Hwy 395 Yosemite to Reno

Jun 24th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

Hwy 395 Yosemite to Reno

I'm looking at options for a driving trip and part of that trip might include Hwy 395 from Yosemite to Reno. How is this Hwy in the middle of May (snow, ice, etc)? This would be a short cut from Yosemite to Reno by-passing having to go to Modesto and pick up the interstates.
Thanks
Jun 24th, 2007, 06:00 PM

You may have a problem getting from Yosemite to Hwy 395 in the middle of May. The pass across Yosemite does not open until the snow clears and that, in many years, does not happen until sometime in June.

Another shoprtcut from Yosemite that may be more practical for you is to go west to Cal Hwy-49, north to US50, and then across to Tahoe and into Reno. Those are all year-round highways and the chance of being delayed by snow in mid-May is fairly low.
Jun 24th, 2007, 06:44 PM

Though the lack of snow this year meant an early open for Tioga Pass Road it is not typical for the road to open in May. The road from 120 to Reno is pretty nice. Much of it will be 2 lane. As you come through Lee Vining you will go past Mono Lake on your right and then up a steeeeeeep and a bit curvy grade. After that you will be on a nice road but mostly 2 lane, pass the turn off for Bodie and then into Bridgeport. After that you will be on a two lane road right next to the Walker River. You'll hit some very small towns and then Lake Topaz, then Gardnerville then Carson City and then Reno. We have had terrible traffic in Carson City every time we have driven through.

If Tioga Road is not open you don't have to go to Modesto. Just take 120 to 49 to 88 to 89 into south lake tahoe. You can drive around the lake and then take 50 to Carson City and then 395 to Reno or go to Incline Village and take Mt Rose Highway to Reno. It's highly unlikely that 88 or 89 would be closed.
Jun 25th, 2007, 11:06 AM

If Hwy 120 over Tioga is closed, the quickest route to Reno is to take 120 west to Hwy 99 or I-5 and then going north to I-80 in Sacramento and then over to Reno.

Of course, the more scenic routes are Hwy 88 and Hwy 50. Hwy 4 and 108 are usually opened about the same tame as Tioga Pass.
Jun 25th, 2007, 11:28 AM

That route supercilious gave is at least 30 minutes longer than going 120 49 to 88 to 395 to Reno. But think about the traffic possiblities going through Stockton and Sacramento that would extend the time even more. That route is 6 hours minimum. The other is just under 5.5. The mountain route is also much prettier. The freeway route has not scenic qualities at all.
Jun 25th, 2007, 01:13 PM

driving through Stockton, Sacramento and Roseville would probably add a lot more than 30 minutes to the drive time. Except for about 2 or 3 hours in the middle of the day, or late at night, the Sacramento/Roseville/Auburn corridor is really congested. IMHO, Suzie's route makes much more sense.

There will probably be bad traffic in Carson City - but probably much worse traffic in sacramento/Roseville.
Jun 25th, 2007, 01:49 PM

"
There will probably be bad traffic in Carson City - but probably much worse traffic in Sacramento/Roseville

Agree The Sacramento "Rush Hour" traffic is getting to rival the Bay Area.

Jun 25th, 2007, 03:40 PM

This is an interesting discussion and I'm sure LBev is getting more than she bargained for.

I agree about avoiding Sac-Roseville during the afternoon and evening rush hour. However, I drive through there all the time in the morning and mid-day and always do the limit unless there is an accident.

I asked google's help and used Groveland because I couldn't get Yosemite to work.

From Groveland to Sac and Sac to Reno, they came up with 244 miles with a driving time of 4:34.

From Groveland to Jackson and Jackson to Reno, they came up with 197 miles and a driving time of 4:31. So, I too would now recommend this route since it's certainly prettier. It's also a lot windier with a greater chance of getting stuck behind slower moving vehicles.

For speed, I would probably take the Sac route since I tend to drive faster than 65 on the interstates and would probably shave off 20 or so minutes on that route. It's harder to do that on 49 and 88.

Incidentally, when I used Ask.com for a driving route from Jackson to Reno, they directed me up to Auburn on 49 and then 80 to Reno.

Let's all hope that Tioga Pass is open during LBev's visit.
Jun 25th, 2007, 06:11 PM

Hey super - use Curry village to get yosemite valley. I use that on Mapquest which I prefer to google for driving directions. Though I love Google sattelite and hybrid for checking things out.
Jun 25th, 2007, 07:35 PM
Original Poster

I really appreciate the excellent information. At this stage of the trip we will be looking for a few days off the interstates before heading back to Georgia. So I'll keep my fingers crossed that the Tioga Pass out the back door of yosemite is open, but if not a scenic drive along 120 to 49, to 385 sounds like a winner. How all we have to do is choose between two outstanding options after overnighting in Bakersfield. Go to Yosemite for 3 days or take a left out of Bakersfield and head to San Luis Obispo and Hwy 1 for three days in the monterey area. After visiting the Grand Canyon, the Big Sur and a walk along the beach may be gaining the edge with the DW. Thanks for the info.
Jun 25th, 2007, 09:21 PM

Whoa!! Overnighting in Bakersfield??

Is there some compeling reason you want to do this? Like a wedding, visiting friends or something else you can't get out of? If not, there is no reason (what-so-ever) to spend the night in B'field.
Jun 26th, 2007, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

There is an old Buck Owens country song where the country singer went west to make it big and ended up "walking the streets of Bakersfield". But no, I'm not looking for the location of broken dreams, just a place to lay my head after driving 9+ hours from the south rim of the Grand Canyon. I want rested eyes whth which to gaze upon the endless vistas of the California coast or the etheral beauty of the high Sierrra's. Suggestions for a better bed would be most welcome.
Jun 26th, 2007, 08:44 AM

If you are going to Yosemite from the Grand Canyon, you don't have to go through Bakersfield if Tioga Pass is open.

Just head north on 395 after Barstow. There are nice places to stay in Ridgecrest and in Bishop. This is a spectacular drive with vistas of Mt. Whitney and the Sierra crest. A much nicer and less hectic route than going through the Central Valley.

You can find out if Tioga is open before you leave the Grand Canyon. You don't need to make motel reservations along this route. There are plenty of options in the middle of May.

Of course, if you are going to the coast, you will want to take Hwy 58. There are nice motels in Mojave just before you head up the Tehachappi, so you don't have to stay in Bakersfield.