Search

Hutchinson Island vs. any other beach in Florida

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2008, 05:57 AM
SR
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hutchinson Island vs. any other beach in Florida

I am trying to plan a week vacation in May, and considering Hutchinson Island. My sister may go with me and my 19 year old son and possibly a couple of his buddies. Since I am paying for accomodations, the boys said they will go where ever I decide. I saw some very old posts that say that there is nothing to do on Hutchinson except enjoy the beach. I don't want the boys to be extremely bored. How is Hutchinson today? Are there more things for teenagers to do today? Do you recommend South Hutchinson or North? Saying all that, do you have any recommendations for any other beaches in Florida that would be great for all of us? I plan to rent a condo with a nice pool, great beach, water sports available, restaurants close by and preferably a place with activity around it (music, tiki bar for my sister and me, of course). Any suggestions are appreciated.
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 05:55 PM

I would recommend Siesta Key on the West Coast or Sanibel Island as there is a lot to offer in these areas. I have never heard of Hutchinson so I cannot compare them.
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 06:00 PM
wow

SR: I just saw your other post on "Teen Trip". I think the reason nobody replied is perhaps b/c not many Fodorites have been to HI. Have you already found your condo? If not, then try www.tug2.net or www.vrbo.com You cld also look @ Fort Lauderdale/Pompano/Delray Beach or Palm Beach for condos. Or, if you want to go to Florida's West Coast try Marco Island.

In terms of beautiful weather, May is a great time to be on Florida's East Coast. But, there is one problem w/ that time of year on the East Coast. I usually go to Fort Lauderdale or Palm Beach where sea lice are a problem b/t "Mother's Day & Father's Day" but it can be earlier or later. So, just be aware of that. I do not know if sea lice are a problem on HI. They will probably have signs posted or flags near any public beach area on HI but if you are on a "private" stretch of beach you may not know about this. Just google "sea lice" if you want more info. And, if you go to the West Caost be aware of Red Tide, Again Google for more info.
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 06:38 PM
SR
Original Poster

Thanks to both of you for replying. I have been to Siesta Key before, and just loved it, so it is definitely an option.

I have been researching vrbo.com for condos. There are just so many, I could research for months.

I don't know what Red Tide is, but I will research. Thanks for the heads up on sea lice. That doesn't sound good, but we don't want to go in July or August.
Old Jan 29th, 2008, 05:03 AM

Hutchinson Island is kind of quiet, but there is definatley plenty to do in the area if your willing to go off the island for a bit. I would stay on South Hutchinson rather than North because I think Stuart/Jensen Beach have more going on than Ft. Pierce/Vero Beach.

The Marriott Hutchinson Island has golf and tennis. I'm not sure what they have for water sports, but they probably have some rentals of some sort. They have condos and regular hotel rooms. The Lady Stuart, which is a popular charter fishing boat now departs from there. If you do stay in the area I would highly recommend checking them out if the boys were interested in fishing.

I wouldn't worry too much about sea lice. It really is hit or miss and even if it is around, it doesn't always affect everyone. I've been in groups of people and it's maybe bothered one or two people out of ten. (that's on Hutchinson Island, it may be more of a problem elsewhere)
Old Jan 29th, 2008, 05:04 AM

Hi, my family owns condos on North Hutchinson Island and it's definitely not an entertaining beach for teens. These are mostly condos, which in May will be sparsely populated (snowbirds are gone). The beach is great - wide, good sand, not crowded at all. There is very, very little on the actual island itself, and the nearest city, Fort Pierce, has some restaurants and an up and coming waterfront, but it's not really yet a great nightlife. We love, love, love the area, but when my teen and young adult cousins spend the weekend, they mostly stay in and play pool at night.

Further south, Lauderdale by the Sea is recommended on here, South Beach would fit the criteria, as would Fort Lauderdale and Hollywood. South Hutchinson is more populated than North.
Old Jan 29th, 2008, 08:31 AM
SR
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your responses, which have helped me decide against Hutchinson Island. I'm now leaning towards Siesta Key.

Can anyone tell me if there is a better area on Siesta to focus on when trying to choose a condo? I want the beautiful beach for myself but close enough to some activity for the boys. Also, has anyone stayed lately at the Jamaica Royale? Now that I have decided on Siesta, would I get more responses if I create a different post with that in the title?