Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

How would you spend 14 days in Hawaii (Kauai + Maui)?

Jun 30th, 2008, 12:06 PM
tkn
Original Poster

I posted the following messages recently, but they seem to be lost from the forum, so here they are again:

We are hoping to go to Hawaii for a 2 week honeymoon trip. The problem is, we'd like to leave in about a month (or less!) and are feeling overwhelmed by all the choices available to us. We've narrowed down our trip to Kauai and Maui, but are not sure how we should divide our time between the 2 islands, and which to visit first. Also, we're not sure where we should stay in Kauai... we've read that the north shore is absolutely gorgeous, but not so convenient for touring the whole island. We've read the east is not as nice, but because of its more central location, is better for exploring Kauai. This is our first time going to Hawaii, since we don't know if we'll ever have the chance to go back, we'd like to make the most of our 2 weeks there. We need to book everything as soon as possible... please help! Thank you!

Regarding what we're looking for in a honeymoon, our likes and dislikes... we'd like to get lots of R&R on our honeymoon, as we have very stressful jobs, live in a big city, and really need to "get away from it all" to recharge ourselves. We would like comfortable accommodations hotel/condo/villa(hopefully $250/night or less), but they don't have to be luxurious. Night life is not so important, if you are referring to dance clubs/bars. We're in our thirties, and not very "outdoorsy", adventurous types, but would like to explore the natural and exotic beauty of Hawaii with walks, hikes, snorkeling (by the way, my husband doesn't swim). We want to experience having our breath taken away by the sights and sounds of Hawaii. We would like to see stunning oceanviews, spectacular sunsets (hopefully from our lanai),a tropical rainforest, exotic flowers, birds, fish, sea turtles, waterfalls (stand under them, if possible), mountains, and volcanoes (lava flow, if possible... do we have to go to Big Island for this?). We love to eat, and are really looking forward to trying Hawaiian cuisine (everything from fast food to more gourmet stuff), and experiencing a luau. Thanks again for your help!

Jun 30th, 2008, 12:13 PM

Here's the link to your first post:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=35140727

To find your earlier posts, just click on your screen name. Sometimes things scroll off the first page in the forum pretty quickly.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding and honeymoon!

Lee Ann
Jun 30th, 2008, 12:54 PM
tkn
Original Poster

Thanks, Lee Ann! You saved me a lot of time searching. As you can see, I'm new to the site
Jul 1st, 2008, 05:46 AM

Consider this, eight days on Kauai, with four spent up north exploring hanelai and the napali coast, then four days on the south, at poipu and exploring waimea canyon. Then go to Maui for the remaining six days. Two islands but three condo/hotels saves time on the road.

We've split our kauai trips north/south and we loved it.
Jul 1st, 2008, 06:25 AM

We don't find staying on the north shore of Kauai inconvienent for touring the island at all. This is a generalization made by some posters here that seems to have become a fact. It is not.

Kauai is not that large a place and even though traffic issues in SOME areas slow things down a bit at SOME times, it is not that big a deal driving around the island. We consolidate visits to places and actually like getting out and seeing the island. A typical day away from Hanalei for us would be Waimea Canyon in the morning, Poipu in the middle of the day and ending the day in Lihue or Kapa'a for dinner before driving north again. Sometimes, after Waimea Canyon we just hang in Koloa/Poipu the rest of the day and have a great dinner there before heading back. One time we explored the Kalaheo area. In our two week stays we might do this twice or so and never find it to be a hardship, LOL. Hope this helps.
Jul 1st, 2008, 06:44 AM

If I were staying for two weeks and ventured out twice, I would agree with imaq, but our stays are shorter and we venture out more frequently. We love the split lodging, dining and exploring options of the north and south stays. Anyone who has spent an hour or more in Kapaa or Lihue traffic, wishing helplessly that they were poolside, may agree that it's no place to spend your vacation time.
Jul 1st, 2008, 07:05 AM

Keleka, We'd do the same thing if we were staying for a week.

Some of us view packing and unpacking, checking in and checking out twice in an 8 day period to be an inconvience and a poor way to spend our vacation time, so we'd never consider a split. Different strokes.

We've been to Kauai five times on vacation, have driven all over the island and have never sat in traffic anywhere on the island for an hour. Have we experienced bottlenecks that slowed us down? Sure, but nothing that made me wish that I were somewhere else. Maybe we've just been lucky, or have timed our trips around the peak traffic times. Who knows?

Anywho...I think a 7/7 split between Maui and Kauai would be a spectacular honeymoon. I would spend 7 on the north shore of Kauai either in a condo at Pali Ke Kua or a rental in Hanalei and 7 days in a rental home in Makena or a condo in Wailea on Maui.

Have a great time.
Jul 1st, 2008, 07:13 AM

imaq, i hear ya on the check in/check out and it can be a pain living out of a suitcase. I think your suggestion is "right on" for these honeymooners.

We rented Plumeria Moon up north last trip. Great views but accomodations were not the best.