Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   I-80 Driving route to miss traffic in New York City (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/i-80-driving-route-to-miss-traffic-in-new-york-city-205866/)

marge Apr 25th, 2002 12:24 PM

I-80 Driving route to miss traffic in New York City

In June during the week we will be driving from I-80 to Fall River, Mass. I would like to double check if our route is the best to take to bypass New York City.<BR><BR>From I-80 in NJ take I-287 toward Morristown/Boonton to White Plains and then I-95 near Port Chester.

David Apr 25th, 2002 01:06 PM

While it's true your route does bypass the city, that doesn't always mean this route will take you less time.<BR><BR>Taking I-80 straight to the George Washington Bridge and connecting with I-95 there is slightly shorter than taking I-287 and going over the Tappan Zee Bridge. And, the Tappan Zee Bridge often has traffic problems that are just as bad, if not worse, than the GW Bridge<BR><BR>I would suggest you listen to traffic reports on BOTH 880 and 1010 AM and see if there any problems at either bridge...if there is a big back-up at the Tappan Zee Bridge ("to Westchester") and relatively little traffic at the GWB ("Inbound")...you're better off taking I-80 straight to the GWB

trafficpolice Apr 25th, 2002 04:01 PM

David's response is logical depending on which way the traffic is on the Cross Bronx.

rqf Apr 25th, 2002 07:52 PM

The route you indicated will take you over the Tappan Zee bridge. There is construction on the east side of the bridge and delays could be a problem. Went over the bridge at about 7 pm Sunday past, traveling east to west. Traffic going west to east was backed for more than five miles. Do listern to the traffic reports on 880AM - reports are given every 8 minutes

driver Apr 26th, 2002 04:55 AM

Having made that trip a bundle of times, I'd say a lot depends on the day and time you're traveling.<BR><BR>RFQ notes that there was a big backup at the Tappan Zee at 7 on a Sunday night. No surprise there, since, the Sunday night traffic is always heavy. <BR><BR>The Tappan Zee/GW Bridge debate has raged on for years. I guess it all depends on the driver.

nyer Apr 26th, 2002 05:19 AM

marge:<BR>Another route to take is 80 to 287 to 87 (NY State Thruway) to exit 16 east, I84 towards Danbury CT. Go over the Newburgh Beacon Bridge stay on 84 to Massachusetts.

John Apr 26th, 2002 06:10 AM

We were a part of this debate many months ago and tried out Neal Sanders suggestion:<BR>Take I-80 across the GWB. Exit soon after crossing into NY onto Major Deegan Expy North. Exit over to Hutchinson Pky which turns into the Merrit Pky in Conn. (Not sure of details of directions, look at a map on greater NYC).<BR>This route is fast and avoids (most of) the Cross Bronx Expy. The only "but" is that the Hutch/Merrit is 2 lane and slightly winding.

rqf Apr 26th, 2002 06:20 AM

If you decide to take John's route be advised that from the Deegan you have to take the Cross Count Parkway eastbound to get to the Hutchinson. Once on the Hutchinson you can take 287 to 95.or continue on the Merrit

nyc Apr 26th, 2002 07:48 AM

time and day of the week are important variables. if you are that concerned about hitting traffic, listen to 880 or 1010AM for traffic reports. the shortest way is through the city - over the GWB to the cross bronx up to ct.<BR><BR>the I-84 way will, most likely, avoid traffic, but adds a lot of distance to your trip.<BR><BR>i actually think that the traffic on nyc highways is not all that bad at many times as compared to a lot of other us cities these days, at least the places i have visited recently.

marge Apr 26th, 2002 11:23 AM

Wow!! Thanks a lot. I thought by looking at the map the Tappan Zee would be better than the GW. It's the GWB for us. Appreciate the radio station info. We'll try to hit the area about 10 a.m.

AC Apr 27th, 2002 03:56 PM

Marge:<BR>When you are coming to the GWB and the Cross Bronx is messed up and it usually is....my suggestion is to stay on the lower level. Follow the signs for Deegan South (I87) you will pass Yankee Stadium. Stay in the Center lane. You will pass the entrance to the Triboro Bridge. Stay to the left. You will be on the Bruckner Expressway. It is usually not as busy as the Cross Bronx and after you go "around the horn" the Bruckner turn north as I-95. A few miles and minutes more but sometimes I find it much easier to use. Email me if you need an more help.