Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   How to get from San Diego to La Jolla (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/how-to-get-from-san-diego-to-la-jolla-460866/)

luvstotravel Jul 19th, 2004 08:36 AM

How to get from San Diego to La Jolla

What is the easiest and fastest way to get from San Diego to La Jolla? I will be visiting San Diego in November and I would like to go shopping in La Jolla for a day but I won't have a rental car. How can I get there?
Thanks!

Rosemary1 Jul 19th, 2004 08:45 AM

I suppose you could "treat" yourself to public transportation, argh, which this area is not known to be very user-friendly. I'm not sure what a cabbie would run you.

I've never visited this area withouta rental car so I really can't say.

I do know however that La Jolla isn't very far from San Diego, and I LOVED IT! Check out Dana Point too while you're there.

Have a wonderful time! Perhaps you could consider renting a car just for the day?

Do let us know!

Happy Travels!!!

Barbara Jul 19th, 2004 09:11 AM

Fortunately, La Jolla is not only quite close to San Diego, it's actually part of the City of San Diego.

Without a car, the quickest and easiest way to get there would be by cab.

Dana Point is about an hour north of San Diego by car.

knute Jul 19th, 2004 09:33 AM

Not sure why you are being directed to Dana Point. It's a nice marina but nothing much there. For scenery and shopping, go 5 miles further to Laguna Beach.

cher_cher Jul 19th, 2004 09:35 AM

I usually have a rental when I'm down there and once hired a car to take me from La Jolla to the airport for $40. I'd imagine a cab to cost a little less than that. Here is a trip planner for the San Diego metro transit: http://www.sdcommute.com/Rider_Infor...ning/Index.asp

ltt Jul 19th, 2004 10:49 AM

there are buses that you can take with no problems. or rent a bike. cabs get pretty expensive if you get caught in some traffic.

lcuy Jul 19th, 2004 11:28 AM

Easiest and fastest is to take a cab, but for the cost you could rent a car for the day.
The cheapest is to catch a bus near Horton Plaza. It will take about 45 mins to an hour to get to La Jolla.

Why are some of you recommending Dana Point and Laguna Beach? If getting to La Jolla will be an issue... DP and LB are 3/4 of the way to Los Angeles!

BTW, La Jolla is in San Diego County but is a separate city.

rjw_lgb_ca Jul 19th, 2004 11:44 AM

lcuy: You know, this was discussed in another thread, and it turns out that, although La Jolla thinks of itself as a separate city (its ZIP code separates it somewhat from metro San Diego), it is a community within the City of San Diego and has been since 1850. It's just never bothered to incorporate itself as a separate municipality.

Barbara Jul 19th, 2004 12:30 PM

rjw, as usual,is correct.

As in all major cities, there are many zip codes, all within the boundaries of the city of San Diego. I live in a different community, with a different zip code, but have the same city council member as La Jolla.

icuy, I pointed out how far away Dana Point is because Rosemary suggested checking it out, as though it is right next door to La Jolla. I certainly did not mean that it would be a good idea to do so.

rjw_lgb_ca Jul 19th, 2004 12:40 PM

Barbara, oh if only I were correct most of the time...! I've been caught on that question a couple of times (as well as the status of San Pedro, a "suburb" of Los Angeles).... But I do love La Jolla, whatever it is!!

luvs, the Village is a great strolling area within LJ with the little shops you're probably thinking of. Hopefully you'll be able to take lunch somewhere with ocean views-- like George's at the Cove, my favorite. November might be a bit brisk on the terrace, but....

Barbara Jul 19th, 2004 12:43 PM

November should be lovely on the terrace for lunch. It will be warm, even hot, and clear. And the soup is sooo good!

lcuy Jul 19th, 2004 12:45 PM

I stand corrected! My sister, who lives there, said it was, and it does have La Jolla as a separate postal name. fooled me...

Well, at least Coronado and Del Mar are separate!