Hyatt points for Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a last minute trip to NYC for the week of Thanksgiving 2008. My nephew is going to be in the Macy's Thanksgiving parade! We would like to use our Hyatt points, possibly staying W, TH, and Fri. It's hard to find reasonable accomodations for a family of 6. Any suggestions on where to stay that would accomodate 6 people?

Any must sees? It will be my first time (as well as our 4 children) to New York!! My husband has been there before.
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Correction. Our points are NOT Hyatt points.

They are American Express points. We have 270,000 Amex points and transfer them over to the hotel we stay in.

Where can we fit 6 people?? My parents and brother's family are staying at the Sheridan Hotel on Times Square.
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 04:47 PM

You can't put 6 people in a hotel room in NYC - it's against the fire laws.

For 6 people you need either a suite or 2 rooms. And you have picked possibly the most expensive and busiest weekend of the wear.

I very much doubt that any hotel will honor points during that week - even if they still have rooms available.

I would start - NOW this instant - to look at the various hotels in the chains that the points are good for to see

1) if they have rooms available (2 for 3 each or a large room for 4 and a regular one for 2)

2) if they are honoring points that week

3) start with the largest hotels (ie the Hilton on 6th Ave - since they have the best chance of having a room or a cancellation)

Do not worry about the exact location of the hotel or exactly what you would prefer - just start with who still has room. (I looked for rooms for that weekend for someone else about 5 weeks ago and there was practically nothing left except in luxury hotels.)

(Have just checked a couple of major hotels and they all show full. Also - none allows more than 4 people per room. I would contact the hotels now by phone to see what options you have.)
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

I was able to reserve a room today at the Sheraton at Times Square w/2 double beds for $179 on 11/25. The following 2 nights (11/26-11/28) we are using American Express Card points, which we are converting to Starwood points. However, they only have a king bed available for those 2 nights. Thankfully, since both my parents and my brother and his wife have rooms at the Sheraton too, that leaves me with options - some of my children can sleep in their rooms if necessary.

I was even able to book 6 tickets for the Rockettes for $36.00 each (+10.75 per ticket for handling charge). They are decent seats. I'm really excited!

I'd really like to see NYSE on Wall Street during trading time. I guess that is daily at 4pm? Are tourists allowed in the building anymore?
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 07:03 PM

I believe the NYSE is closed to visitors.
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 08:40 AM

NYSE has been closed to visitor since 9/11.

I hope you are succesful in putting extra people in your family's other rooms - since you don't really know until you get there what your bed configuration will be - unless you have paid extra for more beds.