How to spend 4 days driving between Bar Harbor, ME and Honesdale PA

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

in mid of July we are going to visit Maine first time and need advise with our last part of the vacation (before dropping off our teenager at the camp).

Part 1. We are driving from DC with 2 stops in NY(just family visit) and one night reserved at Ogunquit, ME
Part 2. July 11 - 19 we have reservations at Bar Harbor and planning to spend most of the time at Acadia National Park. We are checking out Tuesday, July 19

Part 3. ? nights T, W, Th, Fr

Part 4. on Saturday, July 23 around 11 am we have to be at the Honesdale, PA (about 30 min of Scranton, PA)
Part 5. Drive 5 - 6 hours to DC afternoon on Saturday, July 23 (or possible stay longer in PA and driving back to DC on Sunday)

We are not sure what is the best way to divide our four nights between Bar Harbor and Honesdale, PA.

We could leave Bar Harbor very late and drive 3 hours to Portland - three nights and two full days for Portland (not sure if it this good pick to stay long); leave yearly morning on Friday and drive 7 hours with one night stay at Honesdale, PA. Drive home 5-6 hours on Saturday afternoon.

My husband is OK with this plan, but I am very concerned with driving long hours on Friday and on Saturday.

since we are staying long without packing/unpacking at Bar Harbor we may drive slowly to PA and stay one night at different places, but not sure where.

we like hiking, bicycling(not me), sightseeing, museums, guided tours.
Old Jun 19th, 2011, 03:27 AM

I drove from Manchester, NH to Bar Harbor a couple of years ago and there is a lot to see in between. One place you may want to see and stay a night in before you get to Portland is Camden, Maine. It is so pretty! Then make your way to Portland and on home..
Old Jun 19th, 2011, 03:39 AM

You have a lot of options.
1. Leisurely drive to Portland ME, stopping in Camden for Mt Battie, walk around downtown. Continue to Rockland ME for short, easy hike to Owls Head Light. Afternoon at either Farnsworth Art Museum or Owls Head Transportation Museum. Get to Portland ME in time for dinner and evening cruise of Casco Bay. (We've only done the mailboat cruise to islands but this one looks good.) Spend night in Portland. Next day head to NH's White Mountains. Conway is only an hour from Portland.

2. Instead of White Mountains, head to Canterbury Shaker Village. Overnight in Concord NH. Consider half day kayaking trip on Merrimack River. There's plenty of secluded sandy beaches for a picnic lunch. The river was very shallow last summer but there are some deep spots that are popular for swimming. Go west to Keene NH, then Brattleboro VT. Take I91 south. Then Mass Turnpike West to Sturbridge Village. Plan on a full day at Sturbridge Village. You'll be a lot closer to PA so shorter drive on Friday. Depending, you could do some more driving Thurs night to get closer to PA.

I'm sure you will get plenty of suggestions.
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

dfrostnh
I will check option "2" tonight
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

dfrostnh
I will check option "2" tonight