Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Hyatt is beautiful but how bad is swimming?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2001, 03:18 AM
Susan

I have heard wonderful things about the Hyatt on this review board but i am worried about how everyone keeps talking about this hotel not having a very swimmable beach. We are real beach people- would we be better off at a different hotel? how far is a swimmable beach from the Hyatt? (is it walkable?) I really appreciate your help!

Old Jun 16th, 2001, 03:54 AM
Olive Oyl

Susan...you are talking about Maui? If so, they do have a very swimmable beach--pretty strong wave action some of the days we were there, but very swimmable. Unfortunately, that is the only beach in the Kaanapali area I saw, so can't compare to others. If there was a negative my guess is that it's because the actual beach isn't that wide, tho it was wide enough for beach volley ball and some other spirited activities for our group. "Our group", in this case, means a Hyatt General Managers meeting. My husband is one...my disclaimer, but that's my honest assessment of their beach... and we are real beach people too. They have a gorgeous pool...but I've never quite understood the mentality of sitting by a pool when we're at the ocean. Can you relate? gt;

If you were referring to another of their hotels, (Key West?) my apologies for butting in with the above.

Old Jun 16th, 2001, 05:30 AM
steve

Uhhhh...what Hyatt? You mean the one in Texas?

Old Jun 16th, 2001, 05:57 AM
Susan

Opps!!!
Sorry meant the Hyatt in Kauai!!!

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 10:01 AM
Patrice

If you are traveling in August I would head up to the North Shore. People complain about rain during winter and spring months. I have always been in August and have had a wonderful time. I go every year. I like visiting the Hyatt but the area is not very attractive outside of the hotel, too much construction not a lot of wide open space and not very green. It is closer to the canyon and Kokee park which are a must for any traveler.

....about the ocean it appears to be influenced by the season if it is similar at all. North Shore is treacherous in winter a lamb in summer. You also want to find out if it is rocky. On some beaches you will want some kind of footwear to avoid little shards of rock scratching your feet. I feel stuck on that end of the island the North Shore is just far more exquisite if that is a way to define a beach. It’s Shangri-La.

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 01:02 PM
Amy

We were at the Hyatt last summer and while the resort is wonderful I would not recommend the beach. I have done many open water swims (Atlantic Ocean and Pacific - Alcatraz swim) and I thought it was pretty rough. It was almost exclusively surfers which were fun to watch but it was exhausting for a swimmer to try to keep up with the waves. There are a few calmer beaches within a few minute car ride that are much calmer.