Grand Tetons - Leigh vs String Lake hikes

Old Mar 31st, 2014, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Grand Tetons - Leigh vs String Lake hikes

As I have mentioned on another thread I'll be taking my daughter and 7 year old granddaughter to Yellowstone and Grand Teton Parks late July of this year.

She's asked for a fair number of hikes.

I'm planning the Jenny Lake shuttle and Hidden Falls and Inspiration Point hikes.

Depending upon our timing and how she feels by then I want to have a few hikes in reserve. I don't want them too long or too difficult. Also, good scenery would be a definite plus.

I thought of String and/or Leigh Lakes.

I've tried Google Images and Youtube but very sparse results.

Anybody do these and have opinions? Thanks.
Old Apr 4th, 2014, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How about the hike from the Death Canyon trailhead to Phelps Lake? A little less busy than the others. Or walking around Bradley and Taggert Lakes will probably be slightly less crowded as well. I don't know that the trail is well-maintained around Leigh Lake. String Lake can be a bottleneck, but you could try going first thing in the morning. Rockefeller Preserve has some easy hikes, but the parking lot gets full quickly.

Those are the easier hikes I can think of off the top of my head in GTNP. Have a good trip!
Old Apr 5th, 2014, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

Phelps Lake Overlook looks interesting. Thanks.
Old Apr 6th, 2014, 03:36 PM

Meyer, looking forward to your reports as we're heading to the Tetons in August!
Old Apr 6th, 2014, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

wave725,

This trip may be quite different from my other as I'm taking my daughter (we've travelled together before) and my 7 year old (almost 8) granddaughter.

She said she wants to try Mt Washburn. So we'll see how the trip goes.
Old Apr 9th, 2014, 07:11 PM

The String Lake towards Leigh hike is almost flat and a nice walk for a little one. If you want to add to the walk, just continue along Leigh Lake as far as you want, and it stays flat. You end up at some little beaches that are fine for wading. The trail along Leigh puts you in front of Mt Moran for another nice view.

Another great walk is the new-ish Rockefeller nature ctr trail. It's another easy walk of about 3 miles that is easy walking. If you want something more challenging, you can just add to your Hidden Falls walk by continuing up and into Cascade Canyon. Once you get into the canyon, the walking is pretty easy for miles-- the hardest part is getting to the overlook above the falls.