Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Hyatt Regency Capital Hill as Bad as I have read?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/hyatt-regency-capital-hill-as-bad-as-i-have-read-398275/)

emhg89 Feb 12th, 2004 04:48 AM

Hyatt Regency Capital Hill as Bad as I have read??

We are going to D.C. this coming week, have the Grand Hyatt book for the first few days but was sold out for the additional days we need. We have those extra days booked at the Hyatt Regency at Capital Hill - Is it as bad as was I have read - it sounds like the rooms are dirty and disgusting? Would like to hear from people who have stayed recently.

milliebz Feb 12th, 2004 07:53 AM

I have stayed there recently and did not have a dirty or disgusting room. It was fine. Almost every hotel has a reveiwer make comments about their experience that completely contradicts others. Look at tripadvior.com and you will see.

Pumpy Feb 12th, 2004 09:18 AM

Granted I stayed there nearly a year ago, however I like our room and loved the location. Our room had a view of the capital building (quite nice at night), the hotel has an indoor pool (great for kids), & the location makes it an easy walk to the Capital and/or Mall/ Smithsonian.

emhg89 Feb 12th, 2004 09:38 AM

I read the reviews on tripadvisor - all of them except for 1 made it sound like a nightmare to stay there. I have always found Hyatts to have a standard to expect. I stayed here over 10 years ago and it was a business hotel that was clean - hoped by now it was updated and maintained. Still hoping that the Grand where we are booked will have the additonal 2 days we want open up. I think because it is near the MCI Center it got booked for fans? Hopefuly someonew will cancel.

stevecat Feb 12th, 2004 08:08 PM

Keep in mind people pay vastly different rates on the same type of rooms at hotels and this can (and rightly so) influence an opinion about the property. The hotel in question here comes up on priceline for around $50 a night. Reserved through hyatt.com the price is usually three to four times that amount, even higher around certain dates. Now if I'm paying $200 a night I have a great deal more expectation on quality than $50.

milliebz Feb 13th, 2004 08:22 AM

I have not read the reviews on tripadvisor because I only review hotels where I have not stayed. I also bid on Priceline and when I recently bid I was hoping for the Hyatt but I was not successful at my price. Because I was aware the Hilton coming up at my price I switched from bidding *3 to *4 and got the Hilton. For my previous stays at the Hyatt it was for business so I did not bid Priceline. I think most hotels in D.C. and New York are overpriced. However, the Hyatt IMHO is no where near a nightmare. It is a decent comfortable hotel. My suggestion would be go to biddingfortravel.com and use Priceline to get a reasonable rate on any of the hotels so you won't feel comprimised.