Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   hyatt monterey (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/hyatt-monterey-236443/)

Joyce Jul 3rd, 2002 06:28 AM

hyatt monterey

I got a great rate at the hyatt in Monterey/Seaside. Can anyone tell me about the hotel and about how far from cannery row. plan to go the the aquarium. Resonable parking around?

Ron Jul 3rd, 2002 08:30 AM

Joyce,<BR><BR>I can't speak for the Hyatt but I would guess you would be less than 30 minutes from Cannery Row.<BR><BR>Parking around Cannery Row and the Aquarium (at the end of the Row) is all metered, however, there are a couple of municipal parking lots right nearby that are not that expensive and you wouldn't have to worry about plugging the meter every couple hours. In other words you would have all day to just wander around the Aquarium (we're members and always recommend that anyone going take their time and really enjoy it) and up and down Cannery Row.<BR><BR>If you go early you could stop at First Awakenings there in the American Can Co. Mall for breakfast or a brunch and then just walk over to everything.<BR><BR>Enjoy your trip<BR>Ron

Todd Jul 3rd, 2002 08:31 AM

I hope you got it on Priceline where the going rate is around $46/night. If you didn't, check out biddingfortravel.com.<BR><BR>I stayed there a month ago. It is a short drive to cannery row, but not walking distance. Lots of free parking at the hotel. The hotel has nice grounds, but the rooms are older. Certainly not one of Hyatt's finer hotels. I'd stay there again in a heartbeat for the price I paid though. It was more than adequate.

Todd Jul 3rd, 2002 08:41 AM

Ron, the Hyatt is more like a 5 minute drive to Cannery Row, nowhere near 30 minutes.

Betsy Jul 3rd, 2002 09:51 AM

Ditto Todd's post exactly. Stayed there in April for $45 thru PL. Nice farmer's market not far from the hotel on the grounds of the Monterey Peninsula Community College. Not sure which day/days.

Ron Jul 3rd, 2002 03:41 PM

Ooops! Thanks guys, I was thinking of the Best western back off Rt 1 near Rt 218.<BR><BR>I'd still allow a little more than 5 minutes though (;-). And, gee, 5 minutes is less than 30 minutes. What if there's a traffic jam at Old Fisherman's Wharf.<BR><BR>Seriously, thanks for catching that.<BR><BR>Ron

Joyce Jul 4th, 2002 06:08 AM

Thanks for responding. I did get the rate through priceline 50.oo. First time I used it so I was a little afraid of what I may have booked. We do plan on the aquarium. I heard it must not be missed. Thanks for the breakfast tip. First Awakenings sound good. Traveling with 2 kids, I hope the java is STRONG!!<BR><BR>House is the beach at Monterey? We are also driving to Big Sur. Only have a few days. Any must see's? How is big basin for redwoods? Muir Woods sounds crowded but we will be in San Francisco for 5 days. Thanks for all your help.

Betsy Jul 4th, 2002 07:08 AM

Joyce, the Hyatt has a beautiful pool and jacuzzi, so bring your suits!

Bob Jul 5th, 2002 09:14 AM

FIRST AWAKENINGS in the mall across from the Aquarium is a great spot for breakfast as two people have noted. One cavet: It is popular and many times has a waiting line outside. Get there a little earlier than you expect to eat as you will probably have to wait. They have a free coffee service while you wait, but kids may be a little bred if you have to wait too long.

Bob Jul 5th, 2002 09:15 AM

Opps! I meant BORED, not BRED above.

CaGal Jul 5th, 2002 01:41 PM

Bob, I think their kids were already bred! :-)