Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Hyatt Maui or Hyatt Kauai? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/hyatt-maui-or-hyatt-kauai-842150/)

MaxnZack May 27th, 2010 05:35 PM

Hyatt Maui or Hyatt Kauai?

Hi all - my husband and I are planning a getaway next March. We have Hyatt points and would love to stay at the Maui or Kaui property. We've been to Kauai and loved it, haven't been to Maui yet. We love the outdoors, swimming, beach and great hikes. Also accessble dining, etc to keep it simple. We're looking for a bit of luxury -- happy to have a combination of relaxation and adventure.

Can anyone provide insight comparing the two? Which is most special to you, and why?

Many thanks!!

ksucat May 27th, 2010 07:10 PM

Stayed at both and just got back in Sept. from the Grand Hyatt Kauai and had a great stay..loved the resort!
Maui Hyatt has better ocean swimming and dining.
Did you stay at the Hyatt Kauai?
Since you haven't been to Maui, I would sway that direction.
Each island has its own vibe.
Kauai, imo, truly has the aloha spirit.

dbdurand May 27th, 2010 07:44 PM

You're not going to get anything definitive, and I suspect you know it. Here's an article that extols Maui.

http://www.globosapiens.net/travel-i...olulu-313.html

montereybob May 27th, 2010 08:15 PM

The Hyatt Maui is a gorgeous property. If you haven't been to Maui yet, I would definitely go there. There is so much to see and do on Maui. I love Kauai but I love Maui also. They are both not to be missed destinations.

wbpiii May 27th, 2010 08:39 PM

I love kauai and the Kauai Grand Hyatt is special. It's a beautiful resort. I think Kauai is a better "outdoor" island but each island has it's own charm. If you have already been to Kauai, maybe Maui is the right island this time.

ncounty May 27th, 2010 10:24 PM

I love the Kauai Hyatt and Kauai feels like home to me. I haven't been to Maui so i can't comment on the other property.

Last time I was at the Hyatt Kauai, Harrison Ford and Calista were there and I got them to take a picture of me on the beach....and I heard Ozzy Osborne was there also.

MBnancy May 28th, 2010 03:07 AM

I've been to both Hyatt's many times. The Kauai Grand Hyatt is the best. Beautiful grounds, pools and a lagoon to swim in.

They are remodeling each wing now, so by next March you will have gorgeous new rooms and bathrooms to stay in.

FrankS May 28th, 2010 05:10 AM

KGH is what I call 'special' whereas Maui is more 'fun.' Look into the two islands and decide which you want to see , then decide

Placename May 28th, 2010 11:23 AM

The Maui Hyatt is much older than the Kauai Hyatt.

The beach is swimmable at the MH, not so the KH. The beach available by an easy walk is far bigger at the MH. You can easily walk to the Whaler's Shopping center for shopping and food, and easily walk to other hotels on the walkway along Kaanapali Beach. Not quite the same at KH.

The KH has a huge pool complex which to me was more fun than the MH pool complex.

The KH also has a terrific (if pricey) spa.

I'd chose the KH if swimming in the ocean in front of the hotel was not a huge priority.

However, I have heard that one wing of the KH is being remodeled this year, so that room availability is limited. I don't know how that would affect March 2011 availability.

MaxnZack May 28th, 2010 03:19 PM

Thanks everyone, really appreciate your feedback!

Last year we stayed up in Princeville -- spent everyday out exploring. Only thing I would have changed is finding more time to sit back and luxuriate in it all! Sounds like we can't go wrong.

I like that Hyatt Maui is on the beach, and has restaurants within walking distance...I am looking for that extra luxury -- does Hyatt Maui have "it"? I travel so much for work, I don't want to feel like I'm in that setting!

montereybob May 28th, 2010 04:55 PM

Hyatt Maui definitely has "it" -- very luxurious. You will feel the farthest away from work that you could possibly imagine. You will feel like you are in a tropical paradise. You won't want to leave.
Have fun!

CaliNurse May 29th, 2010 03:28 AM

Hyatt Maui is in Kaanapali, a planned resort area. It's along a beach and in an area with many other hotels and condos, shops and restaurants.
Kauai Hyatt is more "stand alone" which means it isnt as convenienlt to walk everywhere(i.e no walking distance convenience stores like Whalers or ABC) . For me, that makes it MORE attractive and special and unique. If staying at Hyatt Kauai, and you want to be at a swimmable beach, or a town, just hope in your car and in 5 minutes, you'll be there.

crefloors May 29th, 2010 08:28 AM

I love the Maui Hyatt and have stayed there several times. I love having breakfast in the Swan Court. Do get a room on the ocean side. My girlfriend and I once got a room facing at the front of the hotel, the side where you drive up and check in, and it wasn't so hot. If we had been staying longer I would have complained, but we were only there for three nights, and weren't in the room very often, so it wasn't worth the hassle.

Placename May 29th, 2010 11:11 AM

For extra luxury, I like staying in at Club Level room with access to the Lounge. On both the MH and the KH, the food at the Club Level was plentiful, creative, and had great variety. However, a year ago I stayed at the Waikiki Hyatt and the Club Level lounge was awful. Very very limited selection of food. They often ran out and did not replenish. If you really wanted luxury, I would check on the Club Level rooms, but really interrogate them about the menu and selection. If it has changed, I would not pay the extra. The Waikiki Hyatt was so bad I complained to the corporate headquarters.

MaxnZack May 29th, 2010 05:09 PM

Thanks everyone! Much as we loved Kaui, I think we'll take your advise and try Maui! Costco travel is offering amazing packages at the Hyatt in both locations, hope they renew it next year :-)

Love the club level suggestion, wonder if they'd let me use points to upgrade?

Thanks again, really appreciate your thoughtful replies!

Placename May 29th, 2010 06:13 PM

If you decide to spring for the Club Level, call the hotel directly and speak to the Club Level concierge. Ask them about their food selections. After staying at the Ritz-Carlton Club Level, the Waikiki Hyatt was really poor.

I wouldn't spend the extra money or points if they have cut back their food offerings. The free booze is nice, but it takes a lot to drink up the difference in cost.