How to get to Poughkeepsie, NY??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2019, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I am needing to travel from LGA airport New York to the city of Poughkeepsie but do not have a car so if anyone knew of any buses that go there I would gladly appreciate it..
I plan to travel in a couple of weeks and it will be my first time in New York so I am not familiar with the buses or trains there so if someone could explain easy to follow directions on how to get there and back I could use the help since I do not know how. Thank You. (any place in Poughkeepsie is fine but preferably the main station there)
Old Mar 3rd, 2019, 10:57 AM

You’ll need to take either shuttle bus, taxi or car service to from LGA to either Grand Central Station or Penn Station (both in Manhattan) then take AMTRACK train to Poughkeepsie. A more convoluted option would be to take combination public bus and subway to either Grand Central or Penn Station and then train as above.
Old Mar 3rd, 2019, 11:28 AM

Also, if you go to the LGA website (https://www.laguardiaairport.com/to-...transportation You'll find some helpful information how best to get to the train stations.
Old Mar 3rd, 2019, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Oh ok, Thank You so much RoamsAround! I will look at these options, anything else I'll keep posted here ok.
Old Mar 3rd, 2019, 02:09 PM

There is no getting around the fact that it is a convoluted trip from LGA without a car. But as noted above get to Grand Central and take Metro North to Poughkeepsie. There are many more trains and Grand Central is much more civilized than Penn, especially if you have luggage. And it may be cheaper.
Old Mar 3rd, 2019, 02:32 PM
J62

I've traveled from LGA to Poughkeepsie many times. As RA & IMD state the best way is to get yourself to Grand Central (= better option than Penn Station), then take a train.

Commuter trains (Metro North RR) run from Grand Central and there are trains every hr or 1/2 hr all day.
Amtrak runs from Penn Station, and will be a bit faster since it has fewer stops, but there trains are less frequent and more expensive.

There is a food court in the lower level of GC where you can pick up a snack/meal while you wait for the train.

Personally, I'd take a cab from LGA to Grand Central, then get on the next Metro North - express if it's an option (eg evening commute time), otherwise a local which will take a bit longer.
Old Mar 4th, 2019, 12:06 PM

Might be easier to take theMetro North train from 125th Street to Poughkeepsie.
Old Mar 5th, 2019, 01:42 AM
J62

Getting on the MNRR @ 125th st would be a shorter taxi ride from LGA, yes. The downside is that trains only stop at 125th st for a minute or two. Trains from all the different lines stop there - Hudson (to POK), Harlem (to Brewster), as well as the lines that run to CT all stop. I don't recall the track layout - not sure if there is just one track or if matthew joseph would need to figure out which track to wait at. 125th st is also open air./unprotected from the elements.

Grand Central, on the other hand is an enclosed, protected space. All trains originate here so they are already in the station and open to board at your leisure. There are clear sign boards indicating which train goes where.

So my bottom line, for someone who knows NYC and MNRR, then 125th st may be a little better to get to from LGA, but the advantages of getting on the train at GC outweigh any benefit of 125th.
Old Mar 5th, 2019, 08:13 AM

Definitely take MetroNorth (Hudson Line) from Grand Central Terminal to Poughkeepsie. Much cheaper than Amtrak and more frequent departures from Grand Central Terminal.

If you don't want to schlep your baggage twice, consider this express bus for $16 each way...

https://www.nycairporter.com/schedul...altolaguardia/
Old Mar 5th, 2019, 08:51 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Now the OP is asking how to get to the Statue of Liberty from LGA (see his other thread) so there may be some change in his plans.