Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   How to get to from Las Vegas airport to strip? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/how-to-get-to-from-las-vegas-airport-to-strip-630072/)

ccalhoon Jul 11th, 2006 07:24 AM

How to get to from Las Vegas airport to strip?

What is the best way to get from the airport to the strip, we are staying at the stratosphere hotel. Thanks!

Pappy Jul 11th, 2006 07:33 AM

Take a taxi.

MelissaHI Jul 11th, 2006 07:36 AM

or a shuttle. if there's more people in your party a taxi is best.

freespirit61 Jul 11th, 2006 07:40 AM

The airport is close to the strip. Take a taxi or airport shuttle depending on the number of people. Check out www.goingtovegas.com. for prices.

GoTravel Jul 11th, 2006 07:47 AM

Planes practically land on the strip.

Follow the crowds after baggage.

Scsherie Jul 11th, 2006 07:56 AM

Take a cab. Its pretty inexpensive and beats taking the shuttles that stop at all the other hotels. A cab only costs around 15 bucks. IThere are tons of cabs at the airport. I go to Vegas 4-5 times a year! Love that place!

Lori Jul 11th, 2006 08:02 AM

The Stratosphere is way up the strip, depending upon the time of day/night a taxi will be about $20. We go to Vegas alot and from the airport to the Mirage was $15 in May, but it does depend on traffic, street driver takes, time of the day, etc.

A taxi is the most practical if there are two (or more of you). For one person who is trying to be economical I guess a shuttle would work (altho it would take awhile to get there as they stop at several hotels along the way).

If you are going to Vegas for the Strip Experience I would not stay at the Stratosphere.

SAnParis Jul 11th, 2006 08:12 AM

Taxi, unless you have a large group, then take a limo, that will negate a wait, & the taxi line.

FainaAgain Jul 11th, 2006 08:14 AM

If you pick a shuttle, keep in mind: Stratosphere is not on the strip as far as the shuttles are concerned.

You should take a shuttle to downtown, and the price is about $1 per person higher.

I think we paid $4.50 per person to the strip, but Strat. and downtown was $5.50.

missypie Jul 11th, 2006 08:16 AM

Does no one else think the title of this thread is a hoot?

rjw_lgb_ca Jul 11th, 2006 08:23 AM

missypie: I do!

"Grab a cab and make sure you have your G-string and pasties on under your dress!"

Keith Jul 11th, 2006 11:03 AM

How long are you going to be there? I've picked up rental cars in Las Vegas that were cheaper than a taxi.

Keith

pat Jul 11th, 2006 11:10 AM

I wouldn`t stay at the Stratosphere. I think the area is kind of dumpy, and not close to the good hotels on the strip. I took the shuttle one way, as I was alone and it was kind of fun to see all the hotels. Going back, I was with family, and a cab was cheaper, since there were 4 of us.

GoTravel Jul 11th, 2006 11:19 AM

LOL! I'm slow today!

Annabel Jul 11th, 2006 11:27 AM

We always take a limo, by limo I mean town car. Call the hotel and add a limo transfer to your reservation. Nothing beats having someone greet you at the airport, handle your luggage and take you directly to your hotel. No lines, no waiting, no schlepping. Since the strip is so close and it's a town car, it is not a lot of money. Nothing beats getting into an air conditioned car with a cool drink waiting for you.

ccalhoon Jul 11th, 2006 04:58 PM

OK OK, I am not going to the airport in vegas to strip! You guys are pretty funny!

I will be there for a law enforcement training that is being held at the Strat, that is why I am staying there!

Thanks for the comments, all of them! I will try the limo thing with 6 people and if that doesn't work, I'll grab a cab.

manduss Jul 12th, 2006 07:05 AM

For 6 people, you will need a limo larger than a towncar - especially if you include baggage. You should be able to get a standard strech for under $100 from the airport.
It may be more cost effective to get a cab (or 2 cabs). There are numerous SUV/minivan cabs available.

LOYL Jul 12th, 2006 07:31 AM

I have to admit, the title got me to read this post!

trippinkpj Jul 12th, 2006 05:12 PM

I'm with Lori. With it way up on the strip, I'd take a shuttle unless I had 4 or more people. If you do have a big group, contact Las Vegas Limo and ask for their airport shuttle rate.

lifelist Jul 13th, 2006 01:37 PM

The problem with taking a shuttle is that they tend to stop at a lot of hotels dropping people off. If you're going to the Stratosphere, chances are you'll be the last one dropped off, which means that the ride to the hotel can take anywhere from 30-60 minutes. A taxi is much faster.