Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   How's the Manchester,New Hampshire Airport?..... (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/hows-the-manchester-new-hampshire-airport-311122/)

Debden Apr 27th, 2003 04:21 AM

How's the Manchester,New Hampshire Airport?.....

Hi,We have an upcoming trip to Chicago and cannot seem to find any deals out of Albany,NY. ($218 RT) We did find a deal on US Airways for $136 RT (includes taxes) out of Manchester,New Hampshire.Which is a 3 hour drive from where we live. I've never been to the New Hampshire Airport and wonder if it's easy to get in and out of? Is long-term parking convenient? We've flown out of Hartford,CT and Newark,NJ but this will be our first time to New Hampshire Airport.Thanks for any info.Debbie

SusanLynne Apr 27th, 2003 06:23 AM

Hi Debbie. Being that I live about 20 mins away from Manchester Airport, I think I might be able to help you out. The airport has become a favorite of not only NH residents, but those of Mass. north shore and southern Maine. It has changed dramatically over the past five years. It has a couple of fast food restaurants, a bar, couple of shops. The long-term parking is $8 a day, compare that to Logan's prices. There is a shuttle between the long term parking lots and the main terminal. It is very easy to get in and out of. Give it a shot. We will do anything to avoid Boston's Logan airport.

Aquila Apr 27th, 2003 06:33 AM

I live about 35 minutes away from Manchester Airport and try to fly out of there whenever it's feasible even though I live about the same distance from Logan Airport in Boston.

It's still a relatively small airport (although it's growing in leaps and bounds) and I find it easy to get in and out, especially compared to Logan.

The long term parking at MHT(Manchester's airport code)is abundant with regular shuttle buses.

One caveat, it's been a few months since I've been there, it's always possible some construction project might make access somewhat more difficult. But that wouldn't stop me from using MHT.

Here's the website:
http://www.flymanchester.com/home_frames.htm

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

gplimpton Apr 27th, 2003 08:00 AM

MHT is excellent.
Most parts are relatively new, it's small enough that getting in and out is a snap, and access to the highway is quick and easy (again, assuming no construction projects).

djkbooks Apr 27th, 2003 08:57 AM

We used MHT a few weeks ago and there were no construction projects at that time. Long term parking is cheap and the shuttles run very frequently. This is a smaller airport, so you don't have to walk for miles to a rest room, to the luggage pick-up, etc.

Debden Apr 27th, 2003 09:18 AM

Thanks Everyone for your replies! Such great info!! I feel much better about booking out of NH Airport.US Airways has
such a great price to Chicago it's worth the 3 hour drive!

John Apr 27th, 2003 10:02 AM

Count me in for this airport. I live in Montana but fly to New England a lot and use Manchester or Hartford,Ct.
I prefer Manchester. Go for it.

dfrostnh Apr 27th, 2003 04:12 PM

Considering the distance you have to drive, if you need to stay overnight before your flight, a friend said they stayed at the Highlander hotel which is very close to the terminal. The hotel provides a free shuttle. I do not see any parking charges listed on their website. I only fly a couple of times a year and think the parking lot signs are a little confusing. Make sure you choose the long term parking lot for the cheapest rate.

gail Apr 28th, 2003 04:14 AM

The only problem with smaller airports, including Manchester is that if you encounter flight cancellations, weather delays, etc you have fewer options for hopping on the next flight. For that reason we are hesitant to use it in winter or when we must be someplace at a certain time and can't leave early enough to allow for problems.

That said, it is far less annoying than Logan and for a non-winter trip, I recommend it. Just be careful that it does not cause you to make several connections which may be more irritating than they are worth.