AMTRAK Starlight train

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 09:45 AM
Lila

AMTRAK Starlight train

Has anyone taken the Amtrak starlight train between SF and LA recently? Did you like it?
Any suggestions?

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 10:02 AM
Faina

I took it LA-SF in January. Left LA 2 hours late (mechanical problem) arriving in SF at midnight. I wonder where did all conductors disappear and nobody knew what station it was. The connecting bus driver dropped us off at hotel, don't remember which one, but with a line of taxis so no problem getting home.

The scenery was boring till after Santa Barbara, then it became exceptional, especially around San Louis Obispo.

Yes, I liked it, nice experience to remember. No, I don't have any suggestions not knowing anything about you.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 11:43 AM
Patty

We've taken the Coast Starlight from LA to Oakland in standard accomodations. To make a long story short, we had a nice experience (good food, wine tasting, great scenery) until our train hit a car and lost all power for the next 8 hours. After that point, most of the staff disappeared and no one would tell us where we were or call us a cab. If you'd like more details, you can do a search under Coast Starlight for my original post. We decided to try it again going just to Santa Barbara and ran into delays both ways.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 12:55 PM
Sara

Took Coast Starlight from Albany Oregon (south of Portland) to Oxnard CA. Loved the whole thing. We were several hours behind (at one point 5 hours). We had first class so we had a private bath. The beds are very cozy. It was fun to watch the scenery. One thing I love about the train is you see different things than you would from a car. You go through people's backyards - some good, some not so good. Meals were served and you sat with strangers. It was fun to meet them but it wasn't very clear that they filled all the spaces and I saw people be embarrased when they were told to sit down when all the tables were full. They figured they needed to sit with someone else but I felt badly that they didn't know. Hoping to take the trip again. I would recommend it as a trip in itself - do not use it if you need to be somewhere on time!!

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 01:20 PM
kam

Took the Coast Starlight from LA to San Jose about 3 years ago. Got off and overnighted in SLO and rented car to drive over to Cambria for a day. THen returned to train in SLO. First trail was like a trip back in time---wonderful conductors, cheerful, helpful staff, great lunch in the dining car, met some nice British people. The second train from SLO to San Jose was indifferent service, no smiles, dining car too crowded so we had hot dogs instead, lots of kids, lots of noise. No delays on either train. So, I agree with the above. If you like to travel by train and don't have to be anywhere on schedule, give it a try. Particularly recommend the chicken pot pie---comfort food!

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 08:22 PM
mt-x

I usually take the Coast Starlight from LA to San Luis Obispo. I find the ride quite comfortable and enjoyed the view. The last trip I took up to SLO was in March. I got to the train station late so I didn't get a window seat but I did sit in the view car? (sorry, don't know the proper name)for a while and that was enjoyable.
I think you will enjoy the ride.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 08:49 PM
Kathy

Please don't hollar at ME for asking a question since my husband is a smoker. Can you smoke in the dining car or is the train absolutely ALL non-smoking?? Thanks! kathy

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 08:51 PM
Prue

We took the Coast Starlight last year from SF to Seattle and thoroughly enjoyed the trip - it ran almost to time - we travelled First Class and had a private sleeping compartment - which was fun and quite an experience. Enjoyed the chance to meet other passengers at meals and other times.
We would certainly do it again if the opportunity arose.

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 06:04 AM
Shannon

Kathy,
The entire train is non-smoking. There are, however, plenty of stops along the way, and the smokers get off the train, have a smoke, then get back on the train. A client of mine, who smokes, took this train from L.A. to Portland, and told me afterwards that it was fine, and she met a lot of the conductors on the platform.

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 01:16 PM
Lila

I was just wondering.... all the replies have been from people going north.
Has anyone traveled south?
Did the train appear crowded?
Hows the food?

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 03:14 PM
Shannon

Lila,
Actually, Sara's response was that she headed south. We have taken this train south twice and enjoyed it very much. Yes, in the summer months, it is quite busy. We were delayed on one occasion, and not on the second. We thought the food was good. We particularly enjoyed the late afternoon sittings in the dome section, where they served excellent wines, cheese and fruit, but that came with booking a compartment, so I don't know if it comes with the day trip. You might want to ask about that.

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 01:42 PM
Sara

Lila, you are right - I did go south and north, we did a round trip. Had a different crew going north, I think I enjoyed the southern crew best but can't put my finger on why.

The food was actually pretty good for a train - better than I expected. Try to be open minded and not too picky. You can also bring stuff with you - pack a cooler for a day trip. There is a dining car that serves sit-down type meals and then a food stand car for hot dogs, chips, hamburgers, candy etc. Also enjoyed the wine tasting and cheeses, though I think it was just for first and second class.