Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Hyatt hotel times square or Marriot marquis hotel times square in NYC. (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/hyatt-hotel-times-square-or-marriot-marquis-hotel-times-square-in-nyc-1004105/)

mikety Jan 27th, 2014 02:54 AM

Hyatt hotel times square or Marriot marquis hotel times square in NYC.

Help needed in selecting hotel, in New york....which is better option? Location, service, rooms ....thanks in advance!

NeoPatrick Jan 27th, 2014 03:45 AM

Well the Hyatt Times Square is brand new, therefore more delux rooms, rainshowers, better tv's etc. and it has the highest lounge in the city eith a major view. And I'd assume the elevators won't be such a pain. Location is pretty much the same, except Hyatt is slightly more out of the congestion.

mikety Jan 27th, 2014 05:15 AM

Thank you NeoPatrick! Will keep that in mind, i have until march to decide!

NeoPatrick Jan 27th, 2014 05:54 AM

I had actually booked the new Hyatt for this past Saturday night, but cancelled as we decided to return home that night -- just making the day in NYC a day, and not an overnight. So, sorry I can't give you a more definitive description. I did see one review from a poster here that was very positive about the new Hyatt.

china_cat Jan 27th, 2014 06:17 AM

I've never stayed at the Marriott Marquis, but we stayed at the Hyatt Times Square in January. The location is pretty much a wash, as they are so close to each other. The Hyatt is a half block from the square, so maybe not quite as much of a zoo in the lobby or right outside the front door.

When we were there the new sky lounge was not open yet. They said it should be open in February.

Our room was great. Bed was very comfy. the rainshower is nice, and I really prefer walk-in showers, with glass doors, to bathtubs with curtains which attack you :) Everything was new, and clean, which was so nice.

We ate breakfast at the attached diner and enjoyed it. It was expensive, but seemed okay when the 30% hotel discount was applied.

I think the only think I didn't care for (and this is a really minor nitpick) is that the lobby area is really stark, white, with strange blue-tinged lighting. It's cold. But that would never stop me from staying there.

Staff was incredibly friendly and efficient. You could tell they were all freshly trained, smiling and helpful.

As you can tell from my review, I thought it was a terrific hotel and I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. We got a good price in January ( if I recall, it was about $230/night). I bet I never see that price again though :(

china_cat Jan 27th, 2014 06:18 AM

i just read Patrick's last line...I bet it was me he was talking about. I did review the hotel in my NYC trip report. But now I've repeated myself here in more detail. Hope it helps!

NeoPatrick Jan 27th, 2014 06:19 AM

ChinaCat, one of the main reasons I had booked the Hyatt Times Square for this past Saturday night was that they had a rate of $179 (AAA or Senior)! But like you say, I doubt I'll ever see a rate like THAT again either.

wtm003 Jan 27th, 2014 06:51 AM

<<And I'd assume the elevators won't be such a pain.>>

Exactly why I wouldn't book the Marriott Marquis again - unless of course the rate was so fantastic that I could overlook the elevator issues.