Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Hurry...Need advise for upscale Newport accomodations (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/hurry-need-advise-for-upscale-newport-accomodations-617159/)

katiekate May 20th, 2006 09:24 PM

Hurry...Need advise for upscale Newport accomodations

You'll probably think I'm crazy, but I have just booked a flight for daughter (for her graduation present) and I for Newport end of May, but don't have hotel reserved yet!!! I have never been, but it has been on my wish list ever since I read an article on The Chanler at Cliffwalk. I only know about The Chanler, but would appreciate other suggestions along this same line. Since this is a special occasion, budget is not a big issue this trip. Also, if there is anything else you think 18 yr. old daughter might enjoy, please don't hesitate to mention. (She is planning to study studio art next yr. in college)

katiekate May 20th, 2006 09:28 PM

Oops, forgot to clarify this is Newport, Rhode Island.

katiekate May 21st, 2006 10:08 AM

Hoping someone will see this today and be able to offer recommendations.

HenryR May 21st, 2006 10:17 AM

I don't know much about Newport, but I stayed once at the Newport Harbor Hotel. It was very nice and is near all of the shops and restaurants.

katiekate May 21st, 2006 10:23 AM

Any comments on Castle Hill Inn?

nina May 21st, 2006 11:25 AM

Castle Hill in is Fantastic, we stayed in the Harbor Houses. It is in a beautiful setting on a hill overlooking the bay, just beautiful. They have adirondack chairs on the lawn where everyone has cocktails and watches the sun set. The Main Inn is a beautiful old estate that was just redone 2 years ago. Rates include an amazing breakfast and afternoon Tea.

They also have beach house rooms which have King beds and sofabeds, and are right on the beach with decks overlooking the waves. We looked at these but didn't stay in them, they're about $600-$800 a night!

I know they also just added some new beach cottages from some little shacks that they purchased and renovated near the "old" (they aren't that old, maybe 5 years?), beach cottages, they're set to open in May, I don't know if they're finished yet.

Just FYI, we've been able to call the day before and negotiate on rates if they have vacancies.

nina May 21st, 2006 11:27 AM

Katie, you can check availability online through Castle Hills website.

katiekate May 21st, 2006 01:51 PM

Just spoke to The Chanler and they have a ocean villa that sounds fantastic. I'm leaning that way...what do you think? Castle Hill didn't have the dates we needed.

milemarker0 May 21st, 2006 05:21 PM

If budget is not an issue, then you can't go wrong with the Chanler...slight walk to town, but doable, and it's a beautiful setting...

There really aren't any others "along the same line" except for Castle Hill...

Be sure to check out the Newport Art Museum...along with the usual Newport attractions....

katiekate May 21st, 2006 05:32 PM

Thank you everyone. Was good to hear your comments milemarker0; just what I needed to hear.
I'm curious though, would you consider the Chanler and Castle Hill to be in the same category?

milemarker0 May 21st, 2006 05:41 PM

Both in the same class...although the Chanler is smaler, and a little more about the accomodations (i.e. rooms) than Casstle Hill....Castle Hill has a better view/grounds (larger) IMO...but is more remote than the Chanler...but they are in the same class...high end.

cybor May 22nd, 2006 04:11 AM

The Chanler is much posher and more detail oriented (European hotel) than the Castle Inn in my opinion. It offers nice views as well as being at the entrance of the cliffwalk. Their resturant, btw, is one of the best around. The walk to Belluvue Ave. (shops, resturants and mansions) is only about 5mins. There's also a swimming beach next to the Chanler.
Although Castle Inn is nice and the views are spectacular you won't find the quality of the Chanler. I was a bit disappointed the last time we ate at the Castle - average food and less than average service. You will need to get in your car to go anywhere as it's a bit away from things.
Best of luck!

katiekate May 22nd, 2006 07:32 AM

I am so excited. Plans have been made and we have reserved one of the ocean villas. Neither my daughter or I have been to Newport, or Rhode Island for that matter.
Since it is our first time, do you think we will need a car? I really don't think I'm up for driving, unless you think we'll need one. I was thinking we could use taxi if it is not walking distance. We will have 3 full days in Newport. BTW, we are flying directly into PVD.
I so appreciate the quick responses to my urgent questions. I just love this site; everyone is always so helpful.

milemarker0 May 22nd, 2006 07:54 AM

Do you need a car...? No, but a car would definitely help from getting to/from PVD...they have a shuttle, but it gets expensive.

You could walk/do taxis from The Chanler to town etc....but a car would be nice to do the Ocean Drive/Ten Mile Drive....but perhaps you could do a tour.

I personally would like to have a car, but if you're "not up for it" Newport is definitely doable without one, if you're just planning on staying in town for the 3 days.

nina May 22nd, 2006 08:11 AM

Milemarker, I'm curious, you mentioned to go with the Chanler if money was no object...Just how much more expensive is it than Castle Hill?

nina May 22nd, 2006 08:14 AM

Katie,
Make sure you write a trip report, I'd be curious to hear how you liked the Chanler. I was considering both for my birthday but I thought from the photos that the Chanler was a little too ornate for my tastes. I love Castle Hill, definitely more my style and I'm actually hoping to get there this weekend.

I was also under the impression that Castle Hill was more expensive, but I guess not according to milemarker.

nina May 22nd, 2006 08:15 AM

Sorry, my previous posts about rates should have been directed to cybor not milemarker!

katiekate May 22nd, 2006 08:50 AM

If we decide to rent a car, how is the drive from PVD to Chanler? Is it difficult to find? Any conjested expressways or TALL bridges? I have a height phobia ;>) yikes!! On the other hand, I am an adventurous gal!

milemarker0 May 22nd, 2006 09:04 AM

From PVD to Newport is pretty straight forward....95 South to Route 4 South, to 138 East....about 30 - 35 minutes. Chanler is pretty easy to find in Newport, right on Memorial Blvd.

Bridges...??? Yup, 2 of them. The first,The Jamestown Bridge is the smallest, and the 2nd, The Newport Bridge is BIG...Largest suspension bridge in New England, and 63rd in the world...but beatiful views, all the way to Block Island (But it sounds like you wouldn't be up for sightseeing up that high....)

It is possible to get to Newport WITHOUT going on those 2 bridges, but you'd have to go the other way around the Bay, and would take 45mins - over an hour depending on traffic...

katiekate May 22nd, 2006 03:39 PM

Ha ha...fortunately I am only scared of bridges when I'm the driver...I can do all the sightseeing I want when I'm the passenger.
I made reservations at Spice Pear one night. A few other restaurants that have been recommended are: Bouchards, Brick Ally Pub, and Scales and Shells. The last two are more casual and have the local flavor from what I understand. Any comments? Also, I'm trying to think of some special things to do with my daughter; one thing I've thought of might be to take a bike or moped ride around the 10 mile drive taking along a picnic. What do you think? Please help me think of other things besides shopping (which we will definitely do, too)
Any spa recommendations?
Sorry, I'm about to wear you all out. But, please know you are so appreciated.