Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Hyannis or Woods Hole? Transit to Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2005, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From Cape Cod, which we have never visited before, which departure point is better for making excursions to Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket? My reading of Fodor's and Orbitz guides doesn't clarify the issue for me. We're staying in Falmouth, so Woods Hole seems to be better. However, if faster ferry service is available in Hyannis, that might be better. We'll be in Cape Cod the entire first week of June. I would appreciate any tips on getting the best use out of the ferry service to MV and Nantucket. Thanks!
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 05:22 PM

Ok! This is like one of those logic tests. I hope I get it right, Hold on Here we go.

You are in Falmouth.
Falmouth & WH are close to MV.
Hyannis is closer to Nantucket than Falmouth, WH.
Harwich is closest to Nantucket.
Hyannis has Fast Ferries.
You can only take your car from WH.

Ok? Here are some options:
Falmouth to MV via Island Queen.
WH to MV via Steamship Authority.

Hyannis to MV via HY-Line.
Hyannis to MV via Steamship Authority.
Hyannis to Nantucket via SA.

Harwich to Nantucket via Freedom Line.

Whew! Where's the Tylenol.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Wow! What a complete reply! I'm printing your reply to take with us so that we can make an *informed* choice when we visit Cape Cod. If you had to choose between MV and Nantucket for a short trip, which would you choose? We're thinking about doing a 2-day, 1-night excursion to *one* of the two. I'd rather take time to enjoy one place than to rush to try to work in both. What do you think?
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 06:07 PM

I have seen your other posts so I know you are trying to pack a lot into a one week Cape Cod vacation including a trip to Boston for a Red Sox game and a day in Provincetown for a WW trip and dune tour.

For this reason I would go to Martha's Vineyard, a much shorter trip, and save Nantucket for another time.

That will allow you more time to explore other towns and attractions on the Cape including the Falmouth area where you are staying.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 06:44 PM

This is from the MV website: ferry times.
From Woods Hole: 45 minutes
From Falmouth: 40 minutes
From Hyannis: 1 hour and 45 minutes

To ACK, from Hyannis the regular boat is 2:15, but there's a high speed ferry that takes about an hour. If you take that, it's not much longer than MV.

I've been to both islands many times. Each has its advocates. MV is much bigger and had 3 different towns. In addition, if you go there, take the bus to Aquinnah (formerly Gay Head). Nice trip and beautiful beach. Since it's so spread out, you'll want to see everything in 2 days, but that's no problem because the free bus goes everywhere.

ACK is smaller, and, in my opinion, more quaint. Easier to get around because there's the main town and another area called Sconset (actually Siasconset). Great restaurants and bars. You didn't say what you're looking for but there's more to do at night in ACK. Both islands close up at around 11:00.

You can't go wrong with either - I love them both. I personally prefer ACK - in fact I may go there this summer.

MV is closer and there's another consideration if you want to go to the beaches (which you should). They don't call ACK the Gray Lady for nothing. Frequent foggy conditions. Better chance of good weather in MV because it's closer to land.

I assume you checked their web sites, where you'll get a lot of information. No matter where you go, take lots of money. They're both islands and have you captive.

Hope this doesn't confuse you too much. You can't go wrong with either.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, y'all (just can't resist throwing a little Southernism in!). We Memphians are very much looking forward to visiting and learning about Cape Cod. I do try to pack a lot into a trip, so I'll heed your wise advice to slow down and relax.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 08:08 PM

Love them both! Either is a wonderful adventure. Since you're already in Falmouth, keep it simple and check out MV. I suggest staying in Edgartown for one night. Rent bikes or scooters if you're inclined. Take the ferry to Chappy, and explore. Last year I finally rented a house for a week to get the Vineyard, and what I got was that I love Chappy most of all, secluded beautiful beaches, with good food and shopping in Edgartown. A visit arriving or leaving OaksBluff is in order, the gingerbread houses and campsite should not be missed. That said, you might prefer a whirlwind island tour. I would then recommend stopping at Chilmark Chocolates, a special need program chocolate factory where every single bite is made with love. From there Gay Head, and of course most excellent clams and oysters in two joints in Menemsha, a tiny fishing village. Good luck with your plans!
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 01:18 PM

Adding another info request to this thread, specifically on bicycles and traveling to MV and/or Nantucket. We - Mom, Dad, 2 kids 17 and 11 - will be staying in West Yarmouth the second week of July. We plan to take our bicycles with us on the ferry for a day trip. We would like to bike and go to beaches while there, sight-see, get a bite to eat. Only plan to window-shop. There are some options:
1)Ferry to only MV OR Nantucket.
2)"Combo ticket" - Ferry to first Nantucket, then ferry to MV, then ferry back to Hyannis - would have about 4 hours on each island for quick tour.
3)High-speed ferry is more expensive, but we would have more time to bike around islands.
4) There is a charge for bringing our bikes on the ferry too, but it is only $5 to $15 depending on which ferry and your ticket. Less than rental fees!

From reading posts here, I am leaning toward ferry from Hyannis to only MV, spend day biking around there, go to a beach, get some lunch or ice cream, back to Hyannis. Has anyone done the combo tour? Anyone brought your own bikes on the ferry? Any further information would be welcome! Thanks everyone for all your advice!
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 04:56 PM

Topping - Need some help from Cape Cod experts! Anyone?
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 09:15 PM

Topping again - we leave this weekend!
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 10:02 PM

I personally would not combine the Martha's Vineyard trip with the Nantucket trip. I would go to both but spend much more time in Martha's Vineyard. It is larger and has more to see as far as I am concerned. I would recommend staying on MV overnight and maybe even a 2nd night and I also recommend going there from Woods Hole. I would go to Nantucket from Hyannis and would spend the day. It is fun and has shops and restaurants but not as much to go all over the island. Have fun whatever you decide to do.