Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   How to visit San Francisco with 2 kids while husband is at a conference? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/how-to-visit-san-francisco-with-2-kids-while-husband-is-at-a-conference-626995/)

TravelingMom Jun 28th, 2006 03:27 AM

How to visit San Francisco with 2 kids while husband is at a conference?

I have the opportunity to go to San Francisco in September with my husband, who will be attending a conference at the conference center.

However, it gets a bit more complicated! I'll be traveling with a 2.5 year old and 5 month old. My parents would be willing to come with us to help me out, but the trick is finding reasonably priced accommodations!

One room at the SF Marriott will be covered by my husband's company. However, at the rate of $250/night, it's a bit steep for my parents.

We're thinking we have a couple options...

1) find a suite somewhere in the vicinity of the conference center, since it's important networking-wise that my husband be closer to the action

2) my husband and I stay at the Marriott and my parents stay somewhere close by but more inexpensive

Does anyone have any suggestions for hotels that would fit either of those scenarios, or other lodging ideas for us??

Thanks!

FainaAgain Jun 29th, 2006 10:45 AM

There are 2 hotels across the street - Mosser cheap and Palomar more expensive. Never stayed there, so check TripAdvisor.

tracys2cents Jun 29th, 2006 11:54 AM

Are you staying that your husband is stuck at the Marriott, or that his company will pay for a different hotel/two rm suiteas long as it is close to the conference and $250?

TravelingMom Jun 30th, 2006 11:33 AM

I saw that the Mosser is close by - I'll have to check it out.

Unfortunately, his company will only pay the cost of his actual lodging, so we can't use the $250 somewhere else...

MichelleY Jun 30th, 2006 12:43 PM

I think you should go with your husband to SF and leave the kids home with your parents. An easy solution for everyone.

MY

padams421 Jun 30th, 2006 12:59 PM

I take my kids everywhere but I agree with the suggestion to leave the kids with the grandparents and enjoy some couple time in a great city.

SAB Jun 30th, 2006 01:00 PM

Brilliant, MY!!

MichelleY Jun 30th, 2006 01:38 PM

Mom: if you are still breastfeeding, start pumping now and freezing the milk for use while your gone. This will be a chore, but it can be done.

Hope you can work this out.

MY

TravelingMom Jul 1st, 2006 11:29 AM

Ah - I wish :) However, it sounds like quite a chore, since I'm nursing, to plan for that and then still deal with all associated issues while on vacation...

The Mosser looks a little sketchy for my parents - I'd feel pretty bad sticking them there while we shack up at the Marriott with the kids!

Underhill Jul 1st, 2006 11:40 AM

The Milano might work for your parents--it's not far from either the Marriott or the Moscone Center. My husband has stayed at both the Marriott and Milano and thought the latter just fine.

TravelTess Jul 1st, 2006 12:36 PM

I just went to biddingfortravel.com, looked at the hotel list and current bids on Priceline. I noticed that somebody got the Marriott for $115. a night for an August stay. You might want to explore that option.

tracys2cents Jul 1st, 2006 08:41 PM

You might check thepowellhotel.com, it's about 2.5 blocks from the Marriott.
Better yet,something on the cable car line might work if they don't mind hopping a cable car to get down to Market street, then just one long block walk to the Marriott. Check the rates at chancellorhotel.com, hotelvintagecourt or the Cartwright.

TravelingMom Jul 17th, 2006 05:44 AM

OK - we found a compromise solution! I'm taking the little one with us and leaving the big kid with the grandparents - who are so excited and are planning their own trip to Sesame Place! Thanks for the advice...

MelissaBeckoff Jul 17th, 2006 07:04 AM

Sesame place is only open weekends after labor day

TravelingMom Jul 17th, 2006 09:25 AM

Important information to know! I'll definitely pass that on to them! Thanks!

MikeT Jul 17th, 2006 09:36 AM

Of course, now you are stuck without babysitters, which means you will be alone with the baby most of the time and won't be able to spend "away" time even for a dinner out.

TravelingMom Jul 17th, 2006 09:59 AM

Good point, Mike - but traveling with the baby is actually so much easier than traveling with the 2.5 year old (or both). Babies are portable and usually easily kept quiet if they're comfortable (at least I've been so lucky so far!). My husband and I aren't all about fancy restaurants, so hopefully it won't slow us down TOO much!