Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Kauai or Hapuna Beach Prince Big Island?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 07:26 PM
tim

Hello, I'm planning my 2 week honeymoon and am definitely going to spend one week at the 4 Seasons on Maui. I'd like to spend the other week on either Kauai or the Big Island, but I'm not sure which one would suit me better. The 4 Seasons Big Island and Kona Village are simply too expensive, so I've ruled it out. I've also ruled out Manele Bay because Lanai seems too slow for us. We like to be able to enjoy varied dining options and look forward to making journeys around the islands. Kayaking up rivers in Kauai seems right up our alley.

I've narrowed my search down to two properties, each has its own advantages and disadvantages. The Hyatt Regency Kauai or the Hapuna Beach Prince hotel on the Big Island. Both hotels are roughly similar cost, although Hapuna has a "spa" package that adds approximately $100 to the daily price which includes two massages per day.
(This is appealing to us as newlyweds who are looking to be pampered, but if Hayatt is nicer we'd obviously look forward to using their spa, just not as much)

Getting back to my question: Which is the nicer resort? Which did you like best?

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 08:00 PM
Brad

The Hyatt is a nicer resort and the island is more beautiful.
The weather down in Poipu is pretty nice and there's lots to see on the island (up north).
Big Island is definitely worth a trip, lots to see and do, but between the two scenarios, I'd definitely choose the Hyatt (we stayed there on our honeymoon, too, so I'm biased, I'll admit).

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 04:49 AM
Anthony

There is no comparison; Hyatt Kauai for sure. The Hyatt Kauai is considered one of the top resorts in the WORLD; I've stayed there the 2 times I've been to Hi. The spa at the Hyatt is wonderful, check out the my review and others at
www.epinions.com

Kauai is a beautiful island, with extremely varied scenery between the north and south shores. 1 wk in Maui & 1 wk in Kauai is the perfect honeymoon!

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 08:17 AM
kal

Tim, Another thumbs up for Hyatt Kauai.
Especially for a honeymoon and a special rate!

Even tho you're down in Poipu, you're not more than half an hour from kayaking the Wailua or up to the Menehune Fish Pond. A little bit longer ride to do the Hanalei 'yak. But well worth the drive. Ab-beatiful.

Anthony:
Don't you know that when you take away the scenery in Kauai, it's just like driving in Vermont or the Poconos? (See Kauai v. St John post). Ya gotta luv it.
Mahalo,
Kal
32 !

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 09:20 AM
Mary

Tim,
I'd take another look at Kona Village. We debated over Kona Village vs. what was then the Hyatt Waikoloa, now the Hilton Waikoloa. We chose the Hyatt in great part because we had 50% off coupons from United that we could use there. We booked a deluxe oceanfront room there (and being a huge resort our room, while technically oceanfront was a long way from the ocean- have had the same experience at the Hyatt in Poipu.) Anyway, the irony was, that by the time we paid for meals, even with a room at 50% off, we paid more than we would have paid for a far more romantic stay at Kona Village. The lagoon hales at Kona Village are beautiful, there are honeymoon packages available there that bring the rates down slightly and the food is included in the rates. It is also just a wonderful and romantic spot for a honeymoon. Eating out in Hawaii is expensive. Play with some numbers. You might find Kona Village a viable option and a wonderful place to start married life together.

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 03:16 PM
billyz

I'd recommend the Hyatt! You'll love it.

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 03:23 PM
YS

In general, Kauai is more romantic island compared to Hawaii, which is a little more adventerous.
Go for Hyatt!