Cell Phone coverage on North Rim Grand Canyon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am a Verizon cell phone and internet user and planning a trip to the North Rim. I am hoping for cell phone coverage, at minimum, and would be very happy if I could get internet, as well. Any info on this topic would be appreciated.
Old Aug 7th, 2010, 12:46 PM

Why ?
Old Aug 7th, 2010, 01:22 PM

I wonder what SanParis2 would do with the info if you replied to her/his question.

Anyway, Verizon does have coverage maps. Click here.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/C...atorController
Old Aug 7th, 2010, 01:30 PM
J62

I recall that Verizon had a tower near the South Rim - we had a strong signal there. Don't know about north rim.
Old Aug 7th, 2010, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

I wasn't sure if SanParis2 wondered why go to the NOrth Rim, or why do I need to know about coverage..???

Thank you dbdurand for the link. I will check it out.
Old Aug 7th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

what I saw about the north rim, from 2 or 3 years ago, there were no towers there, and if you stood in the right place and held your tongue just right you might get signal from the South Rim. I was hoping for updated info about new coverage.

thanks.
Old Aug 7th, 2010, 03:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have ATT and got reception at the lodge on NR. But that was about it.
Old Aug 7th, 2010, 06:18 PM

Why do people need cell phones & internet coverage @ the Grand Canyon ? I can think of no reasonable explanation for this, except in the case of an emergency. Get off the grid, you may actually enjoy it.
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

In an ideal world, I could do that SAnParis2. But...it's either take the tech with me on vacation, or stay at work... My choice is clear.

Thanks, all!
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 02:21 PM

Received 42 Likes on 2 Posts
Not sure if this would also apply to the North Rim but I was at the South Rim back in June and only had my Verizon cell phone. My connection would go in and out at various times. I guess since I was there for my bithday, I wasn't supposed to carry my phone around? I do have family and friends who called to wish me a happy birthday and in my opinion there was nothing wrong with that.

Work had also wanted me to take my blackberry but I refused. I told them that I would be in a remote area and might not even have a connection. Besides, I wouldn't be able to do anything if something happened and I wasn't near a computer. Sure enough, a hugh problem happened. Although I couldn't do much, I was able to walk my assistant through some of it and was well aware of it before I got back to work (my assistant called me on my cell phone).

I choose only to bring my cell phone as I didn't want to carry both phones. Some of us don't really have much choice in leaving the cell phone and internet connection at home. As much as I would have loved to, I need to work to pay my bills.
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 05:03 PM

Perhaps find a new job, would be an alternative ???
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 05:23 PM

"Perhaps find a new job, would be an alternative ???"

. . and for those of us who are self employed and have no choice other than to be in touch . . ?

Are you really so out of touch that you cannot imagine someone living life differently than yours?
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 05:36 PM
EBZ

I just returned from the NR and I have Verizon and I had good reception all around the Lodge area. My parents have ATT and had very poor reception.
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 08:16 PM

Thanks for that info, EBZ. We switched to Verizon from AT+T several years ago because we had difficulty getting a signal in a number of places in New Mexico, including downtown Albuquerque! That did it.
Old Apr 10th, 2016, 07:16 AM

I own my own company. I also enjoy visiting national parks, and hiking. But because of my business I MUST be able to use my cell phone for just about 1/2 hour a day. I need to contact my staff, etc. Thank you EBZ for your information on the use of your Verizon....this will literally help me decide if I can stay at the North Rim...otherwise I would have to make another decision. Oh and Rich "Perhaps find a new job would be an alternative" are you kidding? I have spent years and hard work in making this a successful company! Just toss that all away to visit the North Rim? Not being able to use my cell phone for a week would be detrimental to my business. If anybody else has any useful information on the coverage with Verizon at the North Rim that would be great.
Old Apr 10th, 2016, 08:15 AM

Received 42 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't worry selfempoyedguy. When I looked up SAnParis2 after their post, this user had posted a trip report and mentioned their cell phone didn't work all week in Arizona. They had AT&T so their remark here made no sense to me.

I know this original topic was started almost six years ago so Internet availability may be better now. You might want to start another new post to get more up to date info. I know it is a bit more remote but hope you can still go.
Old Apr 10th, 2016, 11:40 AM

The original post is 6 years old. Things could be quite different now.