Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Huntsville Space Center (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/huntsville-space-center-79867/)

Judy Jul 18th, 2000 12:10 PM

Huntsville Space Center

We will be stopping in Huntsville on our way to Gulf Shores the first weekend in August. I would like to know what there is to do in Huntsville? I know that the space center is there and we intend on going there. I also have read that a place called Unclaimed Baggage Center is 40 min away in Scottsboro, has anyone ever been to this? Is there a strip of bars in town since the college is near by?

Kay Jul 19th, 2000 06:30 AM

I visited with a friend there last year. We did the Space Center tour--both the museum and the bus tour. It was interesting. We walked the small botanical gardens. We went to the historic village where people in period dress tell what life was like when Alabama became a state. Nice folks, pretty standard living history site. The museum nearby was strictly for very young children. There are a few historic homes. Concerts are offered in the downtown park some evenings. Somewhat nearby is a town that has lots of the outlet malls.

Gary Jul 19th, 2000 09:31 AM

<BR> <BR>Judy: <BR> <BR>I've been traveling on business to Huntsville for two years. It's a defense-business and NASA town. Consequently, it's a hotel/restaurant town. What I find unique about the place is the extraordinary number of residents in the 35-and-under set. So, yes, there are bars, but that fact has little to do with the university. The best clubs I found are in the old downtown area--around Clinton Ave. Try the Jazz Factory first--it has a pretty good restaurant downstairs and a huge bar upstairs. The bar is pretty lively, and a good blues combo plays on Wednesday nights. There are other clubs within walking distance of that. By the way, a surprising number of good bands play in town; Crossroads seems to attract the best ones. Crossroads also is near the old downtown. <BR> <BR>If you happen to be in town during the day and you're looking for something else to do, Monte Santo State Park is just up the hill from downtown. It has beautiful hiking trails. <BR> <BR>Sorry. I've never heard of "Unclaimed Baggage Center."

ann Aug 12th, 2001 07:06 PM

The Unclaimed Baggage Center has been featured in a lot of national shopping articles. I have heard the main one in Scottsboro can be really good if you hit it right.

jazzy Aug 13th, 2001 12:08 PM

I'm a resident of Huntsville, originally from Michigan. As mentioned in previous responses, The Space and Rocket Center is a great place to visit. Plan on setting aside a whole day to experience all it has to offer. Don't miss the Space shot. It's a blast!!!. Monte Sano Mountain is wonderful for site seeing. The outlet mall also mentioned before is located in Boaz, Alabama straight out HWY 431. It's about a 45 minute to an hour drive. <BR> <BR>Huntsville is growing at record speeds, so if there is something that just opened in town, plan on waiting in line to get in. <BR> <BR>It's not Michigan, but it has a lot to offer, and the people are very friendly.