Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   How to get a road map of Southwest area? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/how-to-get-a-road-map-of-southwest-area-659722/)

Filloa Nov 19th, 2006 05:17 PM

How to get a road map of Southwest area?

I know it is an off-topic question, but I am not familiarized with American editions of road maps and I don't think they are available at my country.
What I am looking for is a road map which includes Arizona, Utah, New Mexico and Colorado.
Any suggestion for getting it from Amazon or a similar place?

ronkala Nov 19th, 2006 05:42 PM

Contact the tourist information office of each state and ask for tourist information and map, or just the map.

Arizona
(866) 239-9712
www.arizonaguide.com

Colorado
(800) 265-6723
www.colorado.com

New Mexico
(8000 733-6396
www.newmexico.org

Utah
(800) 200-1160
www.utah.com

Amazon should have the Rand-McNally Atlas.

for mileage, travel time, and hotels between starting and stopping points go to freetrip.com

DebitNM Nov 19th, 2006 06:24 PM

I assume you are going to be driving. I don't know if you have something similar to AAA where you are from, but they have great road maps.

If you can't get the maps you need, I will be happy to send them to you.

Email me directly if you'd like.

Debi

bookhall Nov 20th, 2006 04:11 AM

I think what the original poster was after is a single map covering the states mentioned.

When we did the Las Vegas/Zion/Bryce loop a couple of years ago, I wanted the same thing--and had no luck finding it.

Wouldn't mind one myself, that would include the Grand Canyon, as well...

MikePinTucson Nov 20th, 2006 04:23 AM

AAA does have maps covering the southwestern states. Try going to www.aaa.com

DebitNM Nov 20th, 2006 05:10 AM

Not sure Mike if you can get maps from AAA unless you are a member [I am and have those maps available]. They would be Arizona & NM on one map and UT & CO on a second map.

Debi

Filloa Nov 20th, 2006 06:10 AM

What good info!
I would try with Rand-McNally edition at Amazon... although the first search was not very succesful.
I have tried the links and they are really useful... and I guess that I am going to collect a lot of info from them. I have asked for the brochures, but I guess it will take quite a long time to arrive to Spain.
Many thanks for the quick and accurate answers... and the so kind offer from Debi.
I hope I will be able to help all of you so well if you happen to visit my country.

J_Correa Nov 20th, 2006 08:51 AM

I prefer atlases to road maps - they seem to hold up better over time and also are more managable. When we went to Germany and Austria, I bought an atlas, then made color copies of the areas we needed and bound them in a thin folder so it would take up less room.

MikePinTucson Nov 20th, 2006 04:14 PM

Degitnm,

The southwest AAA maps have a lot more than just those 4 states. I believe they have California, Nevada, AZ, Utah, New Mexico, Colorado, Texas, and Oklahoma.

I just started working for AAA, so I can check tomorrow. But no, they are not for sale to the general public. You need to be a member.

However, if soemone is a member of a European AA club, there may be a reciprocity agreement. We have had people from Germany come in and get maps. Europeans need to go to their local auto club to see if they have a card they can issue to get AAA services, maps, etc., here in the US.

So, filloa, if you are a member of a local auto club, check into that.

richbutnot Nov 20th, 2006 04:27 PM

AAA has a great Indian Country map that covers the four corners area.

DebitNM Nov 20th, 2006 04:41 PM

errr Mike that's DebitNM with a B, no fingerpointing here!

I sort of got the maps mixed. I am referring to State maps, not region.

The states of AZ and NM are on same AAA map [opposite sides of paper]; Colorado and Wyoming; and Utah and Nevada. Those are the 3 I had in mind.

Debi

MikePinTucson Nov 20th, 2006 06:08 PM

Oops! sorry, deBitNM. My fingers seem to be faster than my brain at times.

Yeah, AAA has all sorts of different map combinations. You can also get a western states map that has all of the southwestern and northwestern states.