Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2003, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Huntsville Alabama things to see

Need to find some great things to see here as will be here for a week. Thanks
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 10:40 AM

Ave Maria Grotto in Cullman. Ave Maria Grotto is a Benedictine Monastery where one of the brothers has re-created most of the major cathedrals, churches, abbeys etc in minature as well as a minature Jerusalem. Cullman is about 50 miles south of Huntsville on I65.

Ivy Green in Tuscumbia. Ivy Green is the childhood home of Helen Keller. Tuscumbia is about 60 miles west of Huntsville along US72. Also in this area is the Alabama Music Hall of Fame. Muscle Shoals is a sister city of Tuscumbia and has the Fame Recording Studios where Aretha Franklin recorded as a new artist. Florence is across the Tennessee River from Tuscumbia and has lots of river connected activities. There is also the only house in Alabama designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. The TVA has several dams in the area: Wilson, Wheeler, and Guntersville with their associated lakes with lots of water sports. In September, along US72 from Chattanooga to Waterloo, there is the "Trail of Tears Commemorative Ride" where thousands of motercyclist ride in a parade that is up to 10 miles long. Near Fort Payne, there is "Little River Canyon" which is the deepest canyon east of the Mississippi. Scottsboro has the lost luggage store. Also near Scottsboro is a cave/cavern that has one of the largest openings in the world. It's called Cathedral Caverns. Huntsville is only 2/3 hours from Nashville, TN. Huntsville itself is home to Space Camp and Redstone Arsenal and the George Marshall US Space and Rocket Museum. I'm sure there's more. If I think of them, I'll post again.
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 06:48 PM

--The US Space and Rocket Center
--90 minute bus tour through the Marshall Flight Center
--Walking tour of Twickenham and Old Topwn Historic Districts
--Constitution Village
--Weeden House Museum
--Burritt Museum & Park
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 05:44 AM

The Space & Rocket Center is definitely worth seeing.

Nashville, TN is less than 2 hours (straight up interstate 65)

You might like to drive to Gadsden, AL (approx 2 hours) to see Noccolulu Falls. The 90 foot waterfall is named after a Cherokee girl who jumped to her death rather than marry the man her father had chosen.
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 05:56 AM
esp

The Space and Rocket Center is always a great time. It's not only educational but there are also rides like a theme park. I believe they have also added on an IMAX theater. Huntsville also has great restaurants believe it or not. Venture out and eat!!!
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 07:13 AM

The city limits sign...in your rear view mirror.