Hugo's Cellar - Las Vegas/Opinions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2003, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is anyone familiar with the restaurant? It's been highly recommended to me by someone who was recently there. I'd love to hear any other experiences? Cost-ambience-food-service? Thanks!
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Thought I'd give this another try.......
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 11:45 AM

Since nobody has replied i'll jump in with a stale opinion (8 years ago?) and what i've heard about it recently.

It is "old style classic" LV steakhouse. It's in a basement (cellar) so it's somewhat dark, and i believe all women walking in are still given a complimentary red rose. They have a "salad bar at the table" where they bring varios salad items (lettuce, bacon bits, carrots, etc) and you make your own salad at the table. Obviously steaks are what they're known for, but other items are offered as well. They have a sommelier on staff, so i imagine the wine list has got to be decent.

Most people either love it or hate it. I think people that appreciate downtown for nostalgic reasons tend to like it more, while those that hate it are more of a modern mega-resort strip crowd.

My guess is that this used to be a GREAT place, even just 5 years ago, but with all the transformations that have gone on in Vegas and the restraunteurs that have come to town, this place has taken a back seat to other "upper tier" restaurants which probably offer a better value and experience for the money.
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input! I kinda miss this sort of restaurant - a breed that seems to have bitten the dust as 'trendy' has taken over. guess I'll google it and see what else comes up.
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 09:35 AM

Arjay,

Although it's been awhile, we were there 10 years ago, 8 years ago and five years ago. I don't know how it is today but it used to be a pretty wonderful place. Red brick, dark wood, linen tablecloths, tuxedoed waiters--a real dinosaur as far as restaurants go.

The food was classic continental (Duck L'Orange, Sole Meuniere, Rack of Lamb Provencal, etc.) with a few variations thrown in. Food, service and ambience were all first rate. Exceptional wine list.

Hope you can find info that's a little more recent.

Strive
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 01:38 PM

My wife and I went there last November, at the suggestion of the concierge at the Bellagio. Hugo's Cellar is a classic 60s and 70s steakhouse. Although service was reasonably attentive, the food was marginal at best. I would not recommend it unless you are looking for some nostalgia.