Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Humid in September in Hawaii? What do you consider humid?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2000, 12:08 PM
Sweating

I am going to Hawaii in September and I hear everyone saying how humid it is at that time. Well, we're coming from Iowa where the summers are VERY humid so I was wondering, are we talking that kind of humidity or is it nothing like that...I guess I was wondering if there was any comparison...thanks..

Old Jun 14th, 2000, 12:17 PM
jim

Depends on where you go. The Resort areas are typically on the leeward side of the Islands and tend to be very dry, particularly compared to the midwest and south. Sure after a rain it will feel humid for a while but not for long.

I have most experience with Kona, which is very dry and the West Coast of Maui which is less dry than Kona, but plesant none the less.

I have been to Maui once in September, and I recall it was a nice visit. It seems that time it was quite windy, but I imagine that was not a seasonal phenomina.

Old Jun 14th, 2000, 03:20 PM
Lani

Sweating,

I've been on Maui and Oahu in September/October timeframe, and let me tell you, we're talking humid! On Maui, the first week of October one year, the tradewinds just stopped, and you could cut the humidity with a knife, it was 90 degrees in Wailea and Lahaina, and I have not been back that time of year since.

The only way I would is if I stayed on the North Shore, Napili/Kapalua, area of Maui where it's considerably cooler and breezier.

Old Jun 14th, 2000, 03:52 PM
Lani

Sorry, I had to cut the above post short - Papa John's was at the door! Just wanted to say that I'm very familiar with humidity/heat as I live in the sub-tropical belt of the Southeast! Now, I would never turn down a trip to Hawaii anytime, but Aug/Sep/Oct is not my first choice! If the trades keep blowing, you're okay, but if they don't, watch out!

Old Jun 18th, 2000, 07:39 PM
just to let you know

The temp on Maui Aug/Sep/Oct can run
up tothe high 90's with a humidity
reading of 90 to 99%
Does this give you a good idea of how
hot and humid it is here.
those of us that live here hate it,
we stay inside with the a/c on or in the
ocean.

Old Jun 18th, 2000, 11:29 PM
Helpful

If you are familiar

Old Jun 18th, 2000, 11:45 PM
Sweaty

Hawaii is no worse than Iowa.

Old Jun 22nd, 2000, 09:52 AM
Kellie

We were in Maui this past September, and it was pretty warm the whole time (85-95 degrees) and there was some humidity, but I didn't think it was bad at all. We live in Oklahoma and the summer days here can be absolutely miserable from the humidity. It was, however, extremely windy almost every day, especially in the afternoons. But I'm sure you will have a good time regardless!

Old Jun 23rd, 2000, 01:00 AM
VerySweaty

I live in Hawaii, and I can tell you that I dread every August & September. As soon as you step out the door, you are covered with sweat!
But don't worry. To offset this, Hawaii has a six-week festival called the Aloha Festivals, which is comprised of events, displays, and street parties that really give you the essence of Hawaii. Try go to www.gohawaii.com to figure out what you want to do!

Old Jun 23rd, 2000, 03:58 AM
Chloe

I was in Maui and Kauai last September. It was indeed warm and humid, but no worse than the heat and humidity of summer in NYC (where I live).

Old Jul 2nd, 2000, 02:42 PM
patty

Believe me, it's no worse that Florida! Can't stop living because of the weather. It's Mother Nature. Many people come to Florida during the summer and it is hot and humid but they deal with it. Sept. in Hawaii during the festival's is a great time to go.