Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Newport Beach--restaurants to walk to?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14th, 2010, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be staying at the Hyatt Regency Newport Beach for a conference in January. I'm wondering if there are any restaurants in walking distance (other than the ones located in the hotel, of course).

Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 14th, 2010, 11:22 AM

I don't know if it's walking distance in your view, but The Crab Cooker is my all-time favorite place for grilled fresh shrimp, lobster, scallops, fish. Very fun and funky southern Cal vibe. An original. Get there way before dinner time, as it gets mobbed.

At the very least, get a bowl of their clam chowder to go, with their awesome soup bread-thingies (my technical name for them-- little golf ball sized crusty baked bread rolls for the chowder.) It's a special treat to eat the chowder out on the Newport pier. Ahhhhh, gotta love SoCal!
Old Nov 14th, 2010, 11:24 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
No, unless "walking distance" includes things a mile or two away. It's the old "Newporter" that got re-named some years ago. Beware - room quality varies significantly.

However I believe the hotel offers shuttle services to Fashion Island, an upscale shopping center up the hill to the south. Plenty of dining/activity choices there.
Old Nov 14th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, this is great information. I can walk a mile or two if I have the time but no, not really what I'd consider walking distance for a quick lunch! But, when we have time to escape from the conference I'll venture further afield.

Thanks again!
Old Nov 15th, 2010, 05:11 AM

I have stayed there and enjoyed it. Fashion Island is right there and I believe the hotel will give you bikes that you can ride to Balboa Island - which is very quaint and you should check out.
Old Nov 15th, 2010, 08:37 AM

Borrowing bikes is a great idea. And it's all flat riding, too. Yay.
Old Nov 15th, 2010, 08:40 AM

yes it is a pretty flat ride - the only "hairy" place is crossing a few larger streets to get to balboa Island but doable. Check with the Hyatt - I saw bikes and saw people riding them. I got the room for SO cheap on Priceline and DIL and DS stayed their for their anniversary last year - I gave them a night there and they loved it.