How to sign up for frequent flier miles

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Message: Please don't think I'm an idiot or a troll. I really don't know how to sign up for FF miles. I'm trying to overcome my fear of flight, and this will be my first flight in long time.

I will fly from SFO (San Francisco) to PDX (Portland, OR) round-trip, just got an e-mail from United for $117 RT. Yes, I managed to sign up for their e-mails

Now, do I have to sign up for FF miles before I buy a ticket, or while I'm buying on-line, or will I be entered in the program automatically? How do I get a card or a number? Clueless so far, please help!
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 08:13 AM

It isn't automatic, but it is relatively easy. Go to UAL's website and follow directions. Don't wait to book that discount ticket - those prices could disappear in a matter of hours. You can always give your new FF number to the clerk when you check in at the airport, or you can send your boarding pass and ticket info after the flight to get credit.
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 08:16 AM

On United's web site (www.united.org),
you can click on Join Mileage Plus to
fill in a form to join, there's also
a Program Information link which can
help you get answers to your questions.
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Unfortunately I am not flexible on days, so this time I missed. Anyway, I enrolled in the FF program. I have an alernative - Southwest out of Oakland, so it's not too bad. I'll sign up with them too... Thank you, Pat and Steph!
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 01:23 PM

Sign up for a FF program at any airline you fly on - you can have one on each airline if you want. If you do find yourself flying more and have a strong preference for one airline, you can also get a credit card affilitated with that FF program and have dollars charged credited towards FF miles as well.
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 02:09 AM

Faina, Gail's advise on obtaining a credit card from a major airline company is an excellent suggestion. You can charge your travel expenses including airfare and gain extra FF miles even while you vacation! I'll look for you on "our" other travel board....