Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   How to split 10 days in Glacier, Waterton, Banff Jasper (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/how-to-split-10-days-in-glacier-waterton-banff-jasper-819246/)

ausc59 Dec 29th, 2009 05:22 AM

How to split 10 days in Glacier, Waterton, Banff Jasper

Dear All - I have searched but haven't been able to quite find what I am asking - Am a little confused about all the different lodges, etc and need to book some ressies...
We are planning a trip in mid-July, prob flying into Kalispell. We will hike (3-6 miles, not full day hikes) and take lots of pics (husband's hobby). I was thinking we'd probably want 4-5 nights around Glacier, Waterton area but not sure the best way to split it up between the lodges and then drive up to Banff, Lake Louise and possibly up to Jasper - not sure about staying up there....Can you help get me started? Thanks much!

laurieb_nyny Dec 29th, 2009 06:06 AM

Most people recommend 3 days in Glacier. I would add on 1 day for Waterton. Waterton has the Prince of Wales hotel which is also nice for High Tea in the afternoon. The rest of your time should be split up in the Canadian Rockies National Parks. Really awesome. How much time depends on what your interests are. You should definitely try to get to Jasper. It is beautiful that far North & at the end of the Icefields Parkway. You could even drive from Waterton to the "other" parks in Canada: Yoho & Kootenay. Worth a half day each & the drive is the Crows Nest Pass -- absolutely spectacular.

Lots of lodging. Where depends on whether you want to be in Park or in the gateway town.

ausc59 Dec 29th, 2009 07:10 AM

We tend to lean towards lodging in parks if it is available - I am struggling with the order in which to travel thru the area - do I start on the West side of Glacier and work my way east and north? Just don't seem to have much of a handle on the flow of the area.

enzian Dec 29th, 2009 08:34 AM

If you are flying in to Kalispell, you could drive the same day to West Glacier (it is only 30 minutes or so from the airport) and spend your first night there, either at Apgar
Village or Lake Mcdonald Lodge. This is all "inside the park" lodging. You can book most of the lodges through Glacier Park, Inc., the official concessionnaire:

http://www.glacierparkinc.com/

At Apgar Village Inn, you would have a lakefront motel room with balcony and views down the length of the lake into the heart of the park. Or you could stay near the other end of the lake at historic Lake McDonald Lodge. This is fairly close (like 5 miles) to the trailhead for the Avalanche Lake hike, a short and easy first-time hike in the park, one you could even do in the evening (just allow time before dark)! Or you could follow the trail along the creek that flows into the lake, up to the cascade, and back in a loop.

The next day, you can spend most of the day driving over the Going to the Sun Road, with a long stop at the top (Logan Pass) for a hike to Hidden Lake Overlook, and a short talk the other direction on the Highline Trail.

With stops at this and other scenic viewpoints along the way, the drive can take 6 hours or so. At the end of GTTS road, you'll leave the park briefly, drive north to Babb and turn back into the park to the Many Glacier area. You can book lodging inside the park (also thru Glacier Park, Inc. at either the historic Many Glacier Hotel, with lakefront rooms, or at the nearby Swiftcurrent Motor Inn, which is more motel-like but has small cabins as well. No lake views from there. Spend two nights in this area and you can do a nice hike on the intervening day. Grinnell Glacier would be a bit beyond your 6 miles limit, but well worth doing for the scenery.

We spend a full week in Glacier and can't still can't get enough, but if you want to include the Canadian Rockies, you better be on your way north after 2 nights at Many Glacier.

ausc59 Dec 29th, 2009 10:54 AM

enzian - Thanks so much...this was what I was looking for. I had read your trip report from a while back...we are really looking foward to this trip - as we have loved our time in other National parks and have heard how lovely Glacier is.

enzian Dec 29th, 2009 11:28 AM

The Canadian parks are gorgeous as well---just a longer drive so we've only made it up there once.

You may need to post in the Canada forum to get information on accommodations up there. I can point to a few places around or near Lake Louise (wildly varying in terms of budget) but I'm no help with Banff or Jasper.

You've got a great trip ahead of you.

ausc59 Dec 31st, 2009 12:16 PM

Thanks for the suggestion - I have posted on the Canada site and am getting some good input there.