Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Hyatt- Convention Center Miami, no car....food?

Old May 2nd, 2007, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning a trip for a week- US Fencing Nationals with 17 yr old daughter. Last time I was there, I remember a food strip down near the Pier, but it was considered unsafe to walk there. Anyone have any restaurant suggestions for places near the Convention Center? We need to book a pretty big party for one night for about 16 people as well.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 07:30 AM

Do you mean the James L. Knight Center in downtown? If yes, there are several places on Brickell not far from there that might work. There is a Gordon Biersch, a PF Changs, and a variety of very nice restaurants both in some of the buildings on Brickell and in Mary Brickell Village. http://www.marybrickellvillage.com/

Downtown proper there isn't much besides Bayside which does have some chain restaurants. Actually, the Miami Arena right next to Bayside has a Cuban restaurant - Bongo's Cuban Cafe - that can accommodate a big group. It's often a fun place, big, with music, and reasonably priced food.

If it is another convention center (maybe the Miami Beach Convention Center?) then different suggestions would apply. Have fun and enjoy!
Old May 2nd, 2007, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Sorry....I meant the James Knight Center. I'm definitely not going to Miami and eat at a chain restaurant, lol! I heard about Bongo's....Gloria Estefan's Place...but my goodness, it gets terrible reviews.People waiting 20 min to order drinks, etc. However, it might be a fun choice for the group. Thanks for the Brickell link!
Old May 2nd, 2007, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

I might add....not all "chains" are bad. After looking at The Grape, Oceanaire, etc I am impressed! Not a Chang's fan, however.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 08:12 AM

the problem with downtown and such a big group (any group actually) is that there isn't that much variety in downtown proper. Here's a list of places
http://miami.diningguide.com/dl1dt.htm
Most, if not all, are going to require a cab ride. North of downtown, different areas are beginning to be up and coming, with interesting places, but they aren't necessarily what you would look for with a group of 17 year olds.

I'm trying to figure out what could be more unique to Miami that would interest that age group. If you are going to take a cab ride, then maybe South Beach, with a place on Lincoln Road. This would also let you walk around afterwards and enjoy the atmosphere. I'll let others with more recent knowledge of South Beach fill you in on places there.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

The group will be parents and a few teens as well as some early 20's. I don't have a car, but some of them will. I'm not against taking cabs, that would be safer than walking. We have 2 days in between where she won't fence- I think we'll use that day to do South Beach. She wants to go to Disneyworld but there's NO WAY JOSE! Thanks amcc for your help!