lead you into the Del Mem Bridge. Do not take the exit off to the right towards Rt 95/495. You will hit lots of traffic that way. If you continue straight, it will lead off the highway onto Dupont Parkway -- a few traffic lights, but harmless with regards to time.

I've been taking this route for the past 5 years. Too many traffic jams/bottle necks/delays on Rt 95 North of Baltimore. ((b))

roy Jan 28th, 2006 06:10 PM

Thanks to all of you for your comments and advice. I'm going to just go for the I-95 route with my eyes closed and the pedal to the metal and hope to get to Roanoke Rapids for my free room.

Budman Jan 28th, 2006 06:22 PM

Oops, sorry, I was thinking going the opposite way.

If you are taking the Turnpike south thru NJ, listen to radio channel 101.5. They will give you a traffic report every 15 minutes beginning 3 minutes after the hour - 3/18/33/48. Sometimes the Turnpike has problems and you might have to divert over to Rt 295, which parallels Rt 95. ((b))

roy Jan 29th, 2006 04:53 PM

It's a done deal now. No problems at all except a minor slowdown just south of the Beltway for a couple of miles. Otherwise, smooth sailing. Thanks again