Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

how to get to minsk theater from Huntington, ny

Old Sep 25th, 2011, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to be staying at the Hilton in Huntington Ny and going to Lion King on Sunday evening Oct 2 What would be the best and safest way to get there and get back. thank you
Old Sep 25th, 2011, 06:24 PM

you don't have many choices

Long Island R R has trains, take about an hour to Penn Station then take subway, cab or bus to the theatre. Leave PLENTY Of time if using a taxi as Times Square gets jammed prior to curtain.

http://lirr42.mta.info/schedules.php

taxi will run at least 80-90 each way..

if oyu have hte $$ you could check into a limo service.

but the train should be fine, it's a long show so you may not be taking the train back till after 11 or so.
Old Sep 25th, 2011, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

WE will have a rented car ...could we drive to Penn Station or would that be crazy.
Old Sep 25th, 2011, 08:14 PM

In order to get to the Minsk Theater you would need to take Aeroflot. But to get to the Minskoff, the best way is LIRR.

The Minskoff is on Broadway and 45 Street. Penn Station is 7th Ave and 33rd Street. It is about a fiftenn minute walk. The last thing you want to do is drive near Penn Station and walk. You can drive near the theatre and put it in a parking lot.
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 03:30 AM

Um, you do realize that you are nowhere NYC. On a Sunday night show you could drive into the city and park near the theater. (Go to iconparking.com to find a nearby garage and make a reservation.) Expect this to cost about $30, plus gas and bridge tolls of about $15 round trip.

Your other option - depending on how near the train station you are in Huntington - is to take the train to Penn Station and walk or cab to the theater from there. At the other end you will then need to drive or cab to your hotel. Not sure how often trains runs late Sunday evening, but Huntington is a major station so I would assume quite often - probably every 30 minutes or so. But do check the LIRR schedule.

As long as you already have a car the cost of these two methods will be fairly similar.
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 03:50 AM

Assuming the trains run from the city at 11 p.m. or later, the best way would probably be the train. Since you are apparently unfamiliar with the city, I would not venture to drive in and park in garage. (Ironically, you don't have to feed the meters on Sundays, but since you don't know the city, I wouldn't attempt to drive in and find an vacant one.) I further assume that you would be able to park at the station in Long Island, so getting back to you hotel apparently would not be a problem.
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 06:13 AM

Just come into Manhattan on the train in the afternoon. Look around Manhattan and have an early dinner and then go to the show. Depending on what you want to eat, you might want to make some dinner reservations. I also would caution against driving. Traffic into Manhattan on a Sunday afternoon can be particularly heavy at times, so if you did drive, come in the late morning. There are lots of garages to lark in near the theater.
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 08:08 AM

re: Assuming the trains run from the city at 11 p.m. or later, the best way would probably be the train.

I would not have suggested the train if I hadn't checked that the trains run...they run at least till 1 AM on Sunday nights. OP should be out of the show by 10:30 or so...IIRC.
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

You have been so helpful..is the train safe that late at night...
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 08:35 AM

The problem with taking a train out to the suburbs that late is that it is often difficult to get a cab to your final destination - with a wait of easily half an hour or more. I'm not aware that hotel is within walking distance of the station.

If yuo know what train you will take to get back to Huntington you might want to arrange for a cab to meet you there.
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 08:38 AM

nytraveler, the OP has stated she has a rental car, and I assume she'll be able to park at the railroad station on a
Sunday. So, she won't have to look for a cab.
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 09:27 AM

Yes, the commuter trains to places like Huntington are safe late at night.

Many Port Jeff Branch trains terminate in Huntington so it has a lot of parking. Most stations have free parking on weekends, but I can't find anything to confirm for sure. Even if you do have to pay, there is a daily pay lot right next to the station, and you should have no problem finding an open spot on a Sunday.